Favourite singers/vocalists

KenjiOgiwara

So, this is a combination I really like.

I’m quite drawn to being able to hear accents and individuality, over technical ability. Probably just as well if it’s pop that does it for you. Technical proficiency can absolutely kill a song when it appeared to replace authenticity. Think of all those Christmas albums by Russell Watson, Alexander Armstrong, Michael Ball. Excellent in some other field I’m sure, but dead for pop.

Larry often gargles razor blades so the matching up with some honey smooth vocals works really well, for me. A very slight hint of Beautiful South about it.

Some more: 

Emmylou Harris 

Toots Hibbert 

Dusty Springfield 

Don Henley 

Ann Peebles 

Ofra Haza 

Bobby Womack 

Waylon Jennings 

3 hours ago, veloman said:

For what it's worth :- Daryl Hall, Michael McDonald, Teddy Pendegrass, and  ... Donald Fagen !!!

Recently started listening to West Coast Golden Radio, McDonald is on it a lot either solo or with the Doobies. Exceptional voice.

Others I'd have high on my list include

The Beach Boys (obvs) but preferably with any Wilson brother singing lead.

Peter Cetera

Chris Cornell

Paul Rogers

Lindsey Buckingham

CSNY

Allan Clarke of the Hollies

Jon Anderson

Steve Perry

This list could be very long if I don't stop now.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Don Henley 

Damn, forgot about him. I’m adding him to the list. Not even for the eagles, literally just for boys of summer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Damn, forgot about him. I’m adding him to the list. Not even for the eagles, literally just for boys of summer. 

I've got all Henley's solo lps, not a duff one among them.

Timothy Schmit's stuff from the turn of the century onwards is also wonderful.

53 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Recently started listening to West Coast Golden Radio, McDonald is on it a lot either solo or with the Doobies. Exceptional voice.

Others I'd have high on my list include

.Paul Rogers

An excellent choice (IMO). I always thought both he and Roger Chapman of 'Family' (In My Own Time) had far stronger voices than the preening Robert Plant - who I realise is extremely popular and seems to have gained legendary status. For me , Plant was a victory of style over substance and , according to a mate who played with him in the early days, not a very pleasant fellow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Probably not a popular choice here but at some point Paramore have become one of my most listened to bands, Hayley Williams has got a great voice.

You’ve just reminded me of a fantastic Scottish singer with a similar voice to Hayley from a band called CHVRCHES. A brilliant singer.

11 minutes ago, veloman said:

An excellent choice (IMO). I always thought both he and Roger Chapman of 'Family' (In My Own Time) had far stronger voices than the preening Robert Plant - who I realise is extremely popular and seems to have gained legendary status. For me , Plant was a victory of style over substance and , according to a mate who played with him in the early days, not a very pleasant fellow.

Roger Chapman is very much a 'Marmite' choice. I like him, too, but I can see why some people wouldn't. 

• Like 1

From the world of Reggae, Bim Sherman, Horace Andy and Prince Far-I. I'm tempted to add Lee Sctach Perry, he has such a distinctive voice but he isn't really a singer in the true sense of the word

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Forgot Joni Mitchell. 🤦‍♂️

Yeah she's in the same category as Bob Dylan - can't stand to listen

Just now, rjw63 said:

Yeah she's in the same category as Bob Dylan - can't stand to listen

In both cases, I totally understand, although I love them both. Mitchell is a bona fide musical genius, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In both cases, I totally understand, although I love them both. Mitchell is a bona fide musical genius, IMO. 

I get it. I know people that love her (albeit Americans who actually live in the vicinity she and CSNY used to live) but her voice does nothing at all for me. Prefer stuff like the Wilson sisters of Heart , Linda Ronstadt, or Lzzy Hale when going for female vocals.

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I get it. I know people that love her (albeit Americans who actually live in the vicinity she and CSNY used to live) but her voice does nothing at all for me. Prefer stuff like the Wilson sisters of Heart , Linda Ronstadt, or Lzzy Hale when going for female vocals.

Purely as singers, sure (although personally I really like the later Joni doing American songbook standards). But as a composer and musician (particularly guitarist), she's a total original. Wipes the floor with Dylan, if I'm honest. 

• Like 1

Â