Summer 2021 transfer thread

villa4europe

I see it's time for my annual pointless whinge that the Guardian's transfer interactive (https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/jun/07/mens-transfer-window-summer-2021-all-deals-from-europes-top-five-leagues) tells people about transfers involving at least 1 club from Europe's top 5 leagues (PL, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1), so - as usual - if a player moves from Brest to Reims they'll gladly report it, but if a player moves from Fulham to West Brom it might as well not have happened, who cares.

It's like they're leaning in to what a stereotypical right-winger imagines the Guardian's priorities would be.

• Like 1

Transfermarkt and betinf haven't really started yet, I wanted one that showed pre contracts 

I'm on football database.eu or something, that goes a bit too far, it looks like every registered player in the world, if you want to know the dealings of the Welsh 3rd division that's the site for you

Did see that izzy brown has been released by Chelsea, what a waste, played as many games for the baggies as a 16 year old as he did in 8 years at Chelsea 

• Like 2

Chelsea going hard for Haaland apparently. I’d love to see him in the Premier League. Raiola will make it difficult no doubt, and whoever gets him will have to pay through the nose for him!

Edited by villan-scott

22 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Chelsea going hard for Haaland apparently. I’d love to see him in the Premier League. Raiola will make it difficult no doubt, and whoever gets him will have to pay through the nose for him!

Mino isnt having his best summer, Donnarumma he **** up and Haaland release goes down next summer as well so will miss the sell on clause

• Like 1

On 06/06/2021 at 14:01, Genie said:

I expect Wijanldum will also be paid a multi-million pound signing fee, plus agent fees.

I’m surprised there’s a fight for him though from the big boys. He’s never struck me as anything special.

I have found this transfer to be particularly amusing on 3 fronts:-

1. Barcelona no longer have the financial clout to bring in mediocre names, let alone big names. They are financially ruined and suspect that Messi will be leaving as they can no longer afford him;  
  2. PSG are wasting money on mediocre players but can still overpay the likes of Barcelona so if a player wants a final pay day, they can get one without going to an "ESL" club; and 
  3. One of the suggested factors is that Wijnaldum really respects Pochettino so underlines the fact that Pochettino is not going to Spurs like they want so it is going to screw them over as well. 

And there's Villa just quietly and "unexpectedly" continuing to sign players without any worry or hassle on sizeable fees. It is a weird place to be :) 

• Like 2

It’s reported in a couple of places that PSG are paying double what Barcelona offered him. 
It’s hard to know if that’s Barcelona trying to get him for peanuts, or PSG going way over the top.

7 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

1. Barcelona no longer have the financial clout to bring in mediocre names, let alone big names. They are financially ruined and suspect that Messi will be leaving as they can no longer afford him;  
  2. PSG are wasting money on mediocre players but can still overpay the likes of Barcelona so if a player wants a final pay day, they can get one without going to an "ESL" club; and 
  3. One of the suggested factors is that Wijnaldum really respects Pochettino so underlines the fact that Pochettino is not going to Spurs like they want so it is going to screw them over as well. 

And there's Villa just quietly and "unexpectedly" continuing to sign players without any worry or hassle on sizeable fees. It is a weird place to be :) 

4. Koeman wanted him despite laporta offering a new contract to puig and publicly stating that they should play him more 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Pissed off Liverpool too, he wanted to stay, Klopp wanted him to stay but they lowballed him im negotiations 

Now they have to spend about 50 million on a replacement when the owners are so cheap

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Looks like Donnarumma has found a home to feed himself for xmas.....Paris Saint Germain.

2 huge ‘free’ transfers for PSG this summer. Can’t see them paying much out in transfer fees for attached players this summer and more focus on keeping Neymar and Mbappe. 

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Looks like Donnarumma has found a home to feed himself for xmas.....Paris Saint Germain.

Not a bad pickup for them. He could potentially be their starting keeper for the next 15 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

This guy been linked with a few different moves...

Just read this.

It's not the worst thing to come out as far as the players career etc.

There have been rumours about African players having very different identities before, but this is the first case I can remember it being proven.

Obafemi Martins was allegedly well into his 20's when he debuted for Inter Milan at 18

16 hours ago, cyrusr said:

1. Barcelona no longer have the financial clout to bring in mediocre names, let alone big names. They are financially ruined and suspect that Messi will be leaving as they can no longer afford him.

Barcelona are willing to mess up their club by holding on Messi until he retires so they can eventually cash in on making some sort of Messi museum at Camp Nou. They're intent on it. It's bonkers and they'll go the way of AC Milan if they're not careful. They never really rediscovered their club identity after holding onto the likes of Maldini (and others) until he was 72.

Just now, Beastmix said:

Barcelona are willing to mess up their club by holding on Messi until he retires so they can eventually cash in on making some sort of Messi museum at Camp Nou. They're intent on it. It's bonkers and they'll go the way of AC Milan if they're not careful. They never really rediscovered their club identity after holding onto the likes of Maldini (and others) until he was 72.

Whole marketing and revenue structure is based around him 

Would be like us losing grealish and realising the official calendar has Jack on it for September 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Not a bad pickup for them. He could potentially be their starting keeper for the next 15 years. 

not with his agent, he will be trying to sell him again in 2

37 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Just read this.

It's not the worst thing to come out as far as the players career etc.

There have been rumours about African players having very different identities before, but this is the first case I can remember it being proven.

Obafemi Martins was allegedly well into his 20's when he debuted for Inter Milan at 18

Diallo at United changed his name a few months back as he had some dodgy dealings with the uncle of Hamed Traore of Sassuolo. I think they were down as brothers when they both started the career

On 06/06/2021 at 14:01, Genie said:

I expect Wijanldum will also be paid a multi-million pound signing fee, plus agent fees.

I’m surprised there’s a fight for him though from the big boys. He’s never struck me as anything special.

Instrumental in Newcastle’s relegation years ago