Favourite singers/vocalists

KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Is it Al Green who has a single with mike bloomfield called stop or something? Seem to remember that was a killer tune.

Come to think of it.. the song in my mind is more of a jam. So I guess in this context Al Green was a singer.

That was Al Kooper. This is Al Green: 

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

Two people have mentioned Aretha but not a mention for Nina Simone yet?

Nina over Aretha for me everytime. (I still like Aretha though)

Hmmm, yes. Nina was amazingly talented, but a bit... quirky. She did do the definitive version of this, though:

https://youtu.be/D5Y11hwjMNs

EDIT: No idea why that won't embed properly. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I love Anita Carters voice. She has so much beauty in her tone. Its just a joy to hear anything she puts her voice to. 
Strictly voice, late period Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, they have weather in their vocals. Just so much character. 
Finally Curtis Mayfield. Not a big fan of the man, don’t know much by him other than I love his voice. 

Curtis Mayfield I knew a woman that went out with his son Todd Mayfield. Great vocalists. Harry Nillson had a great voice, Isaac Hayes I loved his voice, Bowie - life on mars not an easy sing. Maybe not everybody's taste but I loved Amy winehouse's singing. 

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hmmm, yes. Nina was amazingly talented, but a bit... quirky. She did do the definitive version of this, though:

This.   Was just listening to it a couple of nights ago.   So soulful.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but David Sylvian.

Stevie Wonder

Gregg Allman

Howlin’ Wolf (kind of like Dylan: not a great pure singing voice, but perfect for the material)

Etta James

Beth Gibbons

Pre-fame, pre-belting out anthems Sia (eg, with Zero 7)

Edited by il_serpente
Adding
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but David Sylvian.

Stevie Wonder

Gregg Allman

Howlin’ Wolf (kind of like Dylan: not a great pure singing voice, but perfect for the material)

Etta James

Good calls, all. Howlin' Wolf was the template for Captain Beefheart and Tom Waits. 

Edited by mjmooney

Yeah probably the big soul voices. Aretha, Otis, Marvin, Curtis, Smokey, Al Green have been mentioned. Also Etta James, Ronnie Spector, Mavis Staples. 

Beach Boys harmonies are obviously great, and would probably single Carl Wilson out. 

Jeff Buckley is amazing.

Junior Murvin and Jimmy Cliff are two voices that stand out. Also a big Phyllis Dillon fan. 

Probably missing some big favourites, and I'll probably come back and wonder how I missed them? 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Good calls, all. Howlin' Wolf was the template for Captain Beefheart and Tom Waits. 

I actually saw Howlin' Wolf (Chester Burnett) at a Folk/Blues Festival in Birmingham Town Hall , about 1963. Also featured Sugar Pie De Santo, Hammie Nixon and Sleepy John Estes, Lighting' Hopkins and others I can't remember. I remember they said at the time that they had never played to an all white audience before.

• Like 2

i'll chuck in caleb followill of kings of leon

again more for the fact that his voice as part of an instrument for that band, its not necessarily unique but it definitely makes them stand apart from a lot of the bands they were fighting for space with at the time, mainly the UK ones in the 00s, if he didnt have that voice i dont think KOL are anywhere near what they are today, it is absolutely key to them

add to that that he can actually sing

Y’all forgot to write down Hope Sandoval…and Grace Slick…and Stevie Nicks…and Liz Frazer

Me, I’ll add Nick Cave, Mimi Parker for now

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Mike Patton for me.

The guy can do the absolute lot, and do it all incredibly well.

Ohh, good one.

Geoff Tate (despite appearing like a bit of a loon)

Edited by Tegis

Â