VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

There's absolutely a time and place for it, like you say. 3 drinks in and I'll absolutely get up and dance to stuff I wouldn't otherwise give the time of day to and that's a perfectly fine place to be.

• Like 1

Based on my experience of snobs you mean 3 drinks before the chorus of that song starts? 

Those were the days 

Only did cockpit once on a stag do and it was decent, not clued up on the Leeds music scene, did do a kaiser chiefs gig in the city centre many many moons ago with the automatic supporting, that was an eye opener, about half way through when whatever his name is split the crowd down the middle and got the left side to cheer followed by the right... Then during an extended guitar solo he disappeared and then came back out of one of the windows of one of the offices on the square... Proper what the **** is this shit, stumbled in to a westlife gig 

The only good thing about the weekend was I caught forward Russia do a tiny set in a record shop there 

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Art Brut got watered down in my opinion and both lost their charm. 

I'd have sort of agreed with that, then they released this in 2018 and I liked it so much I bought it

R-12845329-1609617417-3308.jpeg.jpg

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd have sort of agreed with that, then they released this in 2018 and I liked it so much I bought it

R-12845329-1609617417-3308.jpeg.jpg

Admittedly I haven’t heard that so will give it a spin. 

Oh hell, there's going to be a Gang of Four double tribute album featuring among others Idles and Gary Numan

How did they find a double album’s worth of tracks worth covering?

4 decent tunes in a whole career and three of those are on the first album

I remember seeing the Cribs once. 

it was Reading Festival 2012 and on 2nd stage they had Mastodon 3rd on the bill and At The Drive In headlining, so was very excited. After Mastodon finished I had ended up on the barrier. I decided to stay on there waiting for ATDI and The Cribs were the band in the middle. They were pretty dull and I just wanted to leave. I also really needed a piss to the extend I was in pain but I was determined to wait it out.

After the Cribs finished I looked back and it was very clear I could have still got to the front for ATDI so I ended up being watching them for no reason whatsoever. 

I therefore have an irrational hatred of the Cribs for this reason. 

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 09:45, mjmooney said:

Similar. Elder one plays the the mandolin, younger one drums. What with the missus and her Irish folk whistle, we're nothing if not eclectic. 

Just make damn sure that the younger on (on drums) counts the numbers in !!

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 19:48, Rugeley Villa said:

This is from 1970. War Pigs by Black Sabbath but with alternative lyrics. The power from this song is immense. Infact the whole concert is brilliant, but this song showcases the power of sabbath when they were on their A game. Ozzy is absolutely killing it and the origins of head banging are for all to see. Iommi is hitting you with sledgehammers. No one was playing like this on the guitar in 1970. Geezer is all over the bass. The standout is Bill Ward on drums. If anyone has time and interest just watch him play for the whole song. Very powerful drumming with great fills and footwork. Young and hungry before the fame and drugs took over .

FB_IMG_1622142324306.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cyrusr said:

After Mastodon finished I had ended up on the barrier. I decided to stay on there waiting for ATDI and The Cribs were the band in the middle.

That's like making a sandwich with the tastiest, most freshly baked, still-warm-from-the-oven ciabatta bread and filling it with cardboard.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

That's like making a sandwich with the tastiest, most freshly baked, still-warm-from-the-oven ciabatta bread and filling it with cardboard.

I know, I don’t get why they did that, my only explanation is that it’s Reading f***ing Festival. Still line up was a lot better than what the last few years have been, they have been basically V Festival.

This week’s episode of Radio 4’s Descendants covered the Heron family, zig zagging their genes around Scotland, Jamaica and the U.S..

Next week’s episode, the great Gil Scot Heron and how a gig in the UK impacted one young man…

@bickster may be able to expand…

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This week’s episode of Radio 4’s Descendants covered the Heron family, zig zagging their genes around Scotland, Jamaica and the U.S..

Next week’s episode, the great Gil Scot Heron and how a gig in the UK impacted one young man…

@bickster may be able to expand…

Ah I know who that will be. Abdul Malik Al Nasir who was known as Mark Watson

The story has been in the press a few times. Here's a link to the Guardian piece on him.

That was when Gil changed my life. He was playing at Liverpool's Royal Court Theatre, and the gig was sold out. It was 1985, Gil had a record in the charts, and was at the peak of his fame. A friend of mine, the late photographer Penny Potter, got me in – she had a backstage pass and told his team that I was her assistant. I watched the show and was mesmerised. It was hard to describe what he did exactly – he rapped, he played jazz, he was a poet, he educated – he was just singing a song, but it was as if he was part of a collective soul that existed in the room.

Some of that isn't true. My recollection is that it was 1986 not 1985. GSH didn't play the Royal Court in 85 (I worked there by then), This was actually at the start of my reign as Ents Sec at the Uni, I was also acting as House Manager at the gig. The gig was originally booked to be in the Mountford Hall at the Uni but The University f***ed up their exam timetable and it meant we had to to move the gig to the Royal Court as the Mountford had become an Exam Hall by the date of the gig (it wasn't when we booked the show). There's absolutely no way on earth that gig was sold out. I'd have the estimate at about 800 (capacity of downstairs was 1500). The collective soul of the room might have had more to do with the huge amount of weed being smoked in the room than anything else

It is great to know though, that a show I had a big hand in actually turned someone's life around.

Gil Scott Heron, hardest man to get on stage ever! And his dressing room was just a cloud of ganja smoke in itself. Lovely man, so laid back he was horizontal

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Let me start by saying I don’t like Coldplay, or anything they’ve done since Parachutes. They’ve long been in my «almost as bad as U2» category of very unlikeable bands. But I don’t actively hate their latest single, which is just a slightly cheesy but catchy enough pop song, and not the hopelessly pretentious drivel they’ve been releasing for about a decade. 

Edited by El Zen

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve just noticed that in the July Record Store Day there is going to be a Bob Dylan reggae remix.

What does that even mean? An actual existing Dylan recording that wasn't reggae somehow made reggae? That's not possible, surely? A Dylan recording that already has a reggae beat (there are a few, unfortunately), remixed? Some reggae artist's Dylan cover remixed? 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What does that even mean? An actual existing Dylan recording that wasn't reggae somehow made reggae? That's not possible, surely? A Dylan recording that already has a reggae beat (there are a few, unfortunately), remixed? Some reggae artist's Dylan cover remixed? 

Bob Dylan - Jokerman / I and I (The Reggae Remix EP)

Release Date: 17 Jul 2021

Format:

12" Vinyl Single

Label:

CMG

More Info:

Double A sided, x4 trk 12" single. This 12” features two reggae remixes each of “Jokerman” and “I And I” by Doctor Dread. The original versions of both tracks appeared on Dylan’s ‘Infidels’ album with Sly & Robbie as the rhythm section. The two “I And I” remixes were previously released on ‘Is It Rolling Bob: A Reggae Tribute To Bob Dylan’ (2003) while the ‘Jokerman’ remixes are newly commissioned and previously unreleased. Doctor Dread has worked with Bob Marley, Black Uhuru, Jimmy Cliff, Inner Circle, Gregory Isaacs, Luciano, Mad Cobra, Freddy Mcgregor, Sly and Robbie, Steel Pulse, The Wailers and many others.

Sounds horrendous

Â