Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

the club didnt think he was amazing or would have broke the bank. Ward Prowse improves our midfield but not for his value. He is at most a 30 million player and Southampton wanted 50. Why should we get ripped off, then every signing we make gets doubled up in price because of stupid gullible Villa. Maybe the scouts/board see a better player somewhere next summer for 20 million while we are still in the Premier League

FWIW I never wanted Ward Prowse

I agree we didn't want to overpay, but also think we needed to shift someone first and if we had, then we probably would have paid what they wanted.

• Like 1

I just ended up on a player Instagram binge. Started with Samatta and ended up with Reina. I still forget to this day Reina even played a part in our survival. It would make anyone appreciate how far we’ve come. Saw so many training pics and here’s an example of what we were working with two seasons ago. I wanted a new DM tackling machine/pass master/Interceptionist/Hard man more than anyone but if Dean and the boys are happy with what we’ve got then let’s go. Here’s to a big season and hopefully the europa league. UTV

1EDD61EA-D3BC-4C85-B596-1EF6921D8716.jpeg

Edited by IrishVilla10
  • Like 1

So a net negative spend this summer...love the influx of exciting talent but disappointed there wasn't a net positive outlay by ownership. 

Bright side is there's a clearer path for the youngsters. Downside is MF is a huge question mark and obvious weak link unless some of these players step up their game. 

You improve the squad by buying first teamers that push the current starters to the bench. It's what we've done already.

El Ghazi and Trez from first choice to 3rd/4th choice respectively in 2 seasons. The owners not buying squad players doesn't indicate the taps have been turned off, just that we couldn't find the right player to go straight into the first team.

We obviously thought JWP was that player for example. I'd rather take this approach than buy someone to ride the bench and then decide they're not good enough 12 months later.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You improve the squad by buying first teamers that push the current starters to the bench. It's what we've done already.

El Ghazi and Trez from first choice to 3rd/4th choice respectively in 2 seasons. The owners not buying squad players doesn't indicate the taps have been turned off, just that we couldn't find the right player to go straight into the first team.

We obviously thought JWP was that player for example. I'd rather take this approach than buy someone to ride the bench and then decide they're not good enough 12 months later.

Actually 4th and 5th rather than 3rd. Although for all wingers. 
I agree with you, we’re finding it hard shifting those players too. I prefer this approach and I can understand that we’re having a very good vision doing that, rather than panic buys.

• Like 1

It makes a change that we’ve come out of a transfer window and actually made a profit. Spending and spending the way we have been without any real sales isn’t healthy I don’t care what anyone says. 

This mythical midfielder that would’ve made us unbelievable would’ve been nice but our midfield really isn’t as bad as some like to make out. I’m also happy that there’s now a clear pathway to first team games for the likes of Chukwuemeka. 

I’m happy with the window, we’ve signed some brilliant players. I look forward to finally having a fit team and seeing them all together. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Farlz said:

It makes a change that we’ve come out of a transfer window and actually made a profit. Spending and spending the way we have been without any real sales isn’t healthy I don’t care what anyone says. 

This mythical midfielder that would’ve made us unbelievable would’ve been nice but our midfield really isn’t as bad as some like to make out. I’m also happy that there’s now a clear pathway to first team games for the likes of Chukwuemeka. 

I’m happy with the window, we’ve signed some brilliant players. I look forward to finally having a fit team and seeing them all together. 

I'm very happy that we have young players with a clear path to the first team. This season is a bit of a freebie. I don't understand the clamour for Europe this year at all. We don't have Mic Lub to worry about losing if we don't get it.

If we come out at the end of the season a stronger, more cohesive outfit, with players like Carney, JPB and Ramsey making real progress, then I see that as a better season than last in all honesty. It gives us the platform to really make a proper push next year. Besides, I can see us making a real tilt at the FA Cup, which is a direct route to Europe anyway. We have a squad now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

I agree with what you say very much. If we add Sanson to this window then we've got:

Young, Buendia, Bailey, Ings, Tuanzebe and Sanson.

