Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

As I see it, ahead of pre-season these are the only players who are guaranteed starters next season

Martinez

Cash

Mings

Digne

Ramsey

Coutinho

Buendia

we need a first XI Centreback, Defensive midfielder, central midfielder and a striker in this transfer window. 

100% agree with this, if you add kamara to this, thats 8/11 sorted.

I would like to see Bissouma, then a DC and Striker ofc... ;)

Edited by MaVilla

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

100% agree with this, if you add kamara to this, thats 8/11 sorted.

I would like t see Bissouma, then a DC and Striker ofc... ;)

Seriously hope the Kamara rumours/reports are true as he is certainly what we need.

Bissouma would be good too. 

• Like 1

Worst case scenario is we sign a handful of really good players but Gerrard can't make it work and he's sacked. Players remain at Villa, new and improved manager takes over.

34 minutes ago, KMitch said:

The entire team was built around Grealish...  Of course we would struggle without him, as would any team with a genuine world class player missing from their lineup. The point of bringing in Buendia & Bailey this summer was to give us actual quality options to not have to rely on Grealish alone when he hits his yearly injury and misses ~10 games.  Gerrard actually had a fully fit Buendia, Bailey, AND Coutinho/Digne and struggled to get the team playing consistent enough, whereas Smith had to play 3 at the back and stick El Lazy & Young up top, because everyone else was injured. 

Anyway, Smith is gone & Gerrard is here.  I don't see any improvement in play so far under Gerrard on the pitch, but there has been a significant upgrade on recruitment so far, so maybe when Gerrard eventually gets the sack, we can go after someone like Mourinho to get us into the Champions League with an actual talented squad.  

My take is we signed three players but created an imbalance. Smith clearly struggled to find the balance and that was the downfall, even when players were available. We’ve seen some good rotation since November but still don’t have a clear style of play. Now we could be seeing signings which could create our style and have to see what happens after the summer

16 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Worst case scenario is we sign a handful of really good players but Gerrard can't make it work and he's sacked. Players remain at Villa, new and improved manager takes over.

Its the best case scenario 😛  

Sadly I think we can have anotherseason or two of lower mid table struggles but Purslow will keep his buddy

Edited by Zatman

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its the best case scenario 😛  

Sadly I think we can have anotherseason or two of lower mid table struggles but Purslow will keep his buddy

Yeah, what I mean is we're in good shape even if Gerrard fails. At the very least he's a useful name to attract better players. Jury still out on his managerial acumen.

• Like 1

Isn’t it blatantly obvious that he persevered with the system he wants to play (i.e that similar to  the elite teams) to fully highlight the investment needed in the playing squad to the owners? 

He bet it all on the summer and the early signs are that he is already attracting players that ordinarily wouldn’t even have taken the call from us. 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

And they are upset that the bloke (and his staff) that signed them has been fired, and now they have to learn a new system and impress someone new.

Thats when teams shuffle around the bottom 3 and end up with a Chinese charlatan owner and Steve Bruce/Tony Pulis managing them.

On 21/05/2022 at 13:16, Rich192 said:

I’m sure I’m not alone in not liking this formation, either the two 10s or the diamond. It seems like whichever one we play, we’re easy to play through, and without much attacking fluidity. We actually play better with the diamond, but that means dropping Buendia or Coutinho, and we must find a way to play them both. 

I’m also sure that we’ve all got an opinion on who to sign, who to retain in the first team, etc. Well here’s the formation and current players I’d be happy with for next season:

—————————Martinez————————

Cash———NEW————Mings*———Digne

——————NEW————NEW———————

Buendia—————Coutinho—————NEW

———————Ings/Watkins*———————

*If someone better is available on the market, then absolutely fine by me, bring them in, but I don’t see it as urgent for this window.

I think it was Delphinho who said they could see Ramsey in that AML role, and I agree, which would solve us finding a place for him in the team, and also not needing to find someone new there. 

