Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Wasting every good attacking situation should not guarantee you a start.

We’re better in attack with JJ on the left, and Saturday was the best he’s played since he’s come back. Had no pre season and was injured again, he’ll be starting 

On 13/02/2024 at 07:00, Captain_Townsend said:

Personally I feel, maybe we need to shift formation to more of a 4-3-3/4-5-1?

‐--------‐-------Martinez------------

Cash-----Carlos-----Pau-------Moreno

-----McGinn----Luiz--‐--Youri-----

Bailey-----‐--------------------------Ramsey

‐---------------Watkins‐---------------

This is what I want to see, think we’re so much better in attack when we’ve got width and Moreno alone doesn’t provide enough down the left. Things have been stale for a while and the next three could be an opportunity to try something else. 

Current injury list:

Mings (long term)
Konsa (short term)
Pau Torres (hopefully very short term)
Diego Carlos (short term)
Kamara (long term)
Buendia (long term)
Duran (short term)

Anyone else?

5 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Pau doesn't have the mobility for defensive midfield 

I do see your point....but Pep does play Stones There.

Maybe, Konsa, could be given a whirl....but I think, Tim is my choice, to try.

16 hours ago, AV82 said:

Pau, Lenglet about to become the slowest defensive pairing ever fielded in the history of football. 😅

Moreno and Cash will have to play outside them 

On 14/02/2024 at 18:18, villan95 said:

In hindsight it's a shame we loaned out Kerr Smith and Josh Feeney, could have been a big opportunity for one of them.

Both u21 so wouldn't have to be registered if we could somehow get them back. 

12 hours ago, Didiersix said:

Anyone know if either Pau or Lenglet have ever played right side of a centre back pairing? 

When Pau and Laporte used to start together for Spain, one will have been on the right. But thinking about it, I reckon that was Laporte, so probably not (I may be remembering wrong though).

• Like 1

If Torres doesn't start, which I don't believe he will, we simply cannot play the same high line tactics, it would be suicide. 

Our full backs will have to be far more defensive and i'd play a 4-5-1

Emi

Cash.   Chambers.   Lenglet.     Moreno

Bailey.   Mcginn.    Luiz  Ramsey.   Diaby

Ollie

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If Torres doesn't start, which I don't believe he will, we simply cannot play the same high line tactics, it would be suicide. 

Our full backs will have to be far more defensive and i'd play a 4-5-1

Emi

Cash.   Chambers.   Lenglet.     Moreno

Bailey.   Mcginn.    Luiz  Ramsey.   Diaby

Ollie

That team would scare me, although appreciate we may have no choice but to go with it.

I like the idea of the Bailey Diaby duo... about time they got a chance to swap wings and run riot. But that defence majorly concerns me. 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

That team would scare me, although appreciate we may have no choice but to go with it.

I like the idea of the Bailey Diaby duo... about time they got a chance to swap wings and run riot. But that defence majorly concerns me. 

Me too! 

I just kind of want to prepare everyone when they see the starting line up and the general positions when we start playing.

I'd be very surprised if Unai decides to deviate from his preferred tactics. That's not to say he's not going to make tweaks here and there - but a manager at his level is going to believe in his system and coach whatever players he has left at his disposal.

It will be less than ideal with Chambers/Lenglet/Pau - whatever we're throwing out there to face Fulham, but the death spiral of most other managers is suddenly changing formations/tactics. Unai's system has brought us here and has served him well for most of his career and a good manager should tweak systems to fit best players instead of destroying it to accommodate worse players.

A prime example of this is Liverpool persisting the high line with Nat Philips when they had their CB injury crisis. It did not fit Philips at all, but Klopp stuck to the system and rode out all the bumps instead of trying to switch to something else and ruining all the work he's put in over the years.

I think Unai will do the same and stick with his preferred style.

Worth a mention on how good our squad is, despite all the injuries. Players sometimes being asked to play in unfamiliar positions etc, but so much quality still.

We’re a very good team and are a match for anyone on our day. Emery certainly getting the best out of this squad at present. 

Â