VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Stones were always bitchy about Zeppelin as they knocked them off the world biggest band perch by the mid 70s.

Agreed! I’ve always said that myself. When zeppelin arrived they blew the stones out the water with their power 

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Coupled with Mick Taylor bailing out,

He played on some cracking albums they did. I think the Stones were great late 60s early 70s . Even Cream thought Zeppelin were unnecessarily heavy handed . 

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The great thing about all 3 bands is that they are different from each other. They all have their own sound and image as bands. Vocalists were different from one another. Page, Iommi and Blackmore all had their own styles, same with drums and bass. Bill Ward could swing and his style is my favourite of the 3 drummers. There’s a lot of jazz influences playing in black sabbath that people miss. Nowadays heavy rock/metal has lost that diversity that bands back in the 60s 70s had .

As a guitarist, Blackmore is my favourite out of the 3 (the solo to Highway Star is in my top 5 of all time) though he is by all accounts a complete word removed.

In contrast, you see Iommi in interviews etc and he seems the type of person you could see in a pub, go up to, and end up talking for hours about guitars and music in general. 

About 10 years ago i judged a charity battle of the bands with Dave Hill of Slade and he was like that; completely down to earth, spoke to everyone who came up to him (even though they all mentioned that xmas song). We just chatted about classical guitarist composers, he was well into that style. Slade had some great rock riffs and tracks actually.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, andym said:

As a guitarist, Blackmore is my favourite out of the 3 (the solo to Highway Star is in my top 5 of all time) though he is by all accounts a complete word removed.

In contrast, you see Iommi in interviews etc and he seems the type of person you could see in a pub, go up to, and end up talking for hours about guitars and music in general. 

About 10 years ago i judged a charity battle of the bands with Dave Hill of Slade and he was like that; completely down to earth, spoke to everyone who came up to him (even though they all mentioned that xmas song). We just chatted about classical guitarist composers, he was well into that style. Slade had some great rock riffs and tracks actually.

Blackmore live could play rings around Iommi and page when he wanted. He’s an unbelievable guitarist, well he was, but age has caught up with him now like the others from that era . He was the best guitarist in rock IMO. I love all three and all three are rightly up there with the greats. He was an arse and very difficult but that’s part of his image. All the members from Sabbath are like that I think. They were from the streets and were very humble where as some bands believed their own hype and played the rock star. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Amusingly, it's probably the right answer and he was a grade A lunatic

Yes he was haha. Funnily enough Rick Rubin wanted Tony Iommi to get Ginger Baker to play drums on the new sabbath album a few years back. Tony didn’t think it would be a good idea 🙂 

Strangely , for a person (and bit of a musician) I never liked LZ , possibly because of my dislike for the preening Robert Plant but my goodness they could play.  John Bonham  - when you get American session drummers (think it was Bernard Purdie) quoting him then I reckon he must be pretty damn good. The drums do have a rather booming quality; possibly 'cos he used an undampened 26" Ludwig bass drum. Here is a tutorial of Fool In The Rain; given my own very limited ability , I reckon this is hard to play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, veloman said:

Strangely , for a person (and bit of a musician) I never liked LZ , possibly because of my dislike for the preening Robert Plant but my goodness they could play.  John Bonham  - when you get American session drummers (think it was Bernard Purdie) quoting him then I reckon he must be pretty damn good. The drums do have a rather booming quality; possibly 'cos he used an undampened 26" Ludwig bass drum. Here is a tutorial of Fool In The Rain; given my own very limited ability , I reckon this is hard to play.

I mentioned earlier on I listened to this track as an isolated drum track the other week. Really blew me away . As for Robert Plant, I kind of grew away from him as the 70s progressed and he went through his golden god stage. Early Plant  was brilliant though. I did enjoy listening to his interviews though, as I like his humour. 

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

As for Robert Plant, I kind of grew away from him as the 70s progressed and he went through his golden god stage.  

Yep, agreed entirely. He became a victory of style over substance.

7 minutes ago, veloman said:

Yep, agreed entirely. He became a victory of style over substance.

Chest on show, strutting around putting in half arsed shows. He then dropped all that after the death of his son whilst he was touring in the states . I respect him for not feeling the need to reunite zeppelin for a full on reunion. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

On 29/06/2021 at 20:15, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s big, I’ll give you that. Bet it’s great to play. If I remember right he used a different guitar for it. Can’t remember what kind of guitar , but it was a black and white one.

Danelectro. I have the 12 string version of the same guitar. 

ChneH4YWwAE3-CR.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Danelectro. I have the 12 string version of the same guitar. 

ChneH4YWwAE3-CR.jpg

That’s the one. I seem to remember you saying you had one and I recognised it as the guitar Page used. Do you have any idea why he used this for Kashmir? I take it you get a different sound from his usual choice which was the Gibson Les Paul?

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That’s the one. I seem to remember you saying you had one and I recognised it as the guitar Page used. Do you have any idea why he used this for Kashmir? I take it you get a different sound from his usual choice which was the Gibson Les Paul?

Good question. It can't be because of the 'lipstick' pickups, they're certainly no meatier than the humbuckers on his Les Pauls. But he kept the 'Danny' in DADGAD tuning, which he used for stuff like "White Summer/Black Mountain Side"... and "Kashmir". Here's his account in "It Might Get Loud": 

• Thanks 1

With the 3 Heavy Metal/Hard Rock trio this is my take:

Led Zeppelin - most technically proficient but the one that the members have stayed away from the "tag/label", which is weird because they were great at it and have written some phenomenal songs.

Black Sabbath - certainly the one with the "sound" and that comes from Iommi/Butler duo. You shouldn't forget that sound really only developed significantly from Masters of Reality. S/T and Paranoid have many other more accomplished, technical songs as well.

Deep Purple - the forgotten child but a crucial element of the picture. Helped develop and still some great songs. Smoke on the Water though has to be the best example of a great intro but the rest of the song massively declines. 

To be honest though all 3 are great and have their place. Agree with @mjmooney, I don't think I have every really "loved" a live album (and that applies to all bands). It never captures the essence of the live show and if I want to listen to a song, I'll always pick the studio version over a a live version. Possibly the only exception is on the Ramones last ever live show they cover R.A.M.O.N.E.S and get Lemmy on stage for it. The sound is fine but more about what actually happened is pretty damn cool. 

And to back up what @Designer1 says, there is a huge scope of music out there, both good and bad. If you look past the Five Finger Death Punch/Avenged Sevenfold/Bring Me The Horizons there are some amazing heavy metal bands. I get the screaming/growling vocals are not for everyone but there are plenty of clean vocalists to listen to as well. Maybe look for something with the tag "traditional doom" - Cathedral, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Ghost (early rather than later - although still love them). That's just off the top of my head, there will be plenty of others.

• Like 1

Â