Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Gianni Infantino confirming they cannot be half in and half out, suggesting remaining in domestic leagues is not an option.  Also referring to it as a war crime 😮

As much as I detest FIFA, this is how it should be. This 'super league' and the PL cannot function with anyone involved in both competitions. 

I think the most likely scenario now is 1 club bailing out and a domino effect will start for the other 11, and all these clubs will have to be punished through their domestic league's and European competitions. They will almost certainly be kicked out of the European tournaments even if they back down today, and you'd like to think they would be banned from those competitions for at least one year. 

I joked about it in another thread, but finishing 10th this season really good transform us 🤪

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I feel weird watching all of this. It's kind of unravelling in front of your eyes. Same feeling you had during the financial crisis.

It doesn’t feel real. Like it’s not actually happening.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think this could very well come down to the players. 

Assuming UEFA and the domestic leagues follow through with their threats of expelling the clubs and not letting player play international football.

I'm guessing if the money is right (which I guess it will be) the ESL could still go ahead and that's the competition those clubs will now play in. However, it'll only be a success if those top players are involved.
Surely, if players will be banned from playing in world cups and for their country at all, enough of them will not want to be in the ESL for it to collapse. Nobody is going to watch Liverpool vs Real Madrid if Salah, Ramos, Mane, Benzema etc have all gone and signed for clubs not in the ESL?

But would the extra money be enough for the players to be happy to give up representing their countries forever?

To me that could very well be what it comes down to.

Yeah it's nice to think that players may choose to compete within International tournaments over the ESL, but I'm just not sure players will put that before the insane amounts of money they'd earn from the ESL. I certainly hope they do. Will be interesting. 

I feel like the most likely scenario now is the clubs will be told they WILL be excluded from all competitions IF they go ahead with it. And it will all slowly go away.

I think leagues like the PL will know they're stronger with those 6 teams and deep down will want to keep them. So will offer them a compromise 

Sure the likes on Neymar, Messi, Pogba and so on will jump at the chance to make even more money. No idea about M'bappé or Haaland thou the latter has Raiola so he likely will.

Neymar is the big ticket as he is THE name the EA Sport FIFA kids idolizes. And of course Ronaldo with his 277 million Instagram following

Edited by sne

How are they going to have an ESL world cup if there are only 20 teams as a player pool for all the countries? There will likely not be enough players of the same nationality for more that 4 or 5 international teams, unless they plan to make it a 5-a-side world cup. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean that happens anyway but at least they compete in the same leagues and play for international teams etc. In this case it would be like they're playing a different sport.

They would literally be playing a different sport if it's not FIFA sanctioned. They'd not be playing Association Football anymore. It's another reason why they could no longer play international football - after a couple of years the laws of the two games would diverge. It'll eventually be like Rugby Union/League.

Manchester United FC in this new league wouldn't have their 20 League Titles, and Liverpool FC wouldn't have their 6 European Cups. They'd be new franchises, taking part in a new sport. They would be established in 2021. The old, historied clubs (plus Spurs) would be gone forever.

Edited by blunther

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I feel like the most likely scenario now is the clubs will be told they WILL be excluded from all competitions IF they go ahead with it. And it will all slowly go away.

I think leagues like the PL will know they're stronger with those 6 teams and deep down will want to keep them. So will offer them a compromise 

Yep. Its probably what they wanted all along apart from Real, Juve, and the 3 american clubs in the Premier League who want a franchise league but are in the minority thank goodness. For now.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That is when Perez's plan of a new world cup and new international competitions might actually work.

How are there possibly going to be enough nations represented from 20 teams of ~25 players to run a new World Cup. You've got a maximum of 20 national teams just from the number of players, but in reality there's going to a huge over representation of English, Spanish, and Italian players with a huge under representation of all other countries.

Could Germany even field a team from those 12 clubs? Egypt would just be Salah on his own.

That struck me as a playground retort: "You can't play in the World Cup." "Oh no? We'll run our own World Cup then". Yeah, didn't think that one through did you pal.

Edited by fightoffyour

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

How are they going to have an ESL world cup if there are only 20 teams as a player pool for all the countries? There will likely not be enough players of the same nationality for more that 4 or 5 international teams, unless they plan to make it a 5-a-side world cup. 

All Star Teams maybe :D 

3 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

According to Sky Sports, some of the clubs involved in the ESL aren't happy with the way things are being handled media wise. Plus Managers unhappy they are in the firing line (which I can't blame them).

Cracks begin to show...

This is what I don't really understand. There's a quote from one of the executives involved to say "this isn't what we signed up for". What on Earth did they think they were signing up for? Did they expect that the media and supporters would be perfectly happy with their plans to ruin football?

Anybody who takes a step back from this now shouldn't be lauded for doing so. They should be punished for attempting this coup in the first place.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure the likes on Neymar, Messi, Pogba and so on will jump at the chance to make even more money. No idea about M'bappé or Haaland thou the latter has Raiola so he likely will.

Neymar is the big ticket as he is THE name the EA Sport FIFA kids idolizes. And of course Ronaldo with his 277 million Instagram following

the thing is both of them really like playing for the country, cant imagine Neymar buddy Bolsanero would be happy if he ran off from the national team

• Like 1

Just now, tom_avfc said:

This is what I don't really understand. There's a quote from one of the executives involved to say "this isn't what we signed up for". What on Earth did they think they were signing up for? Did they expect that the media and supporters would be perfectly happy with their plans to ruin football?

Anybody who takes a step back from this now shouldn't be lauded for doing so. They should be punished for attempting this coup in the first place.

Almost sounds like some of the teams signed up for discussions about a Champions League alternative, not an absolute confirmation they were participating. Who knows! 

Â