Last season we got:

Watkins, Traore, Martinez, Cash, Barkley.

From the look of it, only Barkley seem a bad transfer, Sanson still needs a proper run. That shows we know what we're doing. We've spend less than our first season too but a huge difference in terms of quality. The main down side is losing Jack Grealish.

Last season no one thought of Europe before our start apart few of us (some even laughed at that). We need to act properly and know when to move, the next step isn't an easy one. If one or two our youngsters fulfilled their potentials then that would give a huge chance to make Europe trips much easier. Jack Grealish came in the hardest time helping the team to get back to it's right place, build a good platform to the future. Now it's a time of another Jack's, probably not at the same calibre but somehow near.

As much as I wanted us to get at least 1 more player in, I accept that we have to exercise some common sense.

People do the " I don't care, it's not my money " until your club is financial ruin, saddled in debt, and stuck with " Bomb Squads " on high wages which could actually hinder us signing the " right " players in future.

We might just have to accept that our progress will be " slow and sustainable ", as frustrating as it is to see the likes of West Ham looking like yet another club pushing ahead of us.

Don't be surprised if some of those clubs above and around us, end up having to sell players at cut prices in the future ( Which we can then possibly pick up ) due to financial pressure and/or underachieving.

Reluctant to say " Trust the process " due to Arsenal, but pretty much that. 

The aim will now be for Dean and the coaching staff to get the absolute maximum out of some of our " weaker " players, which will hopefully then lead to somebody actually wanting to pay money for them, and freeing up spaces/wages.

I also wouldn't be surprised if wheels turn in January though. we have no clue what's going on behind the scenes either.

• Like 3

Can’t help but feel the window really fizzled out for us. Started really well getting Buendia and Bailey. The Ings signing was completely out of left field and surprising in more ways than that. Didn’t feel he fit the profile of players we were supposed to be looking at but can’t argue with his quality.

I feel like there was a real opportunity with the grealish money to go and spend another 30-40m and go get some real midfield quality we’ve been lacking. We know the money was there with the ESR and JWP bids. Did the club spend too long chasing them? Were we tunnel visioned? Got to feel there’s legitimate questions to be asked about why we didn’t kick on after that early success and go and get what the majority on here can see we needed.

Even so, with the players we’ve signed we should be excited and confident of at least matching last seasons position but I wouldn’t be surprised if smith wasn’t here at the end of the season either. It’s a fine like between success and failure and there’s a real danger that for the first time under NSWE we’ll go backwards (a little, I don’t think there’s any danger we go down).

Final score - 6/10 decent, not spectacular.

• Like 2

I think some fans will see it as an abject failure if we do not make Europe this season.  That is not an easy thing to do in most seasons and I think those teams last year that underperformed have gotten better for the most part so means will be even harder. And yes I will admit I did think we needed to bring in one or more guys to strengthen our squad a tad more, but it is what it is and I have faith Dean and company will get the best out of what we have; haven't even had our strongest xi out there together yet and I don't think we have played all that poorly so far tbh.

Glad to see the faith being placed in the younger guys and hopefully when it comes time to talk about the January window we won't feel the need to panic buy or be full of anxiety again.

• Like 1

Very strong window from us. I love how everything is a clear plan and the aim is to execute it before the season starts. 

Engles, Elmo, Taylor, Hourihan, Guilbert, Heaton and Jack have gone for good now. Wesley out on Loan. 

Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Tuanzebe and Young all have come in. Chukwuemeka, JPB and Ramsey now the youth players. 

I can see the final piece of the plan for midfield was to get JWP and then let Nakamba or Luiz find a new club before end of the window. I suspect there was a buyer lined up for Luiz but only if JWP was signed.

8/10 window for me

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Final score - 6/10 decent, not spectacular.

