Favourite singers/vocalists

KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Glen Campbell

Sang some great ballads and  ....... was also a knockout guitarist. Part of the legendary Wrecking Crew.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, veloman said:

Sang some great ballads and  ....... was also a knockout guitarist. Part of the legendary Wrecking Crew.

Honorary Beach Boy, as @rjw63 will attest. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bickster said:

From the world of Reggae, Bim Sherman, Horace Andy and Prince Far-I. I'm tempted to add Lee Sctach Perry, he has such a distinctive voice but he isn't really a singer in the true sense of the word

Yep, I’d go along with that, and I’d add Desmond Dekker in the same category as LSP.

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Honorary Beach Boy, as @rjw63 will attest. 

He was in the band for around six months when Brian Wilson quit touring.

They wanted him to stay but he was intent on a solo career.

As a thank you Brian produced the excellent 45 "Guess I'm Dumb" for Campbell.

Bruce Johnston then entered the fold and stayed til 1972, rejoining officially in 1979 and forever being My Glove's yes man :)

• Like 1

On 03/05/2021 at 04:02, mjmooney said:

Roger Chapman is very much a 'Marmite' choice. I like him, too, but I can see why some people wouldn't. 

I absolutely love his singing when he keeps himself in check, but when he goes overboard with his wailing, warbling tremolo he can ruin a good song for me.

• Like 2

Freddy Mercury is probably my all-time favourite singer/front man. He was one of a kind.

Conor Mason from Nothing But Thieves is incredible an incredible singer. Aside from his work with the band, which is always impressive, he did a version of 'somewhere over the rainbow' (Eva Cassidy style) during the first lockdown that was amazing!

Kelly Jones is a favourite of mine too. Seen the stereophonics multiple times and he's always excellent but I went to see him at the symphony hall a couple of years ago on his solo tour and was blown away. The venue was perfect for that gig.

Eva Cassidy's voice was beautiful.

Other favourites include, Bruce Dickinson, Michael Jackson, Simon Fowler, Hayley Williams, early Liam Gallagher (Technically not a great singer I know, but I love his voice on Morning Glory), Kimbra, Samantha Barks, Idena Menzel. The Motown legends of course, Aretha, Otis, Marvin Gaye were all brilliant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billson said:

Other favourites include, Bruce Dickinson, Michael Jackson, Simon Fowler, Hayley Williams, early Liam Gallagher (Technically not a great singer I know, but I love his voice on Morning Glory), Kimbra, Samantha Barks, Idena Menzel. The Motown legends of course, Aretha, Otis, Marvin Gaye were all brilliant.

I'm.not one to.knock other people's tastes but...Bruce Dickinson?

Paedo Jacko?

Monobrow Gallagher?

I think you forgot to.put a troll face guy in this post 😊

• Like 1

I love Sam Cooke's voice, as well as his brother from another mother Steve Perry, although I can take or leave anything by Journey, or Perry solo. I just think he has (had?) an amazing voice that built on Cooke. 

James Brown

Etta James

Marvin Gaye

Aretha Franklin

Johnnie Hartman

Robert Cray even though he's better known for his guitar playing.

Amy Winehouse

Stevie Wonder

Dennis Brown

Brad Delp

• Like 1

A side question for the older guys on here- Who sang the best part on "We are the World"? 

For me, it's Steve Perry and he's standing there with some real heavy hitters in the studio.

On 02/05/2021 at 17:23, chrisp65 said:

Phil Collins.

The voice of a generation.

I like me a bit o Collins in wee doses. I was belting along with In the Air Tonight a few nights ago. It's a really unusual and totally original kind of hit song because it is moody and dark and slow from the start all the way until the drums kick in. DeeJays and stations managers must've been flummoxed.

Einar Solberg (Leprous)
Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas etc...)
Dallas Green (City and Colour)
Billie Eilish
Dennis Lyxzen (Refused)
Maynard James Keenan (TOOL, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer)
Layne Staley (Alice In Chains)
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)
Chester Bennington (Linkin Park)
Ninet Tayeb
Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge)
Brian Aubert (Silversun Pickups)
Conor Mason (Nothing But Thieves)

I am sure there are more, but my mind went blank after a while. I know for a fact I left out some female vocalists that I'll kick myself for forgetting, but that's how it goes I guess.

Don't know if he has been mentioned, but I love Neil Young. All his stuff is great and 'Old Man' is one of my favorite songs of all time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Daweii said:

Einar Solberg (Leprous)
Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas etc...)
Dallas Green (City and Colour)
Billie Eilish
Dennis Lyxzen (Refused)
Maynard James Keenan (TOOL, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer)
Layne Staley (Alice In Chains)
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)
Chester Bennington (Linkin Park)
Ninet Tayeb
Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge)
Brian Aubert (Silversun Pickups)
Conor Mason (Nothing But Thieves)

I've heard of a couple of those, but I've never knowingly heard any of them. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2021 at 06:07, Ingram85 said:

Chris Cornell, Ville Valo, Freddie Mercury, Annie Lennox, Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, Layne Staley, Kate Bush.

I wont put up a list.

You have done mine for me.

On 07/05/2021 at 17:53, rjw63 said:

I'm.not one to.knock other people's tastes but...Bruce Dickinson?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Yes I think Bruce Dickinson was a fantastic singer in his prime. Whether you like the music he makes is up to you but his range and the control he has over his voice is brilliant.

I did say that Liam Gallagher technically isn't a great singer, still loved his voice in the 90s though.

I thought the discussion was about favourite singers/vocalists anyway, I didn't realise that eyebrow size would be a factor in who I'm allowed to enjoy listening to! 🤣 Maybe there's some connection between those of us with monobrows! 🤓

• Haha 1

Â