Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Probably A - Both he and Dean Smith said that he struggled with the tempo and physicallity of the Premier League, then he got injured. Though described as a warrior he is a bit thin and short. He has looked lively in his short cameos, but also a bit weak. Technically and footballing-wise he is probably good enough for a mid table PL-team, physically and mentally the verdict is still out. He is now on his third manager so lets see. My guess is that he on the whole is about as good as what we've seen now, deserves a place on the bench, some cameos and to start a game against weaker teams now and then.

I would have loved to see him in this inverted winger role and see what he could do. Would have been interesting to see him instead of McGinn there, but as we wanted to grind out a result away I can't complain with us playng McGinn there.

Fair points.

He's not actually that short though - he's 5'11"

It might be that he has some sort of transfer payment triggered if he gets to a certain amount of appearances for us? 

Not sure. I just can’t understand how somebody with such a strong reputation when he came here, can just not ever feature for us. 

I kind of want him gone now just so we don’t have to think about this bizarre situation anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

It might be that he has some sort of transfer payment triggered if he gets to a certain amount of appearances for us? 

Not sure. I just can’t understand how somebody with such a strong reputation when he came here, can just not ever feature for us. 

I kind of want him gone now just so we don’t have to think about this bizarre situation anymore.

Because he never had that strong of a reputation, its just some of our fans hyping him up as this big coup. He was a decent to good ligue 1 player but that’s not exactly a real marker of quality. We wouldn’t have gotten him as cheaply as we did if he really rated that highly.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

18 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We wouldn’t have gotten him as cheaply as we did if he really rated that highly.

And also mainly because of the fact that the French league apart from PSG went bust and we’re desperate for money during covid. 

26 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Because he never had that strong of a reputation, its just some of our fans hyping him up as this big coup. He was a decent to good ligue 1 player but that’s not exactly a real marker of quality. We wouldn’t have gotten him as cheaply as we did if he really rated that highly.

He had an excellent reputation and was rated massively by the Marseille fans. The season before he was being chased by Arsenal among others. 

His boss quit over his sale in protest!

We got him "cheap" because the majority of the French league at the time were worse than broke. 

14 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

And also mainly because of the fact that the French league apart from PSG went bust and we’re desperate for money during covid. 

That still makes no sense. If he was that highly rated, surely another club would’ve gone  in for him too and raised his price. You expect me to believe that their owners decided to just sell him to the first bidder at a massive cut price? That other clubs who apparently highly rated him too never considered putting in a higher bid for him? 

I know of this argument but it just doesn’t pass the smell test if you took 2 seconds to think about it.

28 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

That still makes no sense. If he was that highly rated, surely another club would’ve gone  in for him too and raised his price. You expect me to believe that their owners decided to just sell him to the first bidder at a massive cut price? That other clubs who apparently highly rated him too never considered putting in a higher bid for him? 

I know of this argument but it just doesn’t pass the smell test if you took 2 seconds to think about it.

I don’t expect you to believe anything, but to just dismiss the argument that the club were desperate for cash out of hand is also just deliberate ignorance of a factor in why he was so cheap. I mean according to Purslow we were quoted around £30 million in the window before. Transfermarkt (I know it’s not terribly accurate) had him down as being worth €28 million at his highest rated. 

I’m not saying that his club sold him to the first bidder, maybe we were just the club that offered the most money upfront. Maybe it was the best deal for Marseille before their club went bust and they couldn’t afford to wait for an improved bid from another club. The fact of the matter is that we don’t know, yet you insist the fact that we were buying from a club in dire straits financially has nothing to do with the price we paid. I think that anybody who understands how bargaining positions work know that it played a big part. 

Edited by sparrow1988

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

He had an excellent reputation and was rated massively by the Marseille fans. The season before he was being chased by Arsenal among others.

Yeah this, saying he didn't have a reputation is just wrong.

I really don't get the obsession with Sanson on here.

Three managers now and none seem very keen to play him so what's he showing in training?

Hasn't done that much during the minutes he has had in the 1st XI. Sometimes you buy a player and it doesn't work out. Time for him to move on, surely?

If he is as good as some on here seem to believe, he will have no problem finding a new club.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He came on last minute against United was it. I took that as basically the game is secure and this is a symbol you have a chance here.

We never had that luxury yesterday.

Indeed, yesterday Emery brought on protection for Cash, a replacement for Digne, a purely defensive mid and two forwards with pace for the counter threat. Also moved McGinn to the left so a left-footer would covering that flank in front of the LB. Clear how he was setting things up to see out the game. Not the right conditions for a CM short on match fitness.

• Like 1

I've generally thought he's looked tidy when he's played and he's been unlucky with injuries and management.

That said, we are bloated with players who are decent but not great in central midfield. Luiz maybe stepping above that category now which is great to see, but McGinn, Dendonker, Nakamba and Sanson are still in it. 

We may also have young Tim to factor in next season too - adding another body there. 

I am happy with whatever Unai decides in relation to Sanson and indeed the rest of the 'OK' squad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I've generally thought he's looked tidy when he's played and he's been unlucky with injuries and management.

That said, we are bloated with players who are decent but not great in central midfield. Luiz maybe stepping above that category now which is great to see, but McGinn, Dendonker, Nakamba and Sanson are still in it. 

We may also have young Tim to factor in next season too - adding another body there. 

I am happy with whatever Unai decides in relation to Sanson and indeed the rest of the 'OK' squad.

Douglas Luiz is (although I think Kamara will surpass) our best player.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

As much as I agree, you can't dismiss what happens when teams are desperate for cash, we probably would have sold Jack for £10m or less had NSWE not taken over, for example 

Â