VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

24 years ago today, The Manic Street Preachers issued Everything Must Go.

Yet strangely, it wasn’t the best album released that day. It wasn’t even the best Welsh album released that day.

Super Furry Animals issued their first ‘big label’ release, Fuzzy Logic.

I was never much in to The Manics, they were ok, but I think maybe Everything Must Go is the only thing of theirs that I have, and even that is a token effort CD.

SFA on the other hand, were just instantly one of the biggest things in my little social circle. We can’t remember who discovered them first, but the best version is that a couple of us heard it on the radio and went out the next morning and got a copy.

Off the top of my head, I’ve seen them live 9 times and they’ve always been excellent. One of those bands that still do the £25 venues and would rather perform somewhere interesting rather than somewhere vast and soulless. Hence, I’ve seen them in places like Brecon Farmers’ Market or Cardiff Uni, as well as Brixton Academy or Royal Festival Hall and the likes.  

I think at 9 gigs, they are my second most seen live band. Spin off bands and solo gigs, that would be more like 15 or 16 gigs.

Jostling in the crowd for a good spot, the lights go down, a laser, and the opening bars of Slow Life. Proper affirmation of what life is for.

image.jpeg.e06b743c6b5c07e15167683ef06008fa.jpeg

I am trying to think when and how I first heard them. I know I loved them when I did hear them. I will say Hometown Unicorn, but I also own Triskadekaphelia. Regardless, they were part of a really **** excellent welsh scene, that was releasing completely different music to their contemporaries. 
Sadly I also know the point where I stopped loving them, it was so trivial and now if I went back I would slap me around the head. Thankfully my wife continued to love them. I know that they couldn’t play the man don’t give a **** without tapes. But I went off them because they used tapes. I was that word removed. 
Fuzzy Logic is a phenomenal album. 

• Haha 1

Everything Must Go was a fairly good album in all honesty. Familiarity breeds contempt but at the time I think it was solid. 
When the Manics toured it in 1996 they had Gorkys supporting so it was a given we were going GZM was my wifes favourite band during the 90s and so we saw them a lot. Anyway, we went and watched them followed by the Manics at the Civic in May of 1996 and during the Manic Street Preachers set my wife proposed to me. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

Were they doing a Mark E Smith impersonation?

They couldn’t be further removed from Mark E Smith could they?

Gentle little folk with songs about patios.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

24 years ago today, The Manic Street Preachers issued Everything Must Go.

Good as Manic Street Preacher are, there is only one Everything Must Go"  

Steely Dan - Everything Must Go On - Front.jpg

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

They couldn’t be further removed from Mark E Smith could they?

Gentle little folk with songs about patios.

It was the a after magazine. MES has a habit of pronouncing things with a pronounced Manc Ah at the end of lines of his lyrics (but not as much as the jokes in the music papers used to say he did)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Did you post that for cheap likes from the usual Fall fans. If you did, it worked. 

Its relevant to the discussion, its one opf those Fall songs that MES does the Ah thing an awful lot in

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Did you post that for cheap likes from the usual Fall fans. If you did, it worked. 

No, like Bicks said, it is an example-ah of-ah the-ah way-ah….  Probably the best example?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

No, like Bicks said, it is an example-ah of-ah the-ah way-ah….  Probably the best example?

I know this. I am wasted on this forum. 

Flexi discs.

I now have two, bought about 35 years apart.

Pop Art Poem, by The Jam, and this doozie

spacer.png

I’ve not played the Jam one in quite some time. From memory, it used to need a 2p on top of the cartridge head to stop it skidding all over the place.

Hopefully this one won’t require a return to keeping loose change around the place. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Flexi discs.

I now have two, bought about 35 years apart.

Pop Art Poem, by The Jam, and this doozie

spacer.png

I’ve not played the Jam one in quite some time. From memory, it used to need a 2p on top of the cartridge head to stop it skidding all over the place.

Hopefully this one won’t require a return to keeping loose change around the place. 

I have a few. My favourite of them is this. 

• Like 1

I've got some Beatles Christmas flexidiscs. Just looked at the prices on Ebay. I may sell! 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I've got some Beatles Christmas flexidiscs. 

Would they have much value?

I’d sort of presumed my Jam one would be worth something, looked it up on discogs a couple of years back and it was worth about 75p

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Would they have much value?

I’d sort of presumed my Jam one would be worth something, looked it up on discogs a couple of years back and it was worth about 75p

Several hundred a throw for the Beatles ones. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I have a few flexi discs, I think most of them are unplayable, there's nothing on them that I want that I haven't got. Easily the worst format ever

I’m sure they’ll end up being the one thing that graphine was actually used for and revolutionise the whole industry.

But yeah, I’ll play it later, but I’m not exactly expecting a mind blowing sound experience. 

• Like 1

Â