Favourite singers/vocalists

KenjiOgiwara

Suspect this has been done to death on here over the years, but do you have one? Doesn't have to be technically I guess. I enjoy Van Morrison for some reason, and I'm not sure he's up there with Aretha Franklin and what not 😂

Guess I've always had a slight pull towards Otis Reddit, Sam Cooke and Freddie Mercury when it comes to more awesome voices. 

For voice - Scott Walker, Mark Lanegan, Neil Hannon and of course Elvis 😉

but I love plenty of acts where the singers can’t sing for toffee too😁

(how did I forget to include Mike Patton!) 

Edited by theboyangel

I love Anita Carters voice. She has so much beauty in her tone. Its just a joy to hear anything she puts her voice to. 
Strictly voice, late period Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, they have weather in their vocals. Just so much character. 
Finally Curtis Mayfield. Not a big fan of the man, don’t know much by him other than I love his voice. 

• Like 1

I think I find myself preferring individual vocal performances as opposed to liking a singer’s back catalogue for their voice alone. If that makes sense.

For instance I might think Kate Bush is fantastic singer (and I do think her vocals are great), but I don’t really listen to her music. 

Basically if the song is no good, it doesn’t really matter how good the singer is.

I think because it’s such a well known song the vocals don’t quite receive the praise they should, but Eric Burdon’s performance on “The House of the Rising Sun” is phenomenal.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I love Anita Carters voice. She has so much beauty in her tone. Its just a joy to hear anything she puts her voice to. 
Strictly voice, late period Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, they have weather in their vocals. Just so much character. 
Finally Curtis Mayfield. Not a big fan of the man, don’t know much by him other than I love his voice. 

Cash is great. Reminded me of a performance I saw of Willie Nelson with Ray Charles. Wonder if the song was called song for you. Was pretty teary eyed stuff. Think Ray died a few weeks later.

That's another great shout tbf. Ray Charles had something in his voice which just came through to me.

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

First time I had a gun pulled on me was a Curtis Mayfield gig

Curtis was extremely cool about the whole incident

• Shocked 1

Buckley, pere et fils 

Steve Winwood 

Aretha Franklin 

Al Green 

Annie Lennox 

Early Van Morrison 

David Crosby 

Ella Fitzgerald 

Frank Sinatra 

Jack Bruce 

Bob Dylan (yes, seriously) 

• Like 2

Is it Al Green who has a single with mike bloomfield called stop or something? Seem to remember that was a killer tune.

Come to think of it.. the song in my mind is more of a jam. So I guess in this context Al Green was a singer.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

44 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Suspect this has been done to death on here over the years, but do you have one? Doesn't have to be technically I guess. I enjoy Van Morrison for some reason, and I'm not sure he's up there with Aretha Franklin and what not 😂

Guess I've always had a slight pull towards Otis Reddit, Sam Cooke and Freddie Mercury when it comes to more awesome voices. 

Recently found an otis redding live album on Spotify, live at the whiskey a go go, the editing is shit but his voice is incredible, also love Sam Cooke at the harlem club

If you haven't already give Charles Bradley a listen to, incredible voice 

Growing up I'd say Kelly Jones of the phonics, I'd throw Liam in but more for his style and snarl than his actual talent like it or hate it it's a unique voice, most recently its Tommy odell of the Dmas, their mtv unplugged album is stunning, they're currently slowly releasing a load of Amy Winehouse live at the BBC

Worst I've seen was Ian brown, was all over the shop, forgot lyrics, messed songs up, just terrible 

Edit - Charles Bradley not Barkley!! 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

Chris Cornell, Ville Valo, Freddie Mercury, Annie Lennox, Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, Layne Staley, Kate Bush.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

you just had to post that seconds before I said that no one has mentioned Chris Cornell didn't you

Sorry bud 😋

Â