Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

41 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Beginning to question our game preparation now after the last 2 months of play. We look crap and teams know exactly what to do to reduce us to what we have managed to dish up these last few weeks. Complete shadow of what we were just 3 months ago I’d say. I don’t buy the injury excuse either. These players should know how to play a game of football. 

Yeah Emery should be prepping the team and going through videos but I've heard he's been WFH for the last 2 months wanking himself off.

• Confused 2

59 minutes ago, will87 said:

What is the plan at home in these sort of games? There seems to be a lack of ideas on how to get the ball into dangerous areas.

You simply aren't winning many of these games if your midfield is as bad as ours were tonight. Throw in Carlos-Lenglet which is an average CB combination and 4th is going to be a struggle I'm afraid.

What also infuriates me is we take far too many touches once around the box, get some shots away and see what happens as you can at least create pressure that way if it takes a deflection and goes out for a corner.

We have plenty of work to do.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Yeah Emery should be prepping the team and going through videos but I've heard he's been WFH for the last 2 months wanking himself off.

Seems like it! 

Stick a couple of players on Luiz and Kamara when Martinez has the ball and we don't have a clue what to do with it. Been like this for weeks and any decent team knows to do it now.

Ramsey and Diaby need to come in, we've got nothing down the left with McGinn or Tielemans out there, Moreno is getting no help at all

Hopefully Pau comes back in Sunday and Carlos pulls his finger out

• Like 1

No one carries/drives the ball. Bailey to deep when cash is there, tielemens is either half decent or 9 times out of 10 poor - so have zero attacking threat other than Ollie, and if he has no space or is pot muscled we have nothing.  Need Pau back as that takes dougie another 10 yards up the pitch.   It’s like walking football half the time - which is not what we were pre Christmas.

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think it’s deeper than that we’ve been watching teams do the same thing to us for too many games now. Personally I’d love to see us go 433 

By deeper, it’s just kinda shit we have our backup CB pairing. 

But I truly believe that a lot of our build up problems are waiting for this Cash and Kamara rotation. 

The simplest of football axioms is to have a system where everyone knows where the other players are at. 

When we do this Kamara dropping to CB, Cash as RW, it often ends up with Cash in the same spot as Bailey, nullifying any of Baileys threat. 

It also tends to make us very right side heavy with Moreno super isolated on the left. This in turn makes us very susceptible to the counter on the left hand side. Lenglet too slow to make challenges up the pitch. Luiz covering acres of ground by himself. McGinn and Moreno stuck tracking back from a high position. 

This rotation cascades problems all around the pitch. 

• Like 3

Just now, Osirus said:

Ramsey and Diaby need to come in, we've got nothing down the left with McGinn or Tielemans out there, Moreno is getting no help at all

Hopefully Pau comes back in Sunday and Carlos pulls his finger out

What's up to Digne, I thought he was supposed to be back before Pau?

First 10 minutes Moreno was getting loads to space to run into but then we concede and we just don't know how to react and then the opposition take total control for long spells.

Just now, VillaChris said:

What's up to Digne, I thought he was supposed to be back before Pau?

First 10 minutes Moreno was getting loads to space to run into but then we concede and we just don't know how to react and then the opposition take total control for long spells.

Moreno looks like he has lost that yard of pace that made him so dangerous last season, at 30 i'm not sure it will ever come back, he's been poor lately albiet massively exposed at times

Digne can't get back quick enough

1 minute ago, Osirus said:

Moreno looks like he has lost that yard of pace that made him so dangerous last season, at 30 i'm not sure it will ever come back, he's been poor lately albiet massively exposed at times

I think Moreno's been o.k lately bar Newcastle where everyone was rubbish. Ramsey having an incredibly frustrating injury season has really hindered us as him and Moreno developed a brilliant understanding in the final months.

I agree we feel a bit lopsided as a team. Very frustrating tonight as I felt Ollie was on it with his touch and pressing but he really was feeding on scraps with the service.

6 minutes ago, Osirus said:

I think a big part of the problem is he’s running a whole left side by himself at times, he’s getting the ball just inside opponents half’s with nothing in front of him. Last season it was more attacking their box 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

By deeper, it’s just kinda shit we have our backup CB pairing. 

But I truly believe that a lot of our build up problems are waiting for this Cash and Kamara rotation. 

The simplest of football axioms is to have a system where everyone knows where the other players are at. 

When we do this Kamara dropping to CB, Cash as RW, it often ends up with Cash in the same spot as Bailey, nullifying any of Baileys threat. 

It also tends to make us very right side heavy with Moreno super isolated on the left. This in turn makes us very susceptible to the counter on the left hand side. Lenglet too slow to make challenges up the pitch. Luiz covering acres of ground by himself. McGinn and Moreno stuck tracking back from a high position. 

This rotation cascades problems all around the pitch. 

Absolutely. Konsa missing at RB hurts us  both defensively AND offensively. Kamara at RB should not be totally discounted……

3 minutes ago, eholm said:

Absolutely. Konsa missing at RB hurts us  both defensively AND offensively. Kamara at RB should not be totally discounted……

Or a regular back three of Carlos - Lenglet-Pau until Konsa is fit. 

Whatever the best option is, it is NOT Cash at RB unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, eholm said:

Or a regular back three of Carlos - Lenglet-Pau until Konsa is fit. 

Whatever the best option is, it is NOT Cash at RB unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I just hope it's down to missing players and not that we have been found out tactically. Seems just to easy some games.

I think it’s a combination of both and my only nagging criticism of Unai is that he tries to play the same way with suboptimal parts. 

But then all of a sudden refuses to play with Cash as the 3rd CB. Let Cash play as the 3rd CB and live or die by his ability there. Trying to shoehorn a different system to hide Cash’s deficiencies is a huge mistake. 

After all, Ashley Young AND Cash played as the 3rd CB last year and were perfectly competent. 

Edited by DJBOB

Another thing is, it has been proved time and time again,  we just have a first 11, the rest are not good enough. I think with Digne, Pau and Kionsa back, we will be back on it. Problem is, when is that?

Perhaps the slow buildup has run its course.  Teams seem ready for it and we tend to get stuck in first gear and can’t pickup the pace as a result. 

The system might pay dividends when you’re the challenger but is not suitable when you’re the protagonist. 

I don’t think it’s necessarily tied to slow build up.

For a lot of reasons I highlighted in previous posts, we are very unbalanced with certain lineups. I think it’s been exposed how reliant we were on Pau as well. 

That’s on Unai to figure out. 

Edited by DJBOB

Â