Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

35 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

As other have said about his petulance especially one instance in the 2nd half Watkins went to win a header which he did but as it didn’t land straight at buendia he threw his arms up having a strop, he gave it away a few times last night and didn’t even try and run back just arms in the air and walking back

Having players who want to win and have the drive to do it comes with negatives and his petulance is one of them, look at all the great players and most of them have it

22 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I do think his Napoleon syndrome is holding him back at times and him trying to prove to everyone how good he is means he can overdo the simple stuff. I think there is a middle ground Emi needs to find. I don't think writing him off is fair because he has been integral in most of the good this season and the middle ground he needs to find rests solely his decision making. If his decision making improves and he learns to release the ball(more often than not) before losing it, his game improves dramatically. The doubts of his credentials for an aspiring top 6 team disappear and he goes on to the next level.

I think he will learn this with Emery being the teacher no stone will go unturned.  Would be great to have Coutinho back as what he lacks in petulance ( drive to win) he makes up for in decision making, be an interesting sub to make if we need a goal. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

De Bruyne has 80.2 pass accuracy this season while Buendia has 79.8 accuracy

And Buendia plays fewer passes  and doesn't play as many long balls. Also has less assists, less progressive carries, and less goals.

Also doesn't just give possession away from misplaced passes. He gets dispossessed far to easily.

His misplaced passes often come when we are trying to get out of our own half after withstanding pressure. So he often keeps inviting pressure.  McGinn is also guilty of this, but less so now. In those situations keeping the ball, retaining possession is often needed to disrupt opposition momentum, and give the team a moment of calm.

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Haha I mean you’re comparing Buendia to the record breaking transfer. It’s hardly peanuts to peanuts. 

And I’m sorry - there’s no way Unai would pick Coutinho over Buendia. He didn’t when he was fit. For an attacking player, which is what Unai has him deployed as, Buendia is in the right place off the ball almost all the time which is a very difficult thing to find. 

I'm comparing him to the kind of quality we need to find (Grealish).

Coutinho was looking good before his recent injury, and was playing the ten role. As number 10's Coutinho is far superior. He even posted better defensive stats than any other midfielder / attacker.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Coutinho was looking good before his recent injury, and was playing the ten role. As number 10's Coutinho is far superior. He even posted better defensive stats than any other midfielder / attacker.

Really hope Coutinho comes back for the last 3/4 matches, even if just an option off the bench. Can't see it myself. 

36 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

And Buendia plays fewer passes  and doesn't play as many long balls. Also has less assists, less progressive carries, and less goals.

Also doesn't just give possession away from misplaced passes. He gets dispossessed far to easily.

His misplaced passes often come when we are trying to get out of our own half after withstanding pressure. So he often keeps inviting pressure.  McGinn is also guilty of this, but less so now. In those situations keeping the ball, retaining possession is often needed to disrupt opposition momentum, and give the team a moment of calm.

Pass accuracy is probably a reliable stat to compare them both with over a season. 

The others you stated are massively impacted by our style of play, respective league positions, and the fact Buendia was playing under Gerrard for a third of the season. 

Try comparing them since January and I'm sure their stats would be more aligned. 

Buendia was brilliant against Newcastle and Brentford. Let's hope he can perform at that level at Old Trafford. Pointless talking about Coutinho. He might not play for us again and doubt very much if he will be with us next season 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really hope Coutinho comes back for the last 3/4 matches, even if just an option off the bench. Can't see it myself. 

Even if he does, he won't be sharp. If it wasn't for his injury problems he'd be an important player for us.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Unbeaten in ten, scored in 20 games in a row, kept 7 clean sheets in 10, and people are saying our most creative player in that run and one of our most hard-working defensive players to boot is not good enough.

Truly boggles the mind. We really do have some miserable fans. Also to say he's as good as Traore 🤣

We are not in Europe yet, and people think we should replace the players who are most contributing to us even having a chance of it. Wonder if his surname was Goodday from Sutton Coldfield, whether people would be picking holes.

I  don't get this talk of Coutinho in the Buendia thread. Buendia has been a key player for Emery Coutinho is a non factor 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Don't mean to sound patronising but to use the word "protagonists" when it's not his first language - really impressive to me. He sounds really intelligent and switched on.

I agree with all your post.

His English is brilliant.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2023 at 14:17, Philosopher said:

Oh yeah that seems totally realistic to compare him to a player who went for £100m (and would have gone for more if not for a release clause). The lad who is currently probably the second-best performing player for the best side in the world. Yep totally realistic we will find that sort of quality and makes sense to compare them.

;)

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 00:17, Philosopher said:

Ridiculous on all points. I would imagine other Buendia detractors would laugh at this. Also where are you getting these stats from? He has one of worst per 90 tackle rate of the squad so what are these defensive stats you speak of?

• Like 1

When we find him in enough space so he can turn, he's very productive. But teams that force him to receive the ball with his back to goal know he is very weak at shielding and maintaining possession in this situation. That's why I think some Villa fans are negative about him - they see him getting dispossessed or trying to force a pass to relieve the pressure he is under.

It's a conundrum that Unai has got right on several occasions, but not always - it's about getting him into space with intelligent movement from both him and the other midfielders - to draw opposition players away from him.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

On 26/04/2023 at 16:44, gilbertoAVFC said:

Unbeaten in ten, scored in 20 games in a row, kept 7 clean sheets in 10, and people are saying our most creative player in that run and one of our most hard-working defensive players to boot is not good enough.

Truly boggles the mind. We really do have some miserable fans. Also to say he's as good as Traore 🤣

We are not in Europe yet, and people think we should replace the players who are most contributing to us even having a chance of it. Wonder if his surname was Goodday from Sutton Coldfield, whether people would be picking holes.

Exactly this 

we’re top 3 since Emery took over and our players have been used properly.

But no, it’s not good enough.  We should have bought that Bruno before Newcastle got him.. now THATs a world class player!

95E87075-CCFE-4FC2-8911-4CA28DD37AD5.jpeg.6e463cd583c1200b302e5f65bcbc8ca9.jpeg4DF8B22F-E202-485B-8837-429A7563B18F.jpeg.6408e94d3a8584a7f31f9501251144d5.jpeg

Buendia can be frustrating at times but his also one of my favourite players to watch in this team. If he was to pick up an injury/suspension and was missing for a couple of games I bet people would be screaming for his return. 

After Mings, Martinez, Watkins, Kamara his probably the next player we have to have fit as we’ve not got anybody in the squad like him. Coutinho can’t stay fit, and doesn’t really play 90 minutes either. 

• Like 2

Â