VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

This thread is absolutely shocking when you think how ubiquitous Voodoo Ray was. 

There is mention of people ripping off artists via Spotify and via a friend I know a fairly big Canadian pink band who haven’t seen a penny from Spotify as their royalties are being funnelled to their former label. That is going to court as we speak. Tl;dr Record labels are dicks.

• Sad 1

Prompted by the discussion on brands of denim jeans, I just discovered this

Spoiler

Its a song called Citizen Kane, wrtten by Noddy Holder and Jimmy Lea, released in 1985 as a solo effort by Lea. It's awful and bears a strong resemblance to the Ghostbusters theme but is about the Orson Welles film

So far thats a little bit of a musical trivia but the real reason for posting this, is to ask you what record label you think this was on? (no cheating!)

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Prompted by the discussion on brands of denim jeans, I just discovered this

Reveal hidden contents

Its a song called Citizen Kane, wrtten by Noddy Holder and Jimmy Lea, released in 1985 as a solo effort by Lea. It's awful and bears a strong resemblance to the Ghostbusters theme but is about the Orson Welles film

So far thats a little bit of a musical trivia but the real reason for posting this, is to ask you what record label you think this was on? (no cheating!)

I know this as Slade are one of the greatest british bands ever obviously and I always thought, what the ****.  I don’t know however how it came to be. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I know this as Slade are one of the greatest british bands ever obviously and I always thought, what the ****.  I don’t know however how it came to be. 

It's just bizarre and wrong. I feel emotionally drained after this discovery

Despite listening to the above song and making me pause...do we think it’s fair to say Slade are not held in quite high enough regard that they should be?

I’m no expert but they’re sort of generally thought of as “Christmas song, Cum on feel the noize, silly hair and silly outfits”. 

And I know enough to know they are substantially more than that. I’ve seen a quote suggesting Kurt Cobain liked them. Noel G obviously is a big fan (his favourite is “How does it feel”). Not seen the film but I’ve even heard positive things about “Slade in flame”

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not seen the film but I’ve even heard positive things about “Slade in flame”

It's good. One of the very few good 'rock band movies'. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Despite listening to the above song and making me pause...do we think it’s fair to say Slade are not held in quite high enough regard that they should be?

I’m no expert but they’re sort of generally thought of as “Christmas song, Cum on feel the noize, silly hair and silly outfits”. 

And I know enough to know they are substantially more than that. I’ve seen a quote suggesting Kurt Cobain liked them. Noel G obviously is a big fan (his favourite is “How does it feel”). Not seen the film but I’ve even heard positive things about “Slade in flame”

I genuinely love Slade. I think they are forgotten when people talk of the great bands, perhaps due to a Christmas hit. They did however make mistakes in their career lost their way. That said for a few albums, they were magnificent. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Anyone who created "Cum on Feel the Noize" and, by extension, enabling the band Quiet Riot to pollute the airwaves in the early '80's should not be held in any regard at all, despite anything else they might have done.   There is simply no offsetting that offense.

6 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Anyone who created "Cum on Feel the Noize" and, by extension, enabling the band Quiet Riot to pollute the airwaves in the early '80's should not be held in any regard at all, despite anything else they might have done.   There is simply no offsetting that offense.

I have a canadian mate who got into Slade via that cover. Its a **** awful cover. The father shouldn’t be hung for the sins of the child. Cum on feel the noize is a great tune, regardless of the vessel. 

7 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Anyone who created "Cum on Feel the Noize" and, by extension, enabling the band Quiet Riot to pollute the airwaves in the early '80's should not be held in any regard at all, despite anything else they might have done.   There is simply no offsetting that offense

How can an original artist be blamed for the existence of an act who covered their songs?

Until the charts went to shit and people started getting number 1s based on selling 3k records didn't slade have some weird stat on number 1s?

Its in wellers book, something like the beatles, slade and the jam had 3 straight in at number 1s or something daft like that 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

How can an original artist be blamed for the existence of an act who covered their songs?

I don't blame them for their existence, only for providing them with the vehicle to enter my consciousness.

• Like 1

I've never heard the Quiet Riot version of COFTN, and have no wish to. 

I've heard the Slade version 8,373,421 times, and I still like it. 

• Like 1

Slade are great.

Apparently my mum managed to get in to their dressing room at a gig.

I’d like to claim to be Noddy’s love child, but I was already about 5 apparently.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Slade are great.

Apparently my mum managed to get in to their dressing room at a gig.

I’d like to claim to be Noddy’s love child, but I was already about 5 apparently.

My wife says that Noddy almost dropped her as a baby. I call busllshit and I bet every early 70s baby from The Beechdale tells the same story. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've never heard the Quiet Riot version of COFTN, and have no wish to. 

I've heard the Slade version 8,373,421 times, and I still like it. 

They also did a cover of “Mama weer all crazee now” which you would be wise to not waste a wish on hearing.

Side note, Slade really didn’t care about people using predictive text when trying write out these song titles. Deary me that song title was a pain to type out.

Remember Slade in the 60's when they were The N'Betweens then Ambrose Slade then just Slade. They were a damn good live band but how they achieved such legendary status is still a bit of a mystery to me. However, as I said , I think they were a good live band who could certainly play a bit. Here is a number which didn't make it but I reckon is pretty good. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, veloman said:

Remember Slade in the 60's when they were The N'Betweens then Ambrose Slade then just Slade. They were a damn good live band but how they achieved such legendary status is still a bit of a mystery to me. However, as I said , I think they were a good live band who could certainly play a bit. Here is a number which didn't make it but I reckon is pretty good. 

Love that tune. Pops up on an early album, Play it Loud. Pouk Hill is a favourite from that album. 

• Like 2

Â