Diving and Acting

Spoony

19 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Could you please give 3 examples of Grealish diving this season?

I don't have the time, patience or resources to go back through games and find all the times he's gone down without contact. Diving is subjective anyway and my opinion is he does, clearly your opinion is that he doesn't. 

On 17/02/2021 at 16:29, Mic09 said:

Could you please give 3 examples of Grealish diving this season?

Depends on which definition of dive you’d go with, but if it’s the definition ‘obviously exaggerating an impact to borderline embarrassing, but I don’t care because every other player does it’ then never mind the season, could give you 3 from every single game.

• Like 1

Jack moves his legs into the opposition and then drops. It's a skill to be fair. Plenty will say it's getting his body in-front of the ball but plenty of it is simulation. Let's not beat around the bush here.

The guy is that good at it that when he's took a serious whack then it looks the same as non-serious in real speed.

I don't think we're a side full of it. Trez is a bad-one for it but in the main, we're no worse than any other team for it.

Jack is a master of tempting people in for the ball and then getting the contact. The problem is that sometimes he flops around when they've fairly got the ball and we're a player down in defending.

13 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Jack moves his legs into the opposition and then drops. It's a skill to be fair. Plenty will say it's getting his body in-front of the ball but plenty of it is simulation. Let's not beat around the bush here.

The guy is that good at it that when he's took a serious whack then it looks the same as non-serious in real speed.

I don't think we're a side full of it. Trez is a bad-one for it but in the main, we're no worse than any other team for it.

Jack is a master of tempting people in for the ball and then getting the contact. The problem is that sometimes he flops around when they've fairly got the ball and we're a player down in defending.

Same thing Vardy does, just moves his leg between the defenders, they catch him and he goes down

There are also plenty of fouls that people call dives where players like Grealish and Vardy run quick with the ball, they get clipped whilst running quickly and any small amount of contact can mess up the way they are running so it looks like they trip themselves

Just one of those things where you overlook it a lot when it is your own player, but you see it easily when it goes against you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/02/2021 at 23:26, Fox1884 said:

Same thing Vardy does, just moves his leg between the defenders, they catch him and he goes down

There are also plenty of fouls that people call dives where players like Grealish and Vardy run quick with the ball, they get clipped whilst running quickly and any small amount of contact can mess up the way they are running so it looks like they trip themselves

Just one of those things where you overlook it a lot when it is your own player, but you see it easily when it goes against you

Agreed players have to always go down in those situations because if they stay up they ar eprobably going to stumble and lose the ball anyway. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else feel like we’re getting worse in this regard?

Traore spent most of the game against Fulham falling to the floor with seemingly no contact, Watkins likes to go down easily in the box (Sunday aside, as that was legitimate in my view), Grealish and McGinn are both in the top 5 for the division in terms of fouls ‘won’, Konsa’s get out of jail card is to just fall down whenever he’s under pressure too.

I don’t like it and it’s not becoming of the standards I associate with Aston Villa, irrespective of how rampant it may be within other teams and leagues.

Definitely feels like it’s gotten worse lately, unsure if that’s down to coaching or Grealish leading by example.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Traore spent most of the game against Fulham falling to the floor with seemingly no contact, Watkins likes to go down easily in the box (Sunday aside, as that was legitimate in my view), Grealish and McGinn are both in the top 5 for the division in terms of fouls ‘won’, Konsa’s get out of jail card is to just fall down whenever he’s under pressure too.

I don’t like it and it’s not becoming of the standards I associate with Aston Villa, irrespective of how rampant it may be within other teams and leagues.

Definitely feels like it’s gotten worse lately, unsure if that’s down to coaching or Grealish leading by example.

I think the highlighted part is the problem, it’s modern football.  At home we watched most of the football over the weekend and we were talking about the same thing as it was in all the games.  So I’m not convinced it’s Villa coaching or Grealish as much as it’s modern football, so I think your stuck with it...sorry!

• Like 2

I think Watkins has started doing it more ever since he stayed on his feet at West Ham away and his goal was disallowed with no pen awarded. Thing is he’s not v good at it, it looks quite obvious.

I do think we as a team are diving more, I think the players are being instructed to do it and I don’t like it. We’re not great at free kicks though so don’t really understand the benefit.

• Like 1

I hate diving, but I hate the subtle cheating contact that defenders do to prevent a winger getting away, or prevent a striker getting a shot away more.

If you've got a striker like Shearer, that would happily use his own elbows to good effect,  then you get a pretty even playing field, where both sides are breaking the rules.

