Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

12 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Haha, I’ll become a Sanson fan soon as he’s scored more villa goals than big Grant

Jacob Ramsey has scored the same number of PL goals for Man United as big Grant has for the Villa. 

• Haha 2

I can way in here a bit as I'm always hoping for Sanson to get on. It's right in saying he hasn't done anything at Villa. But the thought process is he hasn't had the opportunity. He's shown a few flashes of being a smooth player but that's it.

He was a great player in France and came with big expectations. His manager quit after Sanson was sold from under him. 

It's a little like if Bruno G was bought by Newcastle but then never played.

I'm not saying they're the same standard but Sanson was meant to be a real coup.

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think it's good to see fans of a team get behind a lad that seems to have been having a rough time of things (regardless of whether he's good enough or not). I don't think supporting him needs a huge amount of justification really.

hear hear

no one is saying he's the 2nd coming of iniesta. we're just saying that over the past 12 months he's earned more opportunities than he's received

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with your sentiment, but Hutton is not a legend of Aston Villa

That goal alone makes Hutton a bonafide Aston Villa legend and I will fight any man who disagrees :D

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m surprised to see so many touting the redemption story angle, seems almost quaint or sentimental in modern big money sport, but I love it. Always great to see fans exhibit actual empathy, understanding players are as human and complex as any of us. Seems as supporters we haven’t had the most charitable understanding of our players struggles in the past,  hopefully this understanding/better treatment is afforded to others as consistently.

38 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You score a goal like he did against our bitter neighbour's, then you're a legend in the eyes of many Villa supporters, evidently, not all of them.

He's somewhat of a cult hero, but he's not a legend.

He was a below average right back.

But as seems to be the theme amongst football fans, not being good enough for anyone to want you meaning you stick around for ages makes you a legend, rather than actually being a good player

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But as seems to be the theme amongst football fans, not being good enough for anyone to want you meaning you stick around for ages makes you a legend, rather than actually being a good player

For where we were, and what he subsequently achieved with us (promotion, club record 10 wins etc.), he was an excellent right back thanks very much. 

It's not all about being a PL team of the year player. Football is about emotion, Alan Hutton was responsible for not only one of the most iconic Villa goals for 30 years, he was an integral part of our return to top flight football. He was also a huge fan of the club we all love and still speak extremely highly of his time here, most of which he was treated like shit. 

Sorry for derailing the Morgan *Gorgeous Bast**d* Sanson thread. Back to it. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

For where we were, and what he subsequently achieved with us (promotion, club record 10 wins etc.), he was an excellent right back thanks very much. 

No he wasn't, he was a shit right back for years and gave us a couple of decent seasons in the championship.

No argument about his commitment and his affection for the club. But if I played for Villa that's how I would feel, but I'd stink the place up every week because I'm shit at football.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn't say him sticking around made him a legend, I said the wonderful goal he scored against our bitter rivals would give him legendary status amongst a lot of our supporters. You can be cynical about that all you want, but it is what it is.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No he wasn't, he was a shit right back for years and gave us a couple of decent seasons in the championship.

No argument about his commitment and his affection for the club. But if I played for Villa that's how I would feel, but I'd stink the place up every week because I'm shit at football.

when he came to us he wasn't good enough, when he left he was considered one of the better players but his level didn't change in that time, he still wasn't good enough we just got so much **** worse

as for sanson it seems crazy that we've screamed out for composure on the ball in midfield for so long and this guy who looks our most composed player hasn't got a sniff, even if he's not starting he's perfect for coming on as a sub when we're winning or trying to hold on to a draw slow the game down keep possession make easy passes, emery played him perfectly 

50 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I didn't say him sticking around made him a legend, I said the wonderful goal he scored against our bitter rivals would give him legendary status amongst a lot of our supporters. You can be cynical about that all you want, but it is what it is.

Ok, I'd argue one goal doesn't make you a legend otherwise players like Danny Rose must be considered a Spurs legend.

But each to their own

I don’t think Smith froze Sanson out btw. He generally liked to take his time to integrate new players into the team, and Sanson kept getting injured as that was happening.

The issue with Gerrard was something personal.

What might help with Unai is he’s managed in France before, so assume he speaks a little bit of French, and is more used to handling a squad with players from all over the world. (I think this is one of the reasons foreign coaches have started to dominate the PL - it helps if you’ve travelled about a bit, managed in different leagues, and speak a couple of languages.)

Plus Sanson has a few French speakers around him now in Kamara, Digne, Guilbert,  Konsa (Congolese father), which must help him feel more settled.

Anyway, keen to see what he can do. I don’t think he’s the second coming, but he’s clearly good enough to deserve more game time this season, and he’s a nice composed midfielder with a great engine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think Smith froze Sanson out btw. He generally liked to take his time to integrate new players into the team, and Sanson kept getting injured as that was happening.

The issue with Gerrard was something personal.

What might help with Unai is he’s managed in France before, so assume he speaks a little bit of French, and is more used to handling a squad with players from all over the world. (I think this is one of the reasons foreign coaches have started to dominate the PL - it helps if you’ve travelled about a bit, managed in different leagues, and speak a couple of languages.)

Plus Sanson has a few French speakers around him now in Kamara, Digne, Guilbert,  Konsa (Congolese father), which must help him feel more settled.

Anyway, keen to see what he can do. I don’t think he’s the second coming, but he’s clearly good enough to deserve more game time this season, and he’s a nice composed midfielder with a great engine.

Emery is from the French border so he should be quite fluent in French plus his 2 years in Paris

Â