VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Its a broad genre and fairly timeless. For me personally I would suggest red headed stranger/shotgun willie/pancho and lefty by Willie Nelson. Dreaming my dreams/ol waylon by Waylon Jennings. Live at Folsom/Sun recordings compilation by Johnny Cash. I’m a people by George Jones. 
Then moving on a little Dwight Yoakams, guitars, cadillacs etc etc. Miranda Lamberts Revolution. Alan Jackson, any album but his major label debut, here in the real world. Brad Paisley’s 5th Gear. Garth Brooks No Fences and finally Kacey Musgraves  same trailer, different park. 
I could go on but you might not like the big hat country of Alan Jackson or the outlaw country. If you listen to any of these and really like it I can base a ton of recommendations off the back of it. 
There is also sub genres of Americana, and of course bluegrass, Americana isnt really my thing but @mjmooney I am sure can assist. 

Yeah, I'm coming from a slightly different place, more country rock and Americana. Some starting points: 

1950s/60s Bakersfield sound: Any decent compilation by Merle Haggard or Buck Owens. 

60s country rock: "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" (The Byrds), "Magnetic South" (Michael Nesmith), "California Bloodlines" (John Stewart). 

Texas (and elsewhere) troubadors: "Old No. 1" (Guy Clark), "Live at the Old Quarter" (Townes Van Zandt), "Lubbock (On Everything)", (Terry Allen), "Own and Own" (Butch Hancock), "Honky Tonk Masquerade" (Joe Ely), "Great Days" (John Prine), "Mesabi" (Tom Russell). 

70s and later country rock: "Pure Prairie League" (Pure Prairie League), "Rose of Cimarron" (Poco), "Hollywood Town Hall" (The Jayhawks). 

I could go on all day, but that'll do for now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

asking for country recommendations must be similar to asking for ‘rock’ recommendations. Someone is going to offer you Argent and Badfinger, someone else is going to offer you Kiss and Aerosmith

Nicely put. 

The correct answer is Argent and Badfinger, btw. 

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Does Taylor count as country?

Thats a whole argument in itself. I think up to reputation she was as country as any of her contemporaries. Reputation onwards for me at least, no. Doesnt mean she hasnt produced great pop records. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Does Taylor count as country?

I am led to believe that her early work is country pop. 

I wouldn't know. 

I have a couple of Bright Eyes albums (for those who haven’t heard of them, no it’s not a Watership Down influenced covers band). 

They’ve been described as alt-country, particularly 2005’s “I’m wide awake, it’s morning”. For those who do know them, as I’m someone with little interest in country, alt or otherwise, is that an accurate description? 

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I have a couple of Bright Eyes albums (for those who haven’t heard of them, no it’s not a Watership Down influenced covers band). 

They’ve been described as alt-country, particularly 2005’s “I’m wide awake, it’s morning”. For those who do know them, as I’m someone with little interest in country, alt or otherwise, is that an accurate description? 

**** my hat thats a great album. There are one or two that at a stretch could be described as alt country, thinking we are nowhere and its now, and the other tracks with Emmy Lou Harris on. For me its just (and just isnt used to disparage) an indie album. Its one of the best albums ever made, in my opinion which considering how disappointing digital ash in a digital urn is, that is something. 

• Like 2

Just now, Seat68 said:

**** my ten-gallon hat thats a great album.

FTFY :mrgreen:

But more seriously I always had Bright Eyes pegged as Alt-folk but its also hardly in my taste sphere either, so I'm not the best to comment

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

**** my hat thats a great album. There are one or two that at a stretch could be described as alt country, thinking we are nowhere and its now, and the other tracks with Emmy Lou Harris on. For me its just (and just isnt used to disparage) an indie album. Its one of the best albums ever made, in my opinion which considering how disappointing digital ash in a digital urn is, that is something. 

Yeah it is a fantastic album, been an age since I listened to it, will probably give it a whirl tonight now the thought is in my head. “Lua” and “Landlocked blues” are two that I remember standing out and they’re not particularly country to my ear. The song you mentioned and “Old soul song” are closer to what I would anticipate alt country to sound like.

• Like 1

There is that whole alt-country/no depression movement that seems to revolve around bands like Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt, etc. I've always found it a bit tepid and underwhelming, personally. 

16 hours ago, bickster said:

This is brilliant! Syd Griffin (Long Ryders / Coal Porters) talks to David Hepworth and Mark Ellen, there's something in here to make @rjw63jealous, plenty in here for @mjmooney and even a snippet for @chrisp65

Can't recommend this series highly enough

I just kept staring at his records stored completely out of colour order and wondering how the hell he ever finds anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, veloman said:

An opinion on "Country Music" by a master.

Buddy Rich is allowed to shout at clouds, and if he wishes he can criticise Chet Atkins. He is wrong, but he is allowed. 

• Like 1

Indeed ^^^^. Mr Rich could be slightly opinionated but when you are that good .......as Seat says. Not a fan of Country FWIW but did rather like Shania Twain - but that might be for reasons unconnected with music :) 

Saw a bloke called Kenney Chesney (who I had never heard of) playing in Central Park. Wouldn't like to pass an opinion on him but his band were ACE !!

7 minutes ago, veloman said:

Indeed ^^^^. Mr Rich could be slightly opinionated but when you are that good .......as Seat says. Not a fan of Country FWIW but did rather like Shania Twain - but that might be for reasons unconnected with music :) 

Saw a bloke called Kenney Chesney (who I had never heard of) playing in Central Park. Wouldn't like to pass an opinion on him but his band were ACE !!

Kenny Chesney is an odd old fella. I like him. I would say I am a fan. He is also responsible for She thinks my tractors sexy, but also for the album Hemmingways Whiskey as well as others, which is phenomenal. 

This morning I've discovered a noel Gallagher acoustic album from 2009 on Spotify, it's under NG rather than NGHFBs

Good day! 

If you know it he's definitely heavily leaning towards Ryan Adams cover when he does wonderwall, I've thought it the couple of times I've seen him do it live but listening to it properly now it's pretty obvious 

24 years ago today, The Manic Street Preachers issued Everything Must Go.

Yet strangely, it wasn’t the best album released that day. It wasn’t even the best Welsh album released that day.

Super Furry Animals issued their first ‘big label’ release, Fuzzy Logic.

I was never much in to The Manics, they were ok, but I think maybe Everything Must Go is the only thing of theirs that I have, and even that is a token effort CD.

SFA on the other hand, were just instantly one of the biggest things in my little social circle. We can’t remember who discovered them first, but the best version is that a couple of us heard it on the radio and went out the next morning and got a copy.

Off the top of my head, I’ve seen them live 9 times and they’ve always been excellent. One of those bands that still do the £25 venues and would rather perform somewhere interesting rather than somewhere vast and soulless. Hence, I’ve seen them in places like Brecon Farmers’ Market or Cardiff Uni, as well as Brixton Academy or Royal Festival Hall and the likes.  

I think at 9 gigs, they are my second most seen live band. Spin off bands and solo gigs, that would be more like 15 or 16 gigs.

Jostling in the crowd for a good spot, the lights go down, a laser, and the opening bars of Slow Life. Proper affirmation of what life is for.

image.jpeg.e06b743c6b5c07e15167683ef06008fa.jpeg

• Like 4

SFA are a band that I keep meaning to give a proper whirl and never get around to it. I always quite like what I hear too.

Right, I'll stick some on tomorrows playlist.

• Like 1

Â