Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/04/21 at 22:59

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

So your definition of `supporting' Aston Villa is not to be critical of the team or performances?

Critical, yes absolutely, when it is warranted. It's the constant moaning and ranting that gets to me. 

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oh Thats sad.

I think everyone makes a valid contribution, opinions vary, but we learn from each other.

by all means, be happy, for our season, but we are discussing todays game.....Yeah, I am miffed too, but having watched the game, the result did not surprise me.

I predicted we would finish 12th so I too am on target, but earlier in the season, I think we could have been in a slightly better placing had we of maintained our form....Jack has been a huge miss, but if we keep raising that, questions will be asked of what are we doing with the rest of the squad....I would suspect Dean is fed up of that line too.

We had an international Defender making another ricket today, I think these things are worthy of discussion....and such basic errors are naturally being questioned.

but UTV

Yep he pretty much makes one mistake every game. Sometimes it costs us, sometimes it doesn't. He is usually pretty dominant otherwise. For me the problem is the majority of those mistakes happen when the ball is passed back to him. It's definitely something he can address if he is made aware of the correlation

Sheesh if you can't have a little rant in the post match thread without being jumped on I give up. The referee was a joke today. They should have had a few more booked. 

There rant over.

However in all seriousness they kept getting to the edge of our box and in shooting positions too easily. We've become too kick and rush I really don't like the long ball football we've been playing for the last few months.

20 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Critical, yes absolutely, when it is warranted. It's the constant moaning and ranting that gets to me. 

I think that is testimony to how popular the site is....

its just when we lose, its a bit inevitable really.....just take to heart, we all love the team/club, else we wouldn't be on here....we just want them to win every game we play, now thats not unreasonable surely.😀

• Like 3

It's funny when you read some of the immediate post-match reactions, you can feel the emotion. And wow, how emotional so are! Definitely a case of engage brain before keyboard!

A frustrating afternoon. Liverpool were not at their best and it was definitely points available for the taking. Some of the substitutions were surprising/bewildering.

Not sure how Barkley gets on first but maybe its a case of Dean hoping lightening will strike twice with a repeat of his 7-2 performance.

Makamba off was a surprise, he was our most effective defensive midfielder. Break it up and pass. Simple.

We ended up with lots of attacking players but no shape. It shows our lack of real midfield options. A point lost i fear, not something one says at Anfield too often

MoM - difficult. For me Martinez or Target. Gave it to Emi.

Ref - poor. Too quick to book Villa players and tardy for the other team.

Manager. Sadly poor but this was solely down the strange substitutions. I know we do not have limitless choices but no logic to what he was trying to achieve.

I keep hoping this shows us what next season looks like.

• Retain Jack.
  • Add quality in midfield
  • and out wide.
  • An alternative or supplement to Ollie.

The future is bright when you have had a few Saturday night drinks. Onwards.😃

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Why do so many people wanna be critical of Smith, to the point of making out he is shit and out of his depth.

Totally understand criticism of him, no-one is above criticism. But for God sake think before saying stuff like out of his depth etc etc 

HE'S THE BLOODY REASON WE ARE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE AND THE REASON I LOOK FORWARD TO WATCHING VILLA AGAIN

Well that, and competent owners who don't mind spending a few quid

Think Jack Grealish probably has something to do with it as well. Without him in the side Smith doesn’t look such a great manager.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes. Do you think we need to get a good DM next season? For all of his work rate I don't think Nakamba is good enough and personally I don't really think Luiz or McCann are natural defensive midfielders. 

Reminds me of Nigel Reo-Coker.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Must say I am uneasy with the way the site seems to be peppered these days with posts seeking to close down discussion by characterising any criticism as moaning/ranting/negativity.

People have differing views and different ways of expressing them. 

Live with it.

It's hardly a case of trying suppress "any criticism" or not tolerating differing views, and you know it. 

I just find it incredibly sad, that so few seem to be enjoying, what's in my opinion been a great season (of progress). Each to his own, I suppose. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's hardly a case of trying suppress "any criticism" or not tolerating differing views, and you know it. 

I just find it incredibly sad, that so few seem to be enjoying, what's in my opinion been a great season (of progress). Each to his own, I suppose. 

I think it is possible to acknowledge and enjoy the progress but also be aware of the need to improve, and the flaws in how we play. The two are not mutually exclusive. I recall being scolded recently (not by you) for expressing concern about some aspects of our performance - on the grounds that we were eighth in the league, so what more could I possibly want?

Well, I want his to be able to sustain our progress. And thinking about how we might do that requires more than just uncritical praise.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes. Do you think we need to get a good DM next season? For all of his work rate I don't think Nakamba is good enough and personally I don't really think Luiz or McCann are natural defensive midfielders. 

