Diving and Acting

Spoony

42 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

In the same breath that Dermot Gallagher disagrees with the red card, he ties himself in knots with some absolute nonsense: “If the referee looks back and he sees what I’ve just seen now, which he couldn’t on the day, he might have made a different decision.”

Eh?!? Asking us to have sympathy with the ref? Of course Chris Kavanagh could have seen that on the day! It was the main angle FFS! He and Paul Tierney in the VAR booth could have watched it in super slo-mo and had a good old chat about it. You know, actually shown some interest in the fact Henderson’s foot was high, he arrived a week late, and connected with Watson’s knee. 

Compare and contrast with the level of VAR analysis when the on-field decision goes against Man United, like when West Brom had the cheek to win a pen at Old Trafford. Five minutes of forensic observations later, it is decided golden child Fernandes got 1% of the ball and only 99% of Conor Gallagher’s shin, and a clear-as-day penalty is magicked into a clear-and-obvious-error.

i would say the whole system is broken but, sadly, I suspect it is working exactly as was always intended.

Elementary... my dear Watkins. 

Fully agree with you 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Put Ollie in a Man U shirt and the ref gives it as a pen

yep. 100%.

I really don't care what they decide in retrospect. It doesn't matter now. They **** up again and let them get away with everything.

I really don't know what has to change. The refs, the FA, the usual suspects. It's all rotten to the core. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

yep. 100%.

I really don't care what they decide in retrospect. It doesn't matter now. They **** up again and let them get away with everything.

I really don't know what has to change. The refs, the FA, the usual suspects. It's all rotten to the core. 

They should send the FA refs to Bundesliga, Italians to Ligue 1, French to England, etc, and swap them round every season. Just do something because there is such an unjust sickening taste left in the mouth over here practically on a weekly basis with the decisions. Dont know what its like around Europe but it cant be this incompetent.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It was a dive. But it should have been a penalty and not a card

Not to nitpick because I agree, but the issue with this is the definition of the word dive.

If you mean dive, as in the absence of staying on his feet when he could have, I agree. If dive means, and I’m sure this is what the rules say, that he’s made an action to intentionally deceive the referee into believing he’s been fouled when he hasn’t I disagree.

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Not to nitpick because I agree, but the issue with this is the definition of the word dive.

If you mean dive, as in the absence of staying on his feet when he could have, I agree. If dive means, and I’m sure this is what the rules say, that he’s made an action to intentionally deceive the referee into believing he’s been fouled when he hasn’t I disagree.

He was going down easily and looking for contact.

And he got the contact. It was a foul and a penalty, but Watkins was looking for it.

8 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

He was so clearly just naturally flinching and trying to avoid a man steaming at him foot first with studs at knee height. That's the most ridiculous decision I've ever seen. Can't believe people saying he was already going down looking for a penalty. I'd have tried to get our of the way of that too, even if in the end the contact was (fortunately) minimal.

Hypothetically, if that had of happened outside of the penalty area, it would be a foul.......The fact that it was inside, left the ref with a decision, he didn't want to make, so he took the easy option.

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

They should send the FA refs to Bundesliga, Italians to Ligue 1, French to England, etc, and swap them round every season. Just do something because there is such an unjust sickening taste left in the mouth over here practically on a weekly basis with the decisions. Dont know what its like around Europe but it cant be this incompetent.

It definitely is this incompetent (read: corrupt) in Italy but I agree with your point on the whole 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Hypothetically, if that had of happened outside of the penalty area, it would be a foul.......The fact that it was inside, left the ref with a decision, he didn't want to make, so he took the easy option.

Its like handball would have been handball outside the area or if he had led to a goal it would have been disallowed. Theres too many anomalies in football 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And he got the contact. It was a foul and a penalty, but Watkins was looking for it.

Ollie made a snap decision to jump to ground. Yes there was contact after the jump but its too late. If he was  clever about it he could have won the penalty cleanly just like Kane would have done. Stay on your feet and then ensure the contact. Job done. 

Even Ollie's sheepish reaction was telling. He's not a cheat, he tried to be cute and failed and the ref made the  decision he did. I don't doubt for a second if that happened against us the ref would give a pen. Anyway Ollie will learn from it. 

Why is it these pundits are using Ollie as a reason to sort var out? So what's happened to all those penalty's man u has been getting which are a complete fraudulent amount and Man u have been going after them all season. 

One thing you can guarantee between Ollie and Man u is that Ollie doesn't look for a penalty but Man u players do. Man u deliberately go into that box, try make it awkward and don't even have shooting on there mind, they would rather go down Because the pen is what they're after.

How many penalty's is it now for them this season? Has to be over 30 right? But Pundits are okay with that but not once for Ollie.

Then if they are calling for change, then change should arrive in full force and swing against not only divers but Tactical foulest as well. If it's one thing I can't stand it's how skillfull players are not allowed to play properly because of cheating son of a guys. Yes we have certain players who have felt the need to drag players down and it does my head in. Teams should not feel the need to have to take part in all this nonsense that makes the game look bad, instead the officials should clamp down on the game the moment the stupid starts and have none of it to begin with, no leniency.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly what Grealish did against Gibbs in the playoff semi final against the Baggies. He dragged his trailing foot (instead of lifting it as he would if he was trying to run normally) let it clip Gibbs leg (stupid sliding tackle), then flung himself to the floor. We were the big club in that scenario so got the penalty rather than Grealish getting booked. 

Under current rules and current state of the game, its a penalty and a disgraceful decision to send Watkins off.

What annoys me most is that Watkins has succumbed to having to join the trend of going down easy. And this is because the game completely fails to reward people that don't fall over.  Watkins has been trained by the terrible decisions this season to act this way. He's seen himself punished time and again for staying in his feet so decided not to this time, and got penalised for doing it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Exactly what Grealish did against Gibbs in the playoff semi final against the Baggies. He dragged his trailing foot (instead of lifting it as he would if he was trying to run normally) let it clip Gibbs leg (stupid sliding tackle), then flung himself to the floor. We were the big club in that scenario so got the penalty rather than Grealish getting booked. 

Under current rules and current state of the game, its a penalty and a disgraceful decision to send Watkins off.

What annoys me most is that Watkins has succumbed to having to join the trend of going down easy. And this is because the game completely fails to reward people that don't fall over.  Watkins has been trained by the terrible decisions this season to act this way. He's seen himself punished time and again for staying in his feet so decided not to this time, and got penalised for doing it.

I think the coaches had a word because it makes sense for him to be smart about it. Good strikers know when to use their strength and when to take the foul - it's just part of the game

On 09/05/2021 at 17:27, a m ole said:

You’ve never played football and had someone sliding in on you. Confirmed.

Played sunday league till I was 36.

I forgot to look back at the ref 😇

Â