Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

Just now, Risso said:

I've posted about keto before. At the start of the pandemic in January 2020, I was nearly 18 stone, well 17 st 10lb to be precise. By the end of that summer after following a keto diet and upping my exercise a bit I was down to about 13st 7. I'm 6'1" and quite a big build for reference. I probably looked a bit scrawny at that point. It's pretty well stayed off, and I'm about 14'7" now, which is probably a bit high on the BMI charts, but I feel healthy and am in 34" trousers so is OK for me. I don't stick it to religously now, but if I have a blow out at the weekend, a few days on keto and I'm back to what I consider my healthy weight.

That's crazy weightloss. Congrats! That's awesome.

I'd ignore BMI. Concentrate on the mirror. If you feel good and look healthy then you're all good.

Certainly if you're in 34" trousers you've got nothing to worry about

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Risso said:

I've posted about keto before. At the start of the pandemic in January 2020, I was nearly 18 stone, well 17 st 10lb to be precise. By the end of that summer after following a keto diet and upping my exercise a bit I was down to about 13st 7. I'm 6'1" and quite a big build for reference. I probably looked a bit scrawny at that point. It's pretty well stayed off, and I'm about 14'7" now, which is probably a bit high on the BMI charts, but I feel healthy and am in 34" trousers so is OK for me. I don't stick it to religously now, but if I have a blow out at the weekend, a few days on keto and I'm back to what I consider my healthy weight.

Thats brilliant results mart well done. Sounds like your keto journey went very well. Im trying to do a "healthy keto" so you dont eat shit like the skin of chicken for example as i dont think eating that kind of fat is good for your cholesterol long term. Id probably just mix it up have a bit of mozerella in a salad or halloumi on a fay or two of the week. I mainly use avocados or olive oil as my fats. Sometimes both in a salad with boneless chicken thighs.

Ive done a lot of diets before, like slimming world weight watchers etc and this is by far the best. Before i started i had mild fatty liver and was early stage pre diabetic. The latter kind of scared me so hence why im doing this. Got a blood test in april hopwfully this will help reduce those levels. 

You body is more likely alot healthier now than your previous weight which is really great mate. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's crazy weightloss. Congrats! That's awesome.

I'd ignore BMI. Concentrate on the mirror. If you feel good and look healthy then you're all good.

Certainly if you're in 34" trousers you've got nothing to worry about

Good advice.BMI and weighing yourself regularly is not really good as it can be demotivating. 

Best way to measure yourself is by seeing how tight or loose your clothes are getting. If your gonna weigh yourself do it only once a week at the same time and day. I tend to weigh myself sunday mornings

• Like 1

I started keto in 2019 when I was a 50" waist totin' Jacacmo buying bumder. 3 years later I'm a 38" waist but it's hard. The cheat days start to become closer together but it's very good for food discipline. There are just things I don't touch anymore because they're just terrible to eat but I'll allow myself a few treats. I've cut snacking out of my life completely and rarely drink a beer and when I do it tastes much better. I prefer vodka/coke zero or a dry white/soda combination. The extra energy gives you that extra incentive to exercise, also. The other day I walked back from work to home, it's roughly 5 miles but I managed it without much effort at all. Just stuck the headphones in and yomped. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I started keto in 2019 when I was a 50" waist totin' Jacacmo buying bumder. 3 years later I'm a 38" waist but it's hard. The cheat days start to become closer together but it's very good for food discipline. There are just things I don't touch anymore because they're just terrible to eat but I'll allow myself a few treats. I've cut snacking out of my life completely and rarely drink a beer and when I do it tastes much better. I prefer vodka/coke zero or a dry white/soda combination. The extra energy gives you that extra incentive to exercise, also. The other day I walked back from work to home, it's roughly 5 miles but I managed it without much effort at all. Just stuck the headphones in and yomped. 

What dont you eat anymore that you use to ?

Snacking is the worst as it spikes insulin which is what screws most of us up. That and eating late.  Two worst things we can do.

I have to admit now when i ate that cake i can really taste the sugar as pre keto i didnt. Its really awful the amount of sugar in shit and how you can taste it now after being off sugar for a few months

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

What dont you eat anymore that you use to ?

Snacking is the worst as it spikes insulin which is what screws most of us up. That and eating late.  Two worst things we can do.

I have to admit now when i ate that cake i can really taste the sugar as pre keto i didnt. Its really awful the amount of sugar in shit and how you can taste it now after being off sugar for a few months

If I have a shit week food wise, I can feel the old addiction to carbs/sugar kicking back in, it's weird, and horrible.  I'll have a meal, and then half an hour later be looking in the cupboard for chocolate/bisuits/sweets or whatever.  I've mostly given up beer, but as I've got older I prefer wine anyway. I've found that a couple of glasses of wine doesn't affect my ketosis.

Thanks for this thread by the way guys, it's really interesting and motivational.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

If I have a shit week food wise, I can feel the old addiction to carbs/sugar kicking back in, it's weird, and horrible.  I'll have a meal, and then half an hour later be looking in the cupboard for chocolate/bisuits/sweets or whatever.  I've mostly given up beer, but as I've got older I prefer wine anyway. I've found that a couple of glasses of wine doesn't affect my ketosis.

Thanks for this thread by the way guys, it's really interesting and motivational.

Sