Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/04/21 at 22:59

17 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

It's funny when you read some of the immediate post-match reactions, you can feel the emotion. And wow, how emotional so are! Definitely a case of engage brain before keyboard!

A frustrating afternoon. Liverpool were not at their best and it was definitely points available for the taking. Some of the substitutions were surprising/bewildering.

Not sure how Barkley gets on first but maybe its a case of Dean hoping lightening will strike twice with a repeat of his 7-2 performance.

Makamba off was a surprise, he was our most effective defensive midfielder. Break it up and pass. Simple.

We ended up with lots of attacking players but no shape. It shows our lack of real midfield options. A point lost i fear, not something one says at Anfield too often

MoM - difficult. For me Martinez or Target. Gave it to Emi.

Ref - poor. Too quick to book Villa players and tardy for the other team.

Manager. Sadly poor but this was solely down the strange substitutions. I know we do not have limitless choices but no logic to what he was trying to achieve.

I keep hoping this shows us what next season looks like.

• Retain Jack.
  • Add quality in midfield
  • and out wide.
  • An alternative or supplement to Ollie.

The future is bright when you have had a few Saturday night drinks. Onwards.😃

Midfield....The right quality and the right type.

We need to look at the positions, not the faces and say honestly, what jobs are not being done to standard......we might sign the right players if we do that.

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Sarcasm - how dare you, only yesterday counts, or else you are bafflingly accepting mediocrity. 

Truth - Good point.  We were in the championship season before last.  scraped to survival last year.  we are a midtable club this year.  But constant, steady progress over the long term, under the same manager - to some that means the sky is falling and the manager should be despised.  Anyone expecting us to be higher than midtable is simply unrealistic and loves a moan.   And before you talk about money spent the last two years, let's discuss money spent and how it was spent the 10 years before that.

Oh and to be fair to those lowing it. I think anyone would agree that, in this match, we did not play as well as we could and have in recent times.  Bad day, not the end of Villa.

Stop it, you're making too much sense. 

5 hours ago, TRO said:

It wasn't just a bad day at all, that's a misrepresentation of the debate.

We have been playing below par for some time, now...even when Jack was in.

setting the bar low, breeds complacency, and plays in to the hands of self gratification.....there were elements in that game of such poor quality play.

we know we are in a good position of 44 points, but lets not dine out on that, for the rest of the season, we are a progressive club, lets show it.

if they are on the beach, i suggest the owners put their wages on the beach and let them go and fetch them.....BONDI.

it's not misrepresentation, forward progress is 3 steps forward one step back in the real world... we are clearly on a one or two step back right now, but that does not erase the longer term trajectory which is still definitely upward.  It was liverpool under Klopp we lost to..  we are mid-table.  right where we belong.  that is tremendous progress under the new owners and under Smith.  Do I want us to be better overall and on the day?  Of course, don 't be silly.  But it was a bad day in an otherwise impressive trajectory over 3 years.

(it feels like old times where you and I are arguing over a manager, I wanted Bruce out and you were saying it wasn't his fault.  This is fondly reminiscent.  I was right then, too.    ;)    )

Almost forgot the mini-rant I wanted to have about the ref (apologies if this point has been made)... Fourth official holds up an additional 5 mins... Liverpool score... Over a minute before play resumes... Ref plays 5 minutes and 10 seconds.

10 seconds for a goal and wild celebrations???

Yes, unlikely that we would have scored with an extra minute, but it would have been nice to have the chance since we were entitled to it.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

it's not misrepresentation, forward progress is 3 steps forward one step back in the real world... we are clearly on a one or two step back right now, but that does not erase the longer term trajectory which is still definitely upward.  It was liverpool under Klopp we lost to..  we are mid-table.  right where we belong.  that is tremendous progress under the new owners and under Smith.  Do I want us to be better overall and on the day?  Of course, don 't be silly.  But it was a bad day in an otherwise impressive trajectory over 3 years.

(it feels like old times where you and I are arguing over a manager, I wanted Bruce out and you were saying it wasn't his fault.  This is fondly reminiscent.  I was right then, too.    ;)    )

I never mentioned the manager, thats your strawman response.

Liverpool have not won at home this year, its April now......So by the powers of deduction, their opponents have taken points off them....Brighton,Burnley,Everton,Chelsea & Fulham.

So this formidable force is not quite the formidable force it was, judging by that, so that excuse is pretty lame to me.....I guess its all about competing and not being benevolent with the ball, that might have given those teams a chance.....In contrast, we played them in to the game at every opportunity, in fact some of their best moves was from our mistakes.

self praise is no recommendation......every poster on here thinks they're right, else they wouldn't post.

