Diving and Acting

Spoony

Every fan of every other club likes to point out to me what a bunch of divers Villa are. I accept that Grealish does actually get the crap kicked out of him and isn’t a diver but I’ve noticed more and more that our players do like a scream and a roll around on the floor these days. Douglas Luiz, Grealish, Wesley, Trezeguet and Sanson have all been guilty of it.

I get that it’s part of the modern game and I’m generally ok with ‘buying’ fouls (if you can’t beat them, join them) but I do find the way our players throw themselves over and scream a bit embarrassing and I now totally accept the argument that Villa are one of the worst teams for this kind of behaviour.

Anyone else noticed this / does it actually bother people or do I just need to accept that’s what modern football is? 

• Like 3

I absolutely refuse to accept the idea Grealish is a diver. I've seen him do that twice in 5 years or so. You can't kick a man senseless, then complain he falls to the ground.

But yea we have others that go down easily, but that's just football now. You think other teams aren't like that? Seen Bamford, Salah, Fernandes, Richarlison, Foden, Sterling, Maddison, Zaha. They are all the same bunch in this regards. But Grealish, nope. No chance. If any of those were kicked as much as Jack is every single match, well I don't think they would last 90 minutes. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

All sides do it. We saw it from Brighton numerous times last night. Trossard was guilty of a pretty blatant one on the edge of the box against Luiz last night. Going down easily. 

I read west ham pride themselves on NOT doing it. But the game recently, I watched soucek go down very easily when someone won the ball. Amongst one or two others.

It's part and parcel of the game and it's very frustrating. We do it, but no worse than other teams. We just get singled out because 'GreAlISh DiVes', when in reality he does go down easy but who can blame him from protecting himself when he gets kicked to shit every week by all players.

It's a clear and presumably deliberate shift. I don't mind it too much, we don't do the really snide stuff to try and get people sent off for nothing at all.

We just play the game. It would be and has been a disadvantage not to, and we've probably been a bit too nice in the past. It's rubbish but this is where we are. I'd prefer it wasn't necessary and part of me likes the idea of being the one upstanding team in the game, but it wouldn't work.

In this context it's actually pretty funny to hear Grealish still get abused for it. He's a player who does get booted every five minutes and won't drop unless he physically can't keep the ball.

I think we just notice the rest of the team because we generally haven't done it much before and now we do. By no means are we close to the worst for it.

• Like 1

To put Jack down as a diver is ridiculous.   Isn't he the most fouled player in the league?  If he was constantly diving in pretty sure he'd have picked up more bookings than he has. 

Ha, I nearly started a thread on this last night.

It's about half the side that go down easily. I don't remember seeing Cash, Targett and Mings going down  but Konsa does reasonably regularly. Its generally clever getting his body in the way to win fouls. But I wish he wouldn't as it's most likely in his position to concede a goal. It only takes a strong ref to wave play on and we're in trouble. The midfield and forward players go down often for small contact, apart from Traore I'd say? I dont remember him trying to engineer a fee kick.

Trezeguet is the worst. His theatrics arent even convincing. They're just too extreme for the contact. Atleast react with a proportionate fall to the contact and not like you've been stabbed.

Grealish doesnt dive,  he goes down following strong contact when it suits him based on that passage of play.

I wish that we'd stamp it out but it's what football has turned into in recent years. Kane with his back to goal feels contact yesterday and threw himself down. Nearly scores from the resultant free kick. 

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Every fan of every other club likes to point out to me what a bunch of divers Villa are. I accept that Grealish does actually get the crap kicked out of him and isn’t a diver but I’ve noticed more and more that our players do like a scream and a roll around on the floor these days. Douglas Luiz, Grealish, Wesley, Trezeguet and Sanson have all been guilty of it.

I get that it’s part of the modern game and I’m generally ok with ‘buying’ fouls (if you can’t beat them, join them) but I do find the way our players throw themselves over and scream a bit embarrassing and I now totally accept the argument that Villa are one of the worst teams for this kind of behaviour.

Anyone else noticed this / does it actually bother people or do I just need to accept that’s what modern football is? 

Not sure how many others game you watch but could it just be you watch villa a lot more than other teams? During lockdown I watch a lot of football and we’re no worse than other teams mate.

• Like 2

I think people are confusing diving with going down too easily. Jack doesn’t dive but he does wait for contact before falling at times. A lot of players do that. It might have been considered diving once. But these days it’s part of the game to ensure you get a freekick.

• Like 1

If anything, I think we are pretty shite at it if you compare to the standard achieved by the likes of Manure and Leeds. I have noticed lately Watkins is trying a few dives in the box but everytime was just so unconvincing. Is it cheating, yes. Do I like it? No. But if you don't dive like if you are being sniped at in the box you simply don't get any noticed from those monkeys with cards and whistles.

Get's more noticeable this season in empty stadiums where you can hear everything. Refs have a huge part in why it looks like it does because unless a players throws up their arms and falls down theatrically screaming the refs will not blow the whistle. And even worse they seem to have stopped handing out cards for diving this season so there is no penalty for trying it.

Generally don't like it when our players does it, specifically in situations where they have a chance to get the ball but rather choose to fall down. It happens. Not sure we are any different from most other teams.

As for Grealish he is good at finding contact and getting FK's, he also gets kicked all over the place all of the time every game.

With all the weird VAR decisions, suspicious pro Manchester club refereeing I come to this conclusion:

I dont care, I hope Grealish rolls and dives us into Europe. If he gets an Oscar while doing it, great. Game has turned into this, people not getting booked for the countless assaults they have on him. I think he overplays, but he does not dive. Personally I hope we play as unfairly as we can, since thats obviously the way to go now adays. 

Dive us into Europe Jack!

• Like 1

They definitely need to take action on these players who fall to the ground like they've been poleaxed holding their face following zero or minimal contact. 

They're trying to get someone sent off, VAR should ensure THEY are the ones sent off.  They might think twice before being a clearing in the woods then. 

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

There should have been at 4 yellows for the fouls on Jack yesterday. The referees are absolutely crap. I hope we lobby the corrupt bastards.!

Veltman took him out early on and was no card given 

• Like 1

Â