VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Jebus, three more years....

Coldplay will stop recording music as a band in 2025, frontman Chris Martin has revealed.

Martin made the announcement on Radio 2 on Wednesday, in a clip trailing ahead to his Christmas Show with Jo Whiley on the same channel on Thursday evening.

"Our last proper record will come out in 2025, and after that I think we will only tour," he said.

"And maybe we'll do some collaborative things but the Coldplay catalogue, as it were, finishes then."

BBC

I think I'd rather wake up everyday in the hope that they've split up rather than have to wait three whole years

• Haha 1

Limited audience, in fact I would go as far to say I am the only regular poster who had the new Abba album for Christmas. Certainly the only one that would admit to it. Anyway, it is definitely an Abba record, a continuation of their career and carries on in sound from The Visitors, 40 years ago. To me not influenced by anything that has come in their wake and without question, without any nods to what is popular now. 

I like that, they haven't damaged their legacy and they aren't a band that are trying to emulate Adele, Dua Lipa or Ed Sheeran. They are Abba doing Abba. Voyage is a great pop record, that doesn't try to be anything else. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Jebus, three more years....

BBC

I think I'd rather wake up everyday in the hope that they've split up rather than have to wait three whole years

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886n1zn8nw59zpuxleork

to be honest I’ve managed to avoid Coldplay for ages now, in a similar way I cannot name/remember any Adele, Ginger Busker etc songs.

I know they still exist but I’m not affected by their insomnia curing music 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

to be honest I’ve managed to avoid Coldplay for ages now, in a similar way I cannot name/remember any Adele, Ginger Busker etc songs.

I know they still exist but I’m not affected by their insomnia curing music 

Same. Ish. 

Coldplay, I can name one: Yellow 

Adele, same: Rolling in the Deep 

Sheeran, nope, nothing. 

• Like 1

I got The Ultra Vivid Lament by The Manics for Crimbo. 

Not sure if it's a special edition but the cover is amazing. It's like a Ladybird book with lots or. Artwork, lyrics, credits etc. 

Brilliant idea. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not sure if it's a special edition but the cover is amazing. It's like a Ladybird book with lots or. Artwork, lyrics, credits etc. 

Brilliant idea. 

It's the hardback CD version

If the cover is autographed, it was bought from the bands website directly, if it has a card inside with autographs, it was bought from Amazon. Yep thats the Manics, the Generation Terrorists, fighters of corporate oppression, encouraging people to give money to Bezos

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

If the cover is autographed, it was bought from the bands website directly, if it has a card inside with autographs, it was bought from Amazon. Yep thats the Manics, the Generation Terrorists, fighters of corporate oppression, encouraging people to give money to Bezos

Was from HMV. It's got no signatures but yes, I'd rather keep money away from Amazon. 

I just think it's a really good idea.  CDs have never been nice things to own like Vinyl but making it more like that with plenty or Art and informat9is a good way of distinguishing it from an MP3 as a nice possession.  Sadly most bands or more probably record companies seem to be going the other way with a tiny cardboard sleeve which doesn't even have the booklet insert CDs used to have. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Was from HMV. It's got no signatures but yes, I'd rather keep money away from Amazon. 

I just think it's a really good idea.  CDs have never been nice things to own like Vinyl but making it more like that with plenty or Art and informat9is a good way of distinguishing it from an MP3 as a nice possession.  Sadly most bands or more probably record companies seem to be going the other way with a tiny cardboard sleeve which doesn't even have the booklet insert CDs used to have. 

That stuff has been going on a while tbh, sometimes its nice to own. I have a coffee table sized hardback book of Sigur Ros' Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust album that includes an actual piece of a film still and a DVD. All the pixtures in this massive book are stills from the vdeos, thatsn massive though. I also have a few multi CD "Boxsets" that are in book format. I agree I like them but they are a pain storage wise as I have CD specific shelves

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I often wonder what the first album Manics make of their current selves! 

I reckon they’d have given up and taken jobs at the Swansea Wimpy if they knew this was the tripe they’d continue to dish out… 

(personally I didn’t mind them until post Design For Life) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have a coffee table sized hardback book of Sigur Ros' Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust album 

I was so close to buying that once. Was really torn but ended up plumping for Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa instead. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was so close to buying that once. Was really torn but ended up plumping for Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa instead. 

What you make of it? I considered it but not entirely sold on it. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What you make of it? I considered it but not entirely sold on it. 

I just wasn't keen which is why I only downloaded Sigur Ros' Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust  instead of buying it. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Brilliant idea. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I often wonder what the first album Manics make of their current selves! 

I reckon they’d have given up and taken jobs at the Swansea Wimpy if they knew this was the tripe they’d continue to dish out… 

(personally I didn’t mind them until post Design For Life) 

Oh look.  I've mentioned a band in the music thread and they've immediately been trashed. 

tenor.gif

Just now, sidcow said:

Oh look.  I've mentioned a band in the music thread and they've immediately been trashed. 

tenor.gif

Ah sorry @sidcow - I apologise. 

Manics we’re great in their day but (in my opinion) now produce music they would’ve despised and were against when they set out. 

• Like 1

Wrong thread!

Quick! What shall I replace it with?

I know, I don’t actually have any Manic Street Preachers. Maybe a CD somewhere out the garage? Maybe.

Edited by chrisp65

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

tenor.gif

You sure. You said you bought the Dua Lipa album and I asked you how it was???

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

You sure. You said you bought the Dua Lipa album and I asked you how it was???

Yeah, that was just a joke. I picked a recent big selling pop album to compete with whatever that record was @bickster had. 

Â