Favourite singers/vocalists

KenjiOgiwara

My own personal wonder list as said by me since forever goes Freddie in a category on his own, then the second tier of Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder and Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes or as I call him bendy Chris. This is based on nothing but reverance and wanting to be them or to be able to perform at their level, range, showmanship, gravellyness, emotion. You name it they've got something in my eyes that I'd like to tap into.

That doesn't mean theyre better or worse than the likes of Aretha, Layne Staley, Billie Holiday, The Reverand Al Green, Skin, Zak DeLaRocha, Nina Simone, Serje Tankien, Julie London, Billy Idol, Yebba, Tom Jones, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Sam Moore (Sam&Dave) Axl, Bon Scott, Laura Marling, Eva Cassidy, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, there's probably more I've missed, that I very much respect and love listening to but from afar as an admirer. Not necessarily wanting to BE them at various times in my life. Like the other 4 :)

• Like 1

On 02/05/2021 at 23:11, Designer1 said:

Mike Patton for me.

The guy can do the absolute lot, and do it all incredibly well.

Still no change there then (and it's probably been my answer for 30 years).

Those 6 Octaves can knock any style, language or genre out the park.

He's a phenom.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Still no change there then (and it's probably been my answer for 30 years).

Those 6 Octaves can knock any style, language or genre out the park.

He's a phenom.

Mike Patton. Another one I wouldn't know from a hole in the ground. Just looked at his list of bands, and they're mostly names I recognise, without having the least desire to check them out. 

EDIT: Same goes for the much vaunted Chris Cornell. 

Edited by mjmooney

On 02/05/2021 at 19:55, Seat68 said:

I love Anita Carters voice. She has so much beauty in her tone. Its just a joy to hear anything she puts her voice to. 
Strictly voice, late period Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, they have weather in their vocals. Just so much character. 
Finally Curtis Mayfield. Not a big fan of the man, don’t know much by him other than I love his voice. 

None of this has changed for me, still love all of these voices.

26 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Freddy Mercury

Annie Lennox

Axl Rose

Tom Jones 

Alison Moyet

Billy Joel 

Don McLean

Janis Joplin 

Paul Simon

Pick the bones out of that @rjw63😁

Axl Rose?

spacer.png

On 03/05/2021 at 10:50, rjw63 said:

Recently started listening to West Coast Golden Radio, McDonald is on it a lot either solo or with the Doobies. Exceptional voice.

Others I'd have high on my list include

The Beach Boys (obvs) but preferably with any Wilson brother singing lead.

Peter Cetera

Chris Cornell

Paul Rogers

Lindsey Buckingham

CSNY

Allan Clarke of the Hollies

Jon Anderson

Steve Perry

This list could be very long if I don't stop now.

I'd add Hall & Oates to my previous list.

Also singers I enjoy who aren't the greatest, Neil Young, Josh Todd of Buckcherry and Kurt Cobain spring to mind.

• Like 1

Â