Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

McGinn in the double pivot and Bailey wide right with Tielemans back in the 10 hole makes the most sense. JJ on the left can provide a dynamic outlet that McGinn couldn't in the same position when we started against Newcastle.

Unai went with McGinn in the double pivot and Buendia in the 10 role with Bailey wide right after Kamara was injured away at Chelsea last year. No reason to think he wouldn't go for it again.

It's against the better pressing sides that will have me worried.

Yep, no issues with that 👍.  Just trying to think what Emery will do but I certainly think he’ll want to continue with 422 / 4222.  I would prefer McGinn in the double pivot, as it’s a big ask for Tim to start games continuously. 

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

-------------------------------Martinez--------------------------------

----------Carlos------------Torres----------Lenglet-------------

Cash---------------Luiz-----------McGinn--------------Digne

-------------Bailey-------------------------------Ramsey----------

-------------------------------Watkins--------------------------------

Would seem to me the most sensible solution for Fulham - that and ninety minutes of prayer that no one else gets injured or sent off.

I just posted almost exactly that team in the Kamara thread.

Moreno instead of Digne though, and we always look dangerous when Diaby, Bailey & Watkins are on the pitch together.

Cash---------------Luiz-----------McGinn--------------Moreno

-------------Bailey-------------------------------Diaby---------

Some interesting ideas in here with the 343s and I do like the look of them. However I can't see us moving away from Emery's tried and tested 4222.

Edited by villan95

I don’t think we will be re-inventing the wheel. Until Konsa returns, Cash will be RB, Digne/Moreno at LB, and Carlos with Torres/Lenglet in the middle.

In midfield, McGinn will play in the pivot with Luiz, and we will just rely on him being responsible in the role.

Ramsey is returning to fitness at the perfect time to keep playing left side, with Bailey right side, and Teilemans will most likely start as the “second striker” with Watkins.

That gives us Diaby as an option off the bench to go more attacking, along with Rogers and Zaniolo.

I don’t think Emery will want to have too many players in unfamiliar positions, and in this scenario I think everyone is fine, and only McGinn is being compromised by having to play from deeper.

Any more injuries and we are in the scenario of starting to have more people out of position or having an imbalance of attacking players over defensive players. I don’t think we are the stage where that is an issue yet.

UTV

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 2

Personally I feel, maybe we need to shift formation to more of a 4-3-3/4-5-1?

‐--------‐-------Martinez------------

Cash-----Carlos-----Pau-------Moreno

-----McGinn----Luiz--‐--Youri-----

Bailey-----‐--------------------------Ramsey

‐---------------Watkins‐---------------

Edited by Captain_Townsend

If we improve on what we do in both boxes, we won't be far away....easy said than done though eh!

Tactics is overstated imo....2 headers done us....The rest is just fluff.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Yep, no issues with that 👍.  Just trying to think what Emery will do but I certainly think he’ll want to continue with 422 / 4222.  I would prefer McGinn in the double pivot, as it’s a big ask for Tim to start games continuously. 

We have tried it extensively in the past, and its hit and miss.

Tim Has to start at Sometime........Examples Lewis Miley/Conor Bradley/ Evan Ferguson......all younger than Tim....these boys have to be given a chance, to know.

We are Safe, our season has been decimated by injury....go for it, try the kids.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If we improve on what we do in both boxes, we won't be far away....easy said than done though eh!

Tactics is overstated imo....2 headers done us....The rest is just fluff.

There is truth in this!

It’s why I wouldn’t expect much change. Play the system that has got us here and roll the dice on the players to get us over the line. 

• Thanks 1

With Kamara now out, I think we should possibly use Pau further forward in the more defensive midfield role. This would still allow us to convert to a back 3 on the ball & would give us less disruption rather than dropping mcginn back and sacrificing his strengths

• Like 1

I think Tim could be our answer.

A good young player that understands what is expected from him and is surrounded by confident experienced professionals that can help and guide him.

Its already happening at Liverpool who play Bradley and Quansah.

I hope he will thrive and take his opportunity 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

There is truth in this!

It’s why I wouldn’t expect much change. Play the system that has got us here and roll the dice on the players to get us over the line. 

That last line of mine about fluff, was a bit rib tickling....look, I love the way we play, at times.....but I am serious, when I say, much thought has to be reserved too, for the business ends of the pitch.

We have to respect, those boxes, and what happens in them.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

That last line of mine about fluff, was a bit rib tickling....look, I love the way we play, at times.....but I am serious, when I say, much thought has to be reserved too, for the business ends of the pitch.

We have to respect, those boxes, and what happens in them.

But it is true. Unai can only create a system to keep them out of our box and get us into their box - the rest is up to the players.

Consider the the common pitch split into 18 zones - only 2 of them are dedicated to either box. Unai can tell you what to do for the other 16 but the 2 boxes (aside from some overlap) - that's up to the players.

image.png.70a28e99787385cf74d5ad5dc6e645b7.png

20 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

But it is true. Unai can only create a system to keep them out of our box and get us into their box - the rest is up to the players.

Consider the the common pitch split into 18 zones - only 2 of them are dedicated to either box. Unai can tell you what to do for the other 16 but the 2 boxes (aside from some overlap) - that's up to the players.

image.png.70a28e99787385cf74d5ad5dc6e645b7.png

That is my very point...it is the players....I am not blaming UE

However that can be eased, by having personnel, in the box, ( under normal injury free circumstances)who won't be subjected to a mis match in the air, which many observers witness. I would like to see the Harry's and Scotts challenged for those headers, see how good they are then.

It is not lost on me that Unai has just signed 3 young players, that have a bit of stature......some of the issues, come from times under, previous managers.

• Like 1

Ironically, the new injuries might actually make us less predictable.

One thing we DO have is " firepower ".

How about a reverse Christmas tree formation? " Play all the forwards! "

On a serious note though I mentioned this before, but sometimes you stumble on to winning combinations and unlock qualities in players, unearth gems through circumstance.

On 12/02/2024 at 22:30, TheAuthority said:

I just posted almost exactly that team in the Kamara thread.

Moreno instead of Digne though, and we always look dangerous when Diaby, Bailey & Watkins are on the pitch together.

Cash---------------Luiz-----------McGinn--------------Moreno

-------------Bailey-------------------------------Diaby---------

I hope not we'd be very light in midfield to start with. I don't think much of Lenglet either and Ramsey has to play after the way he played against man u 

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I hope not we'd be very light in midfield to start with. I don't think much of Lenglet either and Ramsey has to play after the way he played against man u 

Wasting every good attacking situation should not guarantee you a start.

We used McGinn and Luiz against Sheffield United in the first game after Kamara's suspension.  It didn't work.

We then used Donk against United. Which kind of worked, before it all fell apart.

We went back to McGinn and Luiz against Burnley, and it didn't work. A lucky last minute penalty was needed to get us over the line against 10 men.

Tim is the answer. Leave McGinn further forward to do his thing there.  Rely on Tim to be better than Donk.

It's the best solution for me, and really the only solution I can see that doesn't cripple us going forward. 

On 13/02/2024 at 13:02, JW7494 said:

With Kamara now out, I think we should possibly use Pau further forward in the more defensive midfield role. This would still allow us to convert to a back 3 on the ball & would give us less disruption rather than dropping mcginn back and sacrificing his strengths

Pau doesn't have the mobility for defensive midfield 

• Thanks 1

Â