VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's Dylan singing. The music is re-recorded. In the case of I&I it features Mark Knopfler and Mick Taylor

Ah, OK. Knopfler and Taylor are on the original recordings. 

• Like 1

The Greatest 'Lost Tapes' Ever Found?

An independent record label is releasing previously unheard tracks by David Bowie and Marc Bolan – all produced by Joe Meek [...]

Still, few lost tape hauls evince the vastness and intrigue of late English producer Joe Meek's Tea Chest Tapes: 67 crates containing nearly 2000 reels of previously unheard tracks by 1960s acts including David Bowie's first band The Konrads, Tom Jones, Ray Davies, Billy Fury, Gene Vincent, Georgie Fame, youthful singer-songwriter Mark Feld (later to become glam rock idol Marc Bolan), Rod Stewart, Jimmy Page, John Leyton, The Tornados (whose 1962 global smash hit Telstar, written and produced by Meek, summoned the space age), and an early incarnation of British rockers Status Quo, to name a few. Following Meek's 1967 suicide, the Tea Chest Tapes were bought and carefully stored by young musician/businessman Cliff Cooper (whose band The Millionaires had been produced by Meek); a few months ago, the tapes were acquired by much-loved independent label Cherry Red Records. [...}

BBC Culture

Cliff Cooper who had the tapes by the way is also the founder of Orange Amplification

Another nugget in that story is that there are apparently tracks on tapes salvaged from the now defunct Strawberry Studios  in Stockport of Factory bands including Joy Division that have yet to see the light of day

Who did record store day? 

I didn't, due to the rona you needed to email the shop in advance what you wanted then book a time slot to go and collect them

Takes all the buzz out of the day and without that buzz I'm not daft enough to pay the inflated prices 

Was about 5 that I wanted though including the usual Joe Strummer random recording and ocean colour scene album 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Who did record store day? 

I didn't, due to the rona you needed to email the shop in advance what you wanted then book a time slot to go and collect them

Takes all the buzz out of the day and without that buzz I'm not daft enough to pay the inflated prices 

Was about 5 that I wanted though including the usual Joe Strummer random recording and ocean colour scene album 

I kinda did, I couldn’t be doing with the up early and queuing though.

I’d let them have my wish list a while back, went in to town for lunch, had a coffee, watched the world go by. Then popped round after lunch to see the queue was all but gone so went in and luckily they still had the stuff on my wish list.

So it worked out just fine for me. Personal trivia: I was in that shop the last day it was open, March 2020, and the first day it reopened, today June 2021.

Hot tip: the track Screamadelica on the Dixie-Narco EP works equally well on 33 or 45 depending on your level of chill. Played it at 33 and thought it was great, flipped it over and it became apparent I’d been playing it at the wrong speed. Yeah, that’s how I roll.

• Like 1

This will be the first year in about 8 that I didn't do it

I don't mind it bickster, half of it is overpriced guff that theyre using the day as part of a con, some of it is overpriced picture disc nonsense, some of it is overpriced never released before stuff

Its the never released before stuff tgsg usually interests me, last couple of years ocean colour scene and nas have both used it for that reason, the national did the boxer live in Belgium, stuff that doesn't exist with RSD 

It is overpriced though, the last nas album I got gods son was £40, that's RSD tax 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

This will be the first year in about 8 that I didn't do it

I don't mind it bickster, half of it is overpriced guff that theyre using the day as part of a con, some of it is overpriced picture disc nonsense, some of it is overpriced never released before stuff

Its the never released before stuff tgsg usually interests me, last couple of years ocean colour scene and nas have both used it for that reason, the national did the boxer live in Belgium, stuff that doesn't exist with RSD 

It is overpriced though, the last nas album I got gods son was £40, that's RSD tax 

I'm in a rather fortunate position though, if there's anything I want, I generally erm... have it kept behind the counter for me. The last few years though there's been nothing I want that badly tbh My RSD haul was usually an On-U Sound RSD issue and they've stopped doing them. I look through the lists and generally think nah to most of it

It's becoming controlled by the majors and is so far removed from what it was, I'm sort of boycotting it by accident.

It can be over priced, I mean an awful lot of it is, but its just about finding what you really want or really like. Not just getting swept up and buying ‘something’. Saying that, it is quite a few years since I’ve played on RSD, I bought some Mungo’s HiFi back in 2015 and I think, that might be the last RSD stuff I bought. But saying that, this year it was more about supporting a shop that’s had a pretty lean year, at the same time as I came in to a modest little bit of money AND there were a few things on the list that I was interested in. So everything sort of combined.

I don’t see much on the July list, just Ffrancon.

It’s Thursday!