The midfield two need to be players who can defend, and also pass. Two of Kamara, Bissouma, Sangare or Phillips would be great. I haven’t seen Kamara or Sangare, so one with Prem experience would probably be prudent, and my preference would be Kamara and Bissouma. 

It does show that we’re only a few players away from a good side. It’s also irrelevant, as McGinn will be in any midfield next season. 

That’s my tuppence, anyway, for what it’s worth. 

I am going to disagree with you on the formation.  I think the plan is for Digne and Cash to bomb forward and provide the width and for Emi / Coutinho to play as a creative 2 behind the striker.  Based on that I do think we need a midfield three - with the more defensive of the three dropping back so that the two central defenders can provide a bit of width if / when we get counter-attacked.  It hasn't worked this season because Luiz, McGinn and JJ are not good enough defensively.  But with the right signings I think this could be a really good formation that will provide creativity going forwards and solidity when defending. 

So I 100% agree that Emi, Cash, Digne, Buendia and Coutinho start.  I would also keep Mings but I want him to be our "junior" central defender.  I also think that Ings is a good option but from the bench.  So we are in full agreement on that part. 

Kamara (if true) looks like a really good option.  But I am not sure that Kamara, McGinn and Luiz or Kamara, McGinn and JJ are solid enough to make us difficult to play through.  So I agree with you about the need for another midfielder and think we need someone who will be our midfield leader rather than McGinn.  The names you mention are all good options - possibly JW-P would be another?  That then means that McGinn / Luiz / JJ and Chuk would be able to fill the more "attacking" central midfield role and give us real strength from the bench / rotation options / etc.  Whilst Luiz and McGinn have frustrated the hell out of me this season I do think that with better support they could thrive.  So, for me, one of them or JJ fills the third "NEW" midfield role have.

I think a defensive leader is a must - someone who can order around Mings and keep him on his toes.  There is a lot that Mings does well but I think his defensive organisation lets him down and he gets caught in the wrong position too often.  A good defender pushing him about would (I think) really help.  But obviously it is a tough ask to find someone who can do that and whom Mings would be happy to cede too.  But I think we'd see a big improvement in Tyrone if that happened.

Which leaves the striker role.  For me, if we can get good money for Ollie I would be looking to sell him.  I just don't think his finishing is good enough but more crucially his ball retention is appaling.  There are undoubtedly strengths to his game as a pressing forward but I don't think they align with what we need moving forwards.  I think we need a striker with quick feet to link up with Emi2 / Coutinho, who is good at making runs into space around the box for our midfielders to find and enough of an aerial threat to make crosses from Digne / Cash dangerous.  I don't have any suggestions for who that is (apart from a 24 year old Jamie Vardy!!).

As you say we have the basis of a good team - however, in many ways we need to strengthen our central spine and whilst that involves fewer players (than having a good spine and having to build around it) it is higher risk (in terms of the signings actually having the required impact) and is likely to cost more as those players will command a higher premium and are likely to be attracting other teams around us as well!  But if Lange, Christian and SG get it right we could yet be a big threat next season (and in the future).

49 minutes ago, sne said:

At least yesterday showed that Coutinho and Buendia can play together as 10's even against top teams.

Never any doubt for me.

How it was ever in doubt is baffling. Two technically gifted players who like to play similarly but on opposite sides of the pitch.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

How it was ever in doubt is baffling. Two technically gifted players who like to play similarly but on opposite sides of the pitch.

They did occupy the same space and went for the same balls a couple times the first times Gerrard played them together but it felt like that was down to a new system and lacking instructions rather than them being greedy ball hogs.

Hopefully those two and their creativity is what we will build our game around going forward. Be really disappointed if we don't.