Ps I'd be happy with midtable having predicted 12th at the start.....The season isn't over yet, we could drop as easy as we could rise....playing like we are, I'd snap your hand off for mid table.

Edited by TRO

On 10/04/2021 at 17:49, VillaFaninLondon said:

Barkley is being used as the scapegoat as per usual (as all our other midfielders are offering nowt either) but the chance at the end he should have shot or passed. Dithered then lost it and the chance was gone. Just playing like a player with no confidence whatsoever. 

We will finish below Arse, Leeds and even Wolves at this rate if we’re not careful. Tough run in and we always bottle it against the top teams regardless of what form they’re in. Leeds have also got a tough run in but they’ve proven they’re not bottlers by beating city with 10 men today.

I wouldn't say we are bottlers....but as a squad, we have too few players with natural belligerence.....we are passive as a group and midfield lacks physicality and presence.

If we don't address this, I fear for us next season....Albeit, Norwich are coming up, who are much the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I wouldn't say we are bottlers....but as a squad, we have too few players with natural belligerence.....we are passive as a group and midfield lacks physicality and presence.

If we don't address this, I fear for us next season....Albeit, Norwich are coming up, who are much the same.

This. We are crying out for the need to sign a physical presence for the midfield and some pace for up top too imho.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2021 at 18:51, TRO said:

I never mentioned the manager, thats your strawman response.

Liverpool have not won at home this year, its April now......So by the powers of deduction, their opponents have taken points off them....Brighton,Burnley,Everton,Chelsea & Fulham.

So this formidable force is not quite the formidable force it was, judging by that, so that excuse is pretty lame to me.....I guess its all about competing and not being benevolent with the ball, that might have given those teams a chance.....In contrast, we played them in to the game at every opportunity, in fact some of their best moves was from our mistakes.

self praise is no recommendation......every poster on here thinks they're right, else they wouldn't post.

Ps I'd be happy with midtable having predicted 12th at the start.....The season isn't over yet, we could drop as easy as we could rise....playing like we are, I'd snap your hand off for mid table.

So right now we’re 11th.  One point behind 10.   6 points ahead of 12th.  Sounds to me like you should be a happy man.  Very nearly spot on for your prediction.   Btw.  I would be happy to see the progress if we were anywhere 8-14. IF the 14 was comfortable.  

i truly don’t understand why steady and consistent progress is being painted as failure and crisis.  

(and I didn’t just think I was right about bruce.  I was right.  Whether I’m right now?   Time will tell. )

FWIW- I think DS will have us finish mid table this season. Then we should target top 8 next season.  Of course it all depends on Jack.  I kinda think some of the doomsayers here (not necessarily you TRO) have forgotten that we are missing one of the most influential players in the league.  That tends to crimp a team’s patterns a bit.  

We are not a top quality side.   We are midtable and that’s good progress   

9 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

So right now we’re 11th.  One point behind 10.   6 points ahead of 12th.  Sounds to me like you should be a happy man.  Very nearly spot on for your prediction.   Btw.  I would be happy to see the progress if we were anywhere 8-14. IF the 14 was comfortable.  

i truly don’t understand why steady and consistent progress is being painted as failure and crisis.  

(and I didn’t just think I was right about bruce.  I was right.  Whether I’m right now?   Time will tell. )

FWIW- I think DS will have us finish mid table this season. Then we should target top 8 next season.  Of course it all depends on Jack.  I kinda think some of the doomsayers here (not necessarily you TRO) have forgotten that we are missing one of the most influential players in the league.  That tends to crimp a team’s patterns a bit.  

We are not a top quality side.   We are midtable and that’s good progress   

If we finish 12th or above, I will be happy, but we are not there yet, and I haven't got a crystal Ball.

I am concerned with our current form, not the season as a whole, don't confuse the 2

When I watch our recent games, I am not a happy man, sure I was happy with the Fulham result and the Leeds result......I was happy with our form Early season.....lets get the argument straight.

It matters not, who is right or wrong......I have only ever been wrong once in my life , and then found out I was right anyway......( just kidding)

Steve Bruce, doesn't matter either, he has is own issues.

I will be happy with 12th.....but we still have to get there, by securing points.

20 hours ago, villakram said:

This. We are crying out for the need to sign a physical presence for the midfield and some pace for up top too imho.

A Top class Whelan or Jedinak would be my priority and then fix the flanks and a back up striker, with pace and awareness/vision.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2021 at 10:30, Raver50032 said:

Well, I made it to page 5... couldn't read any more. Honestly, a lot of you are far too toxic and antsy. It wouldn't surprise me if some of you were responsible for the online abuse that players get on social media. 

basketball wives GIF by VH1

Now we know what you think about Villatalk posters, please can you let us know how you rated Villa’s performance (i.e. the subject of the thread)?

Â