Which means that later this evening I get to see the new stock list for the local record shop.

It’s one of the ways I can keep some sort of tab and what’s hip n happening with the kids. The list gets posted up on the website and I go down it checking if there is anything that automatically goes on my ‘want’ list.

Then the second scan down the list is for any names I don’t recognise, and they get a quick google and every once in a while this leads to a new discovery. By ‘new’ I mean new to me with my newly widened musical horizons. 

It’s part of my weekly routine and I know there are other far more comprehensive ways of finding out about the latest releases and reissues, but that’s not the point.

It’s important not to get stuck in the 5 year window of when you were a record buying yoot. I don’t want to be 76 and the last band I got interested in was Blondie. I want to be like Joan Bakewell, and get in to Stormzy.

My record buying is a nice mix of new releases and 60s to 90s. I foolishly said I wouldn’t buy any more until my backlog if listening is clear. Should be done by the end of the weekend. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My record buying is a nice mix of new releases and 60s to 90s. I foolishly said I wouldn’t buy any more until my backlog if listening is clear. Should be done by the end of the weekend. 

I try not to just make it all retro, but there’s just so much good stuff out there already.

It’s part of why I used the Dinked releases and pretty much anything new that I find on the El Paraiso label to make sure I’ve bought something with this year as the date on the sleeve.

I like when you can just buy something unheard and unknown from a label and know there’s a very good chance it’ll be fine.

El Paraiso, Rocket, Pressure Sounds, Strangetown Records.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

So it was my birthday about a month or so ago and instead of getting presents, wife instead just gets me vouchers so I can but music, which is great as I get to shop around and try and get bargains, randoms, unknowns etc. Whilst sometimes I grab vinyls I tend to find CDs are my go to and I can get the best bargains/volume of music. Anyway this time I managed to get 50 CDs in total from Amazon/Discogs/Music Magpie which has made for an interesting mix: 

1490594687_CDsBirthday2021.thumb.jpg.5ac394693c65994d1f9fce88e2e00812.jpg

Some of that leaves a little bit to be desired (mainly those that were really dirt cheap), but nice to get a few classics in there as well as some new stuff as well. I am sure there was some reasoning behind them all... Anyway, the full list is below:

Hide contents
  1. The Mission - God's Own Medicine
  2. Kill Bill Vol. 1 - OST
  3. Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken Deeds That Go Undone
  4. Sonic Youth - Goo
  5. Serj Tankian - Imperfect Harmonies
  6. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
  7. Omar Rodrigez Lopez - Old Money
  8. Devil Sold His Soul - Blessed & Cursed
  9. Billy F Gibbons - Hardware
  10. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
  11. And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead - Source Tags & Codes
  12. Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
  13. Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected
  14. Five the Hierophant - Through Aureate Void
  15. The Body - I've Seen All I Need To See
  16. 36 Crazyfists - Collisions & Castaway
  17. Mudvanye - L.D. 50
  18. The Bloodhound Gang - Hooray For Boobies
  19. 36 Crazyfists - A Snow Capped Romance
  20. White Zombie - Astro-Creep: 2000
  21. Monster Magnet - Powertrip
  22. October File - The Application Of Loneliness, Ignorance, Misery, Love And Despair: An Introspective Of The Human Condition
  23. Jack off Jill - Clear Hearts Grey Flowers
  24. Sparta - Wiretap Scars
  25. Funeral For A Friend - Seven Ways to Scream Your Name
  26. Asva - Futurists Against The Ocean
  27. Testament - The Formation of Damnation
  28. Conquest of Steel - S/T
  29. Joey Ramone - Christmas Spirit... In My House
  30. SpeedTheory - Hit The Dirt
  31. Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
  32. Glorious Belli - Manifesting The Raging Beast
  33. Five The Hierophant - S/T
  34. Mono - Him To The Immortal Wind
  35. Jesu - Lifeline
  36. Pentemple - O))) Presents...
  37. Harvey Milk - Life... The Best Game In Town
  38. Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back OST
  39. Solstafir - Kold
  40. Volbeat - The Strength/The Sound/Tone Songs
  41. Hevisaurus - Hirmuliskojen Yo
  42. Volbeat - Rock The Rebel/Metal The Devil
  43. Hevisaurus - Rayhallista Joulua
  44. Cruachan - Tuatha Na Gael
  45. Bruce Dickinson - Balls To Picasso
  46. Elvenking - Reader Of The Runes - Divination
  47. At The Drive In - El Gran Orgo
  48. The Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland
  49. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
  50. F**ked Up - Couple of Tracks

Well that little lot will take a while to get through - hope you have a long daily commute! 

Commendably eclectic. 

• Thanks 1

Â