Diving and Acting

Spoony

58 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The amount Watkins is fouled all season, and gets very little. He actually gets fouled; or if it's not a foul, it isn't a dive and he gets a sent off.

It's a complete joke.

could say the exact same about Wesley at the beginning of last season. 

4 minutes ago, Swerbs said:

You know it's probably going to be an El Ghazi false nine 🤣

He scored against Man City last season from the same position, yeah we conceded 6 as well but who’s counting 😂

Ollie hasn't initiated/created contact like Kane does.

He hasn't faked contact like Leeds players.

He's running full tilt at the keeper who has come out feet first. Ollie gets a touch last and knows he's getting hit.

The contact is a lot lighter than expected, which makes it look questionable for some.

For me though, its a pen...and even if not, is not a dive. He hasn't "simulated" anything. At all. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ref couldn't get the cards quick enough for ollie,  but your pogba maguire diving all over the place all game but no cards.

Corruption at its best

That's what gets my goat more than anything plus the commentary team dismissing any idea of an alternative reality without any serious analysis of the incident. Didn't bother to watch the studio take on it after they ignored any analysis at half-time. 

Can't fathom why I'm so angry given the inevitability of it all. I should know (much) better at my age.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chips'ngravy said:

That's what gets my goat more than anything plus the commentary team dismissing any idea of an alternative reality without any serious analysis of the incident. Didn't bother to watch the studio take on it after they ignored any analysis at half-time. 

Can't fathom why I'm so angry given the inevitability of it all. I should know (much) better at my age.

They didn’t analyse it. As in, it wasn’t even mentioned before they switched to West Ham game chat. They said further analysis on Sky Sports news, which was showing the soccer Saturday equivalent for the Women’s league. The analysis was a cut away interview with Luke Shaw.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Ollie hasn't initiated/created contact like Kane does.

He hasn't faked contact like Leeds players.

He's running full tilt at the keeper who has come out feet first. Ollie gets a touch last and knows he's getting hit.

The contact is a lot lighter than expected, which makes it look questionable for some.

For me though, its a pen...and even if not, is not a dive. He hasn't "simulated" anything. At all. 

Just watched it & he's diving before contact then the cheating clue...

He instantly looks back at the ref.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, woody153 said:

Just watched it & he's diving before contact then the cheating clue...

He instantly looks back at the ref.

You’ve never played football and had someone sliding in on you. Confirmed.

• Like 2

The other thing for me is that the inconsistency with ref's punishing diving. 

If refs generally booked players for diving, I wouldn't necessarily have that big of a problem with Watkins getting booked for that, but refs have let so many without giving cards that it's a bigger issue imo

16 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

The other thing for me is that the inconsistency with ref's punishing diving. 

If refs generally booked players for diving, I wouldn't necessarily have that big of a problem with Watkins getting booked for that, but refs have let so many without giving cards that it's a bigger issue imo

Absolutely. There have been so few bookings for diving this season (pretty sure Grealish might be the only other player to have got one in the league but can't find any actual stats for it).  Watkins, commiting his first dive (debatable) of the season, receives a booking for it, having had decisions go against him by the league all season. Consistency is shocking, but two of the worst offenders in Kane and Salah, play for the big teams so they get favourable decisions. 

It's a corrupt system designed to keep the money making big clubs at the top.

The ref from yesterday, Kavanagh, is from Manchester and has declared no allegiance to any club, so has refereed 7 games involving Manchester clubs this season. In 6 of them, the Manchester team has won. In the other one, they drew against each other. On its own you'd say that isn't a surprise as they're first and second in the league... but you look at the decisions that resulted in Watkins getting sent off,  the penalty for them, the non-penalty for us, and it raises pretty significant questions about his impartiality in my mind.

• Like 2

On 09/05/2021 at 17:06, Villaphan04 said:

could say the exact same about Wesley at the beginning of last season. 

I remember that Brighton game where he made Webster look like a child but literally just turning round and rolling him and it got given a foul.

I think this was the issue with wesley. He's so big that when he does something it's a foul to the opposition but when they do something it's a dive 

11 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I've brought this up so many times before but if this is a dive from Watkins (which it isn't) how does Kane get a pen from the Cash tackle?

Cash has slide in front of him to block a shot, Kane has ran away from the ball and fallen over Cash. You talk about who initiated contact. Kane has literally ran in the opposite direction of the ball to make contact with Cash. And the pundits all parrot the same BS. "Smart play from Kane/ Naïve from Cash. He gets that pen because he's England captain and no other reason. 

What gets me most about VAR when it comes to decisions against the Super League Clubs is that they make an instant decision. There was no long winded checking 20 replays to see if Henderson caught Watkins. 

But it all boils down to the same thing, the refs favour the bigger clubs and all VAR has done is ensure that the terrible decisions made by the refs are upheld. 

well its a joke system, lets be honest. I said it before I think Watkins is the 1st player this season to get booked for diving.

Salah, Son, Kane and Fernandes jump around like its a swimming pool and nothing happens. Premier League referees are cowards

• Like 1

(From August 2019) Clubs with most PL yellow cards for diving since the start of the 2015/16 season:

10 – Crystal Palace
9 – Tottenham, Arsenal
6 – Watford, Liverpool, Man Utd
5 – Everton, Chelsea, Man City, Swansea, Bournemouth
4 – Southampton, Leicester, West Ham, Huddersfield
3 – Stoke, Sunderland, Burnley
2 – Aston Villa, Newcastle
1 – Middlesbrough, Brighton, West Brom, Fulham, Wolves

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He was so clearly just naturally flinching and trying to avoid a man steaming at him foot first with studs at knee height. That's the most ridiculous decision I've ever seen. Can't believe people saying he was already going down looking for a penalty. I'd have tried to get our of the way of that too, even if in the end the contact was (fortunately) minimal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

He was so clearly just naturally flinching and trying to avoid a man steaming at him foot first with studs at knee height. 

Yep.  You see his arms and shoulders hunch up awaiting being clattered. Needs to get better at cheating like Kane.. or play for a scummy 6 club.

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

In the same breath that Dermot Gallagher disagrees with the red card, he ties himself in knots with some absolute nonsense: “If the referee looks back and he sees what I’ve just seen now, which he couldn’t on the day, he might have made a different decision.”

Eh?!? Asking us to have sympathy with the ref? Of course Chris Kavanagh could have seen that on the day! It was the main angle FFS! He and Paul Tierney in the VAR booth could have watched it in super slo-mo and had a good old chat about it. You know, actually shown some interest in the fact Henderson’s foot was high, he arrived a week late, and connected with Watkins’ knee. 

Compare and contrast with the level of VAR analysis when the on-field decision goes against Man United, like when West Brom had the cheek to win a pen at Old Trafford. Five minutes of forensic observations later, it is decided golden child Fernandes got 1% of the ball and only 99% of Conor Gallagher’s shin, and a clear-as-day penalty is magicked into a clear-and-obvious-error.

i would say the whole system is broken but, sadly, I suspect it is working exactly as was always intended.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
Watkins not Watson 🤦‍♂️
  • Like 2

Â