VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The only 'modern' metal band I like is Opeth - and then only when they're doing their 'non-growling' vocals. 

Opeth are good, but they have now definitely changed into a prog band rather than “metal”.

58 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

With the 3 Heavy Metal/Hard Rock trio this is my take:

Led Zeppelin - most technically proficient but the one that the members have stayed away from the "tag/label", which is weird because they were great at it and have written some phenomenal songs.

Black Sabbath - certainly the one with the "sound" and that comes from Iommi/Butler duo. You shouldn't forget that sound really only developed significantly from Masters of Reality. S/T and Paranoid have many other more accomplished, technical songs as well.

Deep Purple - the forgotten child but a crucial element of the picture. Helped develop and still some great songs. Smoke on the Water though has to be the best example of a great intro but the rest of the song massively declines. 

To be honest though all 3 are great and have their place. Agree with @mjmooney, I don't think I have every really "loved" a live album (and that applies to all bands). It never captures the essence of the live show and if I want to listen to a song, I'll always pick the studio version over a a live version. Possibly the only exception is on the Ramones last ever live show they cover R.A.M.O.N.E.S and get Lemmy on stage for it. The sound is fine but more about what actually happened is pretty damn cool. 

And to back up what @Designer1 says, there is a huge scope of music out there, both good and bad. If you look past the Five Finger Death Punch/Avenged Sevenfold/Bring Me The Horizons there are some amazing heavy metal bands. I get the screaming/growling vocals are not for everyone but there are plenty of clean vocalists to listen to as well. Maybe look for something with the tag "traditional doom" - Cathedral, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Ghost (early rather than later - although still love them). That's just off the top of my head, there will be plenty of others.

In terms of musicianship I think Deep Purple were the band. They also seemed to be shackled by the restrictions of a studio and seemed better on stage where they could spread their wings and show off their musicianship. Zeppelin also liked to spread their wings more so than Sabbath, but I find Led Zeppelin were also a brilliant studio band. I’ve heard this said a few times “Deep Purple were a great band that made good albums, Zeppelin were a good band that made great albums” and I can relate to that. The first three Sabbath albums are very iconic and there’s a lot of big heavy well known songs on them. The sound they had on Master Of Reality is still unmatched today regardless of how many doom/stoner bands have tried to capture that sound. Crazy that album came out in 1971. My favourite era of sabbath is from 1972 Vol 4 to 1975 Sabotage where they were more experimental. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The only 'modern' metal band I like is Opeth - and then only when they're doing their 'non-growling' vocals. 

I can’t listen to growling vocals either. It just ruins it for me. 

55 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Opeth are good, but they have now definitely changed into a prog band rather than “metal”.

That's why I like them. The 'Damnation' album is positively pastoral - closer to Barclay James Harvest or The Moody Blues than Black Sabbath. I do like their heavy riffing stuff too, though - provided they stick to clean vocals. Can't be doing with the stupid growling. 

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Jim Morrison 50 years dead yesterday I think it was . They are another band that put out a good succession of material in a very short time. 

Also Brian Jones, same date. 

• Like 2

The Doors seem to divide opinons quite radically. I've met people (music fans of my generation) who think they were utter shit. 

I like them a lot, but I have to be in the right mood. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Doors seem to divide opinons quite radically. I've met people (music fans of my generation) who think they were utter shit. 

Im mainly into instrumental but when it comes to vocal "Riders on the storm" is one of my favourites along with "Black velvet"

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Doors are very much the gateway band for teenagers to access early US Psychedelic Rock. After they've served that purpose they often get dismissed after people reach their mid-twenties

I say this as someone else who likes The Doors but also has to be in the mood to listen to them, which I'd have to say is infrequently these days

• Like 3

On 29/06/2021 at 18:07, Rugeley Villa said:

Does anyone like the song Kashmir? 

Hell yeah. And the Page & Plant version with the Egyptian musicians is fantastic, too

• Like 2

I have a double album ‘Best Of’ style Doors album.

It stays in the house, under the stereo in the precious small space reserved for stuff I’m likely to play. It’s never been relegated to a storage box elsewhere.

Can’t remember the last time I played it.

Our (late 60's/ early 70's) band used to play 'Love me two times' - a great number IMO. It used to go down quite well .... even though we probably didn't play it that well !!

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, veloman said:

Our (late 60's/ early 70's) band used to play 'Love me two times' - a great number IMO. It used to go down quite well .... even though we probably didn't play it that well !!

We did "Love Her Madly". Ditto on both counts. 

• Like 2

Quick one for the vinyl mob . Do you bother with first pressings or will anything kind of do when buying albums.   I know some first presses are too expensive, and some might not sound as good as later presses. You’ll also have instances where for example a bands uk press might not sound as good as the US or German first press. I’ve not got the greatest hearing in the world. Partly deaf in one ear, so sound quality doesn’t apply to me that much as I can never tell much difference.  As a collection first press is the way to go, but I’m not really doing it as a valuable collection, although some bands I’d like the early pressings. Is it worth spending the extra few quid. Any thoughts? 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

43 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Quick one for the vinyl mob . Do you bother with first pressings or will anything kind of do when buying albums.   I know some first presses are too expensive, and some might not sound as good as later presses. You’ll also have instances where for example a bands uk press might not sound as good as the US or German first press. I’ve not got the greatest hearing in the world. Partly deaf in one ear, so sound quality doesn’t apply to me that much as I can never tell much difference.  As a collection first press is the way to go, but I’m not really doing it as a valuable collection, although some bands I’d like the early pressings. Is it worth spending the extra few quid. Any thoughts? 

For me personally, no, I’m no sort of collector or completist or any of that. If they sound pretty much the same to my cloth ears, I’ll go for the seventh reissue and save a few quid and buy more records.

But then, I’m also happy to only buy one or two in a series of albums if there’s nothing much that interests me on the others.

As I’ve got no intention of selling them, their resale value is a bit irrelevant. I just like playing records.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â