Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the OP was taking the piss mate. Not a chance in hell we’re signing Barkley.  Even if he is hanging around Costa Coffee’s in Birmingham.

Yeah, I think he was takin the mick too but I still remember that 7-2 Liverpool match and how good he was that day. I perfectly understand that we probably won’t sign him now. His form dropped off considerably in the second half of last season. I just try to be positive and remember how good he was at the start of last season

• Like 1

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Yeah, I think he was takin the mick too but I still remember that 7-2 Liverpool match and how good he was that day. I perfectly understand that we probably won’t sign him now. His form dropped off considerably in the second half of last season. I just try to be positive and remember how good he was at the start of last season

He was decent in around 2-3 games to be fair.

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the OP was taking the piss mate. Not a chance in hell we’re signing Barkley.  Even if he is hanging around Costa Coffee’s in Birmingham.

Yes, of course they were taking the pee 🤪

Salary cap is the only way to solve the lack of competition in football. Prem is richest league so can impose one to increase competition. No cap based on turnover or anything like that. A set cap for the 25 man squad

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Salary cap is the only way to solve the lack of competition in football. Prem is richest league so can impose one to increase competition. No cap based on turnover or anything like that. A set cap for the 25 man squad

100% - directive probably needs to come from FIFA though - can’t see any league taking the initiative for fear of weakening their league and strengthening others.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have a Twitter account. Who would you like me to say we are about to sign?

Pongo Waring. I bet it will end up on Sky Spurt News..

• Haha 2

We need an attacking midfielder, if you look at our squad logically it's easy to see that and I'm not sure why it's not being talked about more, if anything I'd say we need an attacking midfielder more than we need a DM, we've lost Barkley and Grealish from last season, and Hourihane is likely to go as well.

At the moment the only way we get away with not signing an attacking midfielder is by playing players out of position, such as the suggested Watkins, Ings, Bailey front three with Buendia behind them, but why move Buendia from the right hand side the position where he was so good for Norwich and showed the form that prompted us to by him, or why move Watkins from his central striking role when he's been so good there for the last two seasons, seems lopsided to me and doesn't make total sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

100% - directive probably needs to come from FIFA though - can’t see any league taking the initiative for fear of weakening their league and strengthening others.

FIFA would never get involved. It needs to be the Leagues themselves and approved via UEFA.

Only way is planned salary caps phased in over time. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We need an attacking midfielder, if you look at our squad logically it's easy to see that and I'm not sure why it's not being talked about more, if anything I'd say we need an attacking midfielder more than we need a DM, we've lost Barkley and Grealish from last season, and Hourihane is likely to go as well.

At the moment the only way we get away with not signing an attacking midfielder is by playing players out of position, such as the suggested Watkins, Ings, Bailey front three with Buendia behind them, but why move Buendia from the right hand side the position where he was so good for Norwich and showed the form that prompted us to by him, or why move Watkins from his central striking role when he's been so good there for the last two seasons, seems lopsided to me and doesn't make total sense.

I think Ings will play that role. Ollie up top with Ings in behind. Emi on the right. Bailey on the left.

36 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I posted in the Ross Barkley thread in Other Football, I saw him at Costa Coffee takeout last week. He was in his car with his girlfriend or wife, so I didn’t think it was a good idea to approach him. On that basis, I wouldn’t rule out signing, just remember the start of last season, he was brilliant 

Well this is awkward....I was joking :blush:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

No we don't. We have Watkins Ings Bailey Buendia AEG Traore to fill 4 positions. Players have roles and duties and in some regards the formation is meaningless. People trying to over complicate a game of 11 v 11 football

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Ings almost certaintly won't play anywhere other than as a striker, not sure where this idea has come from that he's No.10 or a left winger.

Ings played second striker behind Adams at Southampton. He'd be basically playing the 10 that Barkley was and Ings is brilliant off the ball. How is this a problem or downgrade?

27 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

FFP is a good idea in theory, but as we can see, in practice it’s a nightmare. 

It’s kept the big clubs big and the smaller club small. 

With big teams winning, they attract bigger sponsorships and bigger revenue. From a FFP standpoint, this gives them far much more head room to spend and get the best players. However, smaller clubs can’t win like the big clubs, they don’t get anything near the same sponsorship or revenue. So, they can’t spend big and get the best players, so they can’t win anything to attract bigger sponsorships. 

to make things worse, some of the big clubs clearly cook the books to by pass FFP. And yet worse again, they use money to get away with it, if any legal action happens. 

however, it’s not impossible for small clubs to break through. But only on hard work and merit, and some luck. Leicester, Atalanta, Sassuolo, Lillie, to name a few. That hard work takes time, and the big clubs are hovering ready to pick off the those clubs best players. which they always do.

Football is a good chain and FFP maintains it as a status quo. 

the only thing that has gave this status quo a wobble is Covid.. but that’s just a wobble. 

The solutions are to either scrap it, introduce transfer/salary caps, limit European teams from domestic cups or let them F-off to create a “Super League” which they all have their problems 

With the 'relaxation' of FFP as a result of covid, the big oil clubs have been running amok. It might have maintained the status quo for the last 12 years or whatever since it came in but I fear that without it PSG, City and Chelsea are going to just speed away from the rest. It isn't perfect but without football would be in an even worse mess by now. Having said that a change is needed. What the solution is I haven't a clue but there needs to be some sort of control. Maybe salary caps are the way forward.

Playing as a second striker is completely different role to playing as a No.10 or attacking midfielder. We haven't signed Ings to play as a No.10, if we wanted to buy a No.10 you can be sure we would not have bought Ings for the role, we would have bought someone who actually specializes in that position.

• Like 1