• Like 1

We’ve got a strong squad and some really good players. One of the best I can remember. It all counts for nothing though if they don’t believe we’re good enough to compete

Mentality is what Steven Gerrard needs to address with the players. Mental strength under pressure. Easier said than  done

Having high profile players at the club like Courtinho helps. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some others…

Having players like that in your squad that the other players can learn from and look up to

Against Liverpool at home it was a free hit and although they lost they played with no fear and put in a great performance

It’s no easy thing to do but will be interesting to see what happens next season. 

UTV

20 minutes ago, Vincenzo said:

We’ve got a strong squad and some really good players. One of the best I can remember. It all counts for nothing though if they don’t believe we’re good enough to compete

Mentality is what Steven Gerrard needs to address with the players. Mental strength under pressure. Easier said than  done

Having high profile players at the club like Courtinho helps. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some others…

Having players like that in your squad that the other players can learn from and look up to

Against Liverpool at home it was a free hit and although they lost they played with no fear and put in a great performance

It’s no easy thing to do but will be interesting to see what happens next season. 

UTV

Its the mentality and strength of character that needs to be worked on. Wstched the 94 and 96 coca cola finals last week and those Villa players were relentless. Guts determination and a load of skill to go with it. Those lot would not have shipped 3 in 5 minutes. They would have gone straight through the opponent and got a yellow and then hit the reset button while the physio was on the pitch putting their leg back together . 

Spending big money to find the perfect striker has to be the least effective way to improve a team, considering the price of proven strikers.

Getting a top goalkeeper probably has the best ROI, but maybe a case could be made for going big on a centre-back or DM as well.

16 hours ago, allani said:

I would also keep Mings but I want him to be our "junior" central defender.

I think a defensive leader is a must - someone who can order around Mings and keep him on his toes.  There is a lot that Mings does well but I think his defensive organisation lets him down and he gets caught in the wrong position too often.  A good defender pushing him about would (I think) really help.  But obviously it is a tough ask to find someone who can do that and whom Mings would be happy to cede too.  But I think we'd see a big improvement in Tyrone if that happened.

Agree with all you said apart from a little at this bit, and before I post further I should clarify that I am a fan of Mings...

Tyrone Mings is 29 years old, he shouldn't need a more senior defender to "push him about" - for 2 reasons, both very similar. 1) He is 29, so a more senior player is going to be 32/33, which Im not sure is the profile of the defender we'd look for. And 2). He is 29... if he needs "pushing about" and guiding through a game at 29 then we have to accept that the problem isn't necessarily who is next to Mings...

• Like 1

Ollie

Coutinho        Ramsey           Buendia

Kamara           McGinn

Digne          Mings      Chambers    Cash

At present we could currently field this team. McGinn interchangeable for any of Luiz, Sanson etc.

Chambers for any top CB .

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

It’s best to look at us having a squad now rather than an XI and back ups, we’re gonna need to rotate players and make good subs (5 now, we’re gonna want to use them and keep legs fresh for 90) in every league game if we want to get a European place and then a good campaign on both fronts the following season.

Forwards (2/3 places)

Watkins, Ings, Coutinho, Bailey, Buendia (JPB, Archer, Davis, Traore) Suarez?

Midfield (3/4 places)

McGinn, Kamara, Ramsey, Luiz, Sanson, Iroegbunam, Chukwuemeka, Buendia in diamond (Nakamba)

Defence (4 places)

Mings, Konsa, Chambers, Hause, Cash, Digne, Young (KKH, Targett, Guilbert)

Players in brackets likely to not be here next season in some form - It’s pretty good and even depth to be honest. Centre back and a left back for the future is probably high on the list but aside from that I think you’re looking at the deals that are obvious steps up in quality.

We’re actually in really nice shape as flat as the end of the season has felt.

Edited by a m ole

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ollie

Coutinho        Ramsey           Buendia

Kamara           McGinn

Digne          Mings      Chambers    Cash

At present we could currently field this team. McGinn interchangeable for any of Luiz, Sanson etc.

Chambers for any top CB .

Depending on how good Kamara is that team should be finishing top half. 

Â