But when you have a player like Grealish,  the amount of foul contact he suffers probably far outweighs the number of fouls he actually gets given.

Would prefer our team to not have to dive,  but when the decisions go against us (like the Watkins example earlier this season) you can see why there is zero incentive for them to stay on their feet. 

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It must be instruction, otherwise it would be stamped out. That second half from Traore was embarrassing. He went to ground about 8 times, winning 1 or 2 free kicks. And the fouls towards the end of the game were more deserving of free kicks but it felt like ref had made his mind up no to give him anything.

Trezeguet is the worst, as his theatrics are the least believable. He had one against Fulham where he threw his arms up in the air with next to no contact. Looks really stupid.

I said this after the Brighton game and I wondered are we trying to slow games down because of long Covid. I.e. go down at soonest contact and take a breather.

I dont think Watkins goes down easy generally speaking, given the amount of contact he has with players, but the others I agree with.

I hope we dive and act our way into Europe.

We are not getting the free kicks we should be getting, even if we do act. Grealish gets mauled down with no cards given until 70 minutes. Then there might be a yellow if we are lucky. 

Traore and Trezeguet are overdoing it a bit, and they look silly doing it. Still dont mind, we are not worse than other teams.

Entire Football needs and overhaul with regards of all of it.

Make a season where they do not allow holding (we will have one season with 1000 penalties, but so be it), overplaying being fouled (1000 yellows), diving (straight red), cynical fouls (give out yellows after every bloody one, even if its just delaying time by kicking the ball 1 meter away), and make the time be active playing time like basket, handball and hockey. Then we get rid of all the time wasting as well. 

23 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we do a lot of falling easily, but so does everyone else. Grealish does it the least in our side, McGinn is terrible for it.

If refs don't give them in the first 10 mins players stop doing it and you get some entertaining matches usually. They all do because they don't want a good match, and don't want anything exciting to happen. They want a dull match with the 'bigger' team getting the result they want because it'll draw the least attention.

17 minutes ago, MentalM said:

I hope we dive and act our way into Europe.

Me too. It's been working for Liverpool and Man United for years. Cheating is part of the game because the powers that be are too useless to do anything about it. 

23 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think everyone in the league is tbh.

The whole trailing leg thing is just a new part of the game that anyone attempting to tackle has to navigate too.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

I think everyone in the league is tbh.

The whole trailing leg thing is just a new part of the game that anyone attempting to tackle has to navigate too.

Kane mastered the trailing leg act against Cash, and Cash's response post game was not "VAR and Refs are shit" but "I need to learn to be smarter"....sad state of affairs when you have to learn to handle cheaters because he powers that be won't.

The title says it all doesn't it  should just it Game of Divers.

No matter what spin you put in this, I feel like Var has Little finger behind the scenes twisting all the replays to suit what it wants refs to see and what angle to show of dives or fouls.

I also think Shithousery is much worse now than it used to be and that includes us, players are doing anything to gain unfair advantages. Last season we were in so much trouble of being relegated and one of the many reasons behind why we were in trouble is we were just so damn nice. Its players, managers and teams and there desperation to win that has caused all that makes this game ridiculous, all because it's the top of football. Diving, play acting, trying to get players in trouble or even frauding the ref to tactical fouls, you name it it's worse and getting worser.

Punishments should be hard from the get go by refs and to sort it out they would need to add a no tolerance to it all. Referees who are reluctant to show reds quickly for a players crap behaviour would sort it out if they have reds quicker to players and there bullshit. To many players know a yellow is nothing and they can do whatever so many times before even a yellow is shown, put it so bluntly the refs are pussies.

So much wrong in football at the moment like Var, referee decisions, diving, play acting an injury, try to influence a ref, deliberately trying to make a penalty happen (Kane or UTD), pulling players down on clear and obvious runs (which absolutely disgust me).

Coming to the point the game is stopping every couple of minutes and each side is trying to outdo each side in some sort of slimey manner.

Edited by Dave-R

You need stronger refs. I watched the 2nd half of the baggies Chelsea game and the ref kept play going all the time, didn't give those little "not really a foul but always seem to get given" free kicks and the game was so much better for it, was similar in the PSG game last night. 

Having a ref that let's the "soft" fouls go means the whole game is better. We were pretty bad at going down easy the other day, but the ref blew his whistle at virtually every opportunity, so the players are always going to try it on and the result is a broken fragmented game where there's no real chance for quality to show. 

Â