Got to agree, think Luiz is a more expansive midfield player and at 43 McCann probably no longer has the engine required 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Much of these are fairly recent signings, so what are we looking at?, when we scout them....or is it a case of just incremental improvement, until we can get better.....hope we can sell them on for what we bought them for?

Incremental improvement I think. It's the best way to build a squad. We don't have the luxury of being able to go and buy 11 players at £50m each, so incremental is the only way for us to improve. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Barkley is the biggest waste of space to pull on a Villa shirt in many years but Smith can't see it!

Drinkwater probably worse.

Just.

Smith got caught out by his own gung ho spirit yesterday,the subs turned the game into plops favour and it was only a matter of time before they took the lead. The mix of players is not right and we depend on Deano to get that right for each individual game and change the balance within the game as it proceeds. It's a tough call but that is what being the manager is all about, getting the coaching right, getting the mentality right and getting the leave it all on the pitch attitude. Bad day at the office but fans just need to see we have that progress and passion to succeed in a game, we all love a win but we can except a loss by a better team.

12 hours ago, vreitti said:

Personally Vreitti i have enjoyed the season immensley. Now it has progressed however we clearly have lost form recently and this has raised concern / discussion on here understandably so. It is only really everyone wanting the best for AVFC though from what I read. A kind of bursting ambition in the fan base to start competing for trophies again which manifests in frustration when it appears we are and have been going backwards form wise since that covid break. Up until that time we were a delight to watch but recently some glaring issues have emerged and keep re-emerging in virtually every game now and it's basic sloppyness and sub par ball retention which is costing us points. Of course Grealish missing is compounding the issues and exposing them much more as lets face it he had so much possession and often did so much with that possession that it diluted/hid these issues somewhat. 

So i don't personally see this as a negative thing it's just a burning ambition to see the club succeed which comes out in different ways. We are however all strongly behind the cause and love this club for sure although as i've said before different personality types deal with defeats / poor form differently and the opposing personality type often gets annoyed by the opposing manner in which the other expresses themselves. 

It's all aimed at the betterment of the club overally though of that i am certain. We have been quite a tough watch recently in my view when compared to the sheer delight at watching us pre covid break. So this will naturally spring a bit of frustration on message boards.

Overall though a fantastic progression this season and i am so excited future of the club.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, a glance at the table suggests I'd rather be a fan of Villa than of Fulham, Brighton or Burnley this season, whatever their results at Anfield.

Sarcasm - how dare you, only yesterday counts, or else you are bafflingly accepting mediocrity. 

Truth - Good point.  We were in the championship season before last.  scraped to survival last year.  we are a midtable club this year.  But constant, steady progress over the long term, under the same manager - to some that means the sky is falling and the manager should be despised.  Anyone expecting us to be higher than midtable is simply unrealistic and loves a moan.   And before you talk about money spent the last two years, let's discuss money spent and how it was spent the 10 years before that.

Oh and to be fair to those lowing it. I think anyone would agree that, in this match, we did not play as well as we could and have in recent times.  Bad day, not the end of Villa.

19 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Yep he pretty much makes one mistake every game. Sometimes it costs us, sometimes it doesn't. He is usually pretty dominant otherwise. For me the problem is the majority of those mistakes happen when the ball is passed back to him. It's definitely something he can address if he is made aware of the correlation

Its ball control.....I don't think our team is overly blessed with it.....Jack is an exception, to this.

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Sarcasm - how dare you, only yesterday counts, or else you are bafflingly accepting mediocrity. 

Truth - Good point.  We were in the championship season before last.  scraped to survival last year.  we are a midtable club this year.  But constant, steady progress over the long term, under the same manager - to some that means the sky is falling and the manager should be despised.  Anyone expecting us to be higher than midtable is simply unrealistic and loves a moan.   And before you talk about money spent the last two years, let's discuss money spent and how it was spent the 10 years before that.

Oh and to be fair to those lowing it. I think anyone would agree that, in this match, we did not play as well as we could and have in recent times.  Bad day, not the end of Villa.

It wasn't just a bad day at all, that's a misrepresentation of the debate.

We have been playing below par for some time, now...even when Jack was in.

setting the bar low, breeds complacency, and plays in to the hands of self gratification.....there were elements in that game of such poor quality play.

we know we are in a good position of 44 points, but lets not dine out on that, for the rest of the season, we are a progressive club, lets show it.

if they are on the beach, i suggest the owners put their wages on the beach and let them go and fetch them.....BONDI.

Edited by TRO

Â