General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Doesn't he go down holding two body parts because he's kicked in two places? :D 

Looks like balls and leg simultaneously to me.

The most egregious decision was the studs up challenge on Ings not being given even as a foul tbh

Arm, knee, ankle - rolls on the floor sort of clutching ankle then knee.  He has no idea what "pain" he's in, poor chap :D 

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Refs have no chance.  I'd love to see retrospective action on feigning of injury but it will never, ever happen.

Agree with what most of you said but for the refs having no chance is down to them.  They have brought the going to ground and rolling around thing on themselves because players have learned it's often an almost guaranteed way to get a foul called and the opponent into trouble.  Refs are giving fouls based on the consequences of an act, rather than the act itself.  So with Cresswell, if the consequence of him getting a swipe round the back of the head was him not going to ground, it's not that bad.  If the consequences were that it felled him (whether genuinely or not) the Pavlovian dog with a whistle would have taken more serious action.   Similarly I'm pretty sure Diaby would have got a pen on Sunday had he gone down after Mykolenko clipped him (although you never know with David Coote who seems to have his own personal levels of ultra-incompetence).  I'm pretty sure Duran wouldn't have got a pen against Sheffield had he stayed on his feet, which he probably could have done.  The game has gone that way because refs have allowed it to.  You can't really blame the players for playing the game that gets the rewards. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Segundo said:

Agree with what most of you said but for the refs having no chance is down to them.  They have brought the going to ground and rolling around thing on themselves because players have learned it's often an almost guaranteed way to get a foul called and the opponent into trouble.  Refs are giving fouls based on the consequences of an act, rather than the act itself.  So with Cresswell, if the consequence of him getting a swipe round the back of the head was him not going to ground, it's not that bad.  If the consequences were that it felled him (whether genuinely or not) the Pavlovian dog with a whistle would have taken more serious action.   Similarly I'm pretty sure Diaby would have got a pen on Sunday had he gone down after Mykolenko clipped him (although you never know with David Coote who seems to have his own personal levels of ultra-incompetence).  I'm pretty sure Duran wouldn't have got a pen against Sheffield had he stayed on his feet, which he probably could have done.  The game has gone that way because refs have allowed it to.  You can't really blame the players for playing the game that gets the rewards. 

I said this a while back. We hate the Salah's, Fernandes, Jota dives, but if it's gonna get them a penalty to win them the game and the Ref's 99% of the time fall for it, who are the mugs, Diaby for staying on his feet maybe?

All part of the "Aggregated marginal gains" as brailsford says.

• Like 1

I've no problem with a player going down 'easy' when they're kicked or tripped, to win a penalty. It's no more 'cheating' than the defender impeding a player, knowing that if they don't go down the ref won't give anything, and that some players are too honest for their own good.

Just another way refs are intent on destroying the game.

Wood just got a yellow card for continuing to go for goal after the ref blew for offside. It was like a split second, an it's not as though he kicked he ball out the stadium, he hit the side netting.

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Wood just got a yellow card for continuing to go for goal after the ref blew for offside. It was like a split second, an it's not as though he kicked he ball out the stadium, he hit the side netting.

Refs are allowed to play on after offsides to 'see where this is going', allowing VAR to pick it up later. Is it any wonder players are confused as to the finality of the referees decisions?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

It didnt affect the result as we were poor, but that was one of the worst refs I’ve seen. Favoured Newcastle for everything, and the linesmen didn’t seem up with the play

it's our first loss with him as the center ref. Brooks has usually been one of the best in the league tbf

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ref was fine but Lino forgetting the protocol and putting up an early flag on Moreno when it was tight was bizarre. 

I thought he was onside too, could easily have been 2-1 😑 The amount of times someone is 5 yards off and they let it play out. Of course we get the lino who puts his flag up early.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

In between his weekly rants at refereeing,Chris Wilder may have came out with one of the quotes of the season

Wilder finished by saying: 'One of his assistants was eating a sandwich at the time, which I thought was a complete lack of respect. Hopefully he enjoyed his sandwich while he was talking to a Premier League manager.' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13029303/Sheffield-United-boss-Chris-Wilder-admits-warned-50-50-decision-against-Crystal-Palace-defeat-fumes-lack-respect-official.html

The dreadful decisions that cost us points before Christmas have had their desired effect. We've lost our confidence, and the top 4 places are now held by the establishment.

Well done referees and VAR, you've maintained the spectacle that the PL is the best in the world to continue the foreign investment.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Wilder seems like a complete prick. I remember before when he was having a rant about "do gooders and lefties"

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, May-Z said:

No idea how Newcastle's 4th goal stands. Clear foul on Barkley. Ref perfectly positioned...don't know how he doesn't give it. 

Literally just came in to post this after watching highlights. 

Absolutely disgraceful refereeing and directly lead to the equaliser. 

5 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Literally just came in to post this after watching highlights. 

Absolutely disgraceful refereeing and directly lead to the equaliser. 

I thought stuff like that was checked by VAR as well to see if the goal was ok. 

I don't know where we're at if something so clear is missed on field and then glossed over and ignored on review....yet our goal against Sheff Utd was ruled out for a pull on the keeper.🤷

Top-tier competitions will be excluded from initial testing in the professional game in case the protocols require further refinement, but elite trials could still begin as soon as the summer.

That may include in the FA Cup and Women’s FA Cup, with the Football Association considering volunteering next season’s competitions for testing.

Â