I think it’s too early to tell really. It takes weeks or even months before we will know how new players turn out. Ok we have a fair indication when looking at more experienced players like Ings, Young and Tuanzebe. Buendia has PL experience and isn’t new to the country and will hopefully settle once the international nonsense is out of the way, the signs are good for him. Bailey looks great but to be honest he’s hardly kicked a ball for us yet and is new to the country let alone the club. 

Anyone of them could be a success or failure, for lots of reasons. Ross Barkley started well last season and I think most of us regarded his signing positively after a few games, but that didn’t work out at all. On the plus side the other summer signing last season have all done very well. By Christmas, if they all get/remain fit we should have a better idea. 

Of course none of us really know how the existing players have developed over the summer. Hopefully they’ve all took a step forward, but some could have stood still or gone the other way. The young lads, you’d hope, could have really made positive strides. There’s usually a surprise player good or bad, we can only wait and see. Sanson is the most obvious potential bonus, in the, “like a new player”, sense if he ever gets fit. 

I’m not disagreeing with your 6/10, just that I think it’s too early to really say.  Hopefully your 6 becomes a 7 or 8 by Christmas and not a 4 or 5. We’ll see, but there’s a strong possibility that even by Christmas some posters will regard this window as a success and others as a failure almost regardless of how things actually turn out. We haven’t even appointed the official team scapegoat for the season yet. Although some have Deano as their default setting for every set back. Fingers crossed we’re not desperate for a panic buy come January and our only real interest in that window is a leisurely stroll around the shops picking up the odd bargain. 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Very strong window from us. I love how everything is a clear plan and the aim is to execute it before the season starts. 

Engles, Elmo, Taylor, Hourihan, Guilbert, Heaton and Jack have gone for good now. Wesley out on Loan. 

Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Tuanzebe and Young all have come in. Chukwuemeka, JPB and Ramsey now the youth players. 

I can see the final piece of the plan for midfield was to get JWP and then let Nakamba or Luiz find a new club before end of the window. I suspect there was a buyer lined up for Luiz but only if JWP was signed.

8/10 window for me

To add to this. I think the club has to look at Sanson, Chukwuemeka and Ramsey and say we need to give these players this season (at least until Jan) to get game time a show what they can do and progress. Signing McKennie for example would have hampered that and is that really long term thinking. Signing Doucoure this window would have meant developing another young player who would need extra time to adapt from France. 

Lets not forget Ramsey had a great two games and McGinn has too. So there are signs of improvement from midfield vs last season. A proven Prem CDM in and one out was probably the only midfield option on the cards this summer and we didn't pull it off

• Like 3

If my maths are correct, we have 4 squad places in the 25 man squad open and plenty of cash in the bank, even if the club will rightly play it off as having spent all the JG money. It may be a somewhat disappointing end to the window for some, but we have had some quality incomings this window and I do believe we were looking for one more but couldn't pull it off for whatever reason. As others have said, it's about buying first XI players, not players who will be in and out of the team and either need some development and/or will stunt the development of our own youngins. I think we're in for some exciting times over the next few seasons with the squad we have, plus bringing in a big name here and there in the mix with our top prospects coming through. It's a great time to support this club and let's not forget that we're yet to see our best XI on the pitch this season.

Attack

Grealish, Barkley, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Traore, Watkins

Buendia, Bailey, Ings, El Ghazi, Traore, Watkins, JPB

I'm sure we've improved our attack this season.

Midfield

McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Hourihan, Ramsey

McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Sanson, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka 

I think this midfield will be better this season, full season from Sanson

Defence

Targett, Taylor, Mings, Hause, Konsa, Engles, Cash, Elmo, Guilbert

Targett, Young, Mings, Hause, Konsa, Tuanzebe, Cash

I'm sure we've improved the defence too. Young and Tuanzebe easily better than any of the backup players we had last season in any of the back 4 positions.

So overall this summer we've improved the squad vs last season. Only 1 signing has not got Prem experience in Bailey so we are confident in the performance levels of those who joined. We've additionally added two (maybe 3) excellent young players from our Academy in Chukwuekema, JPB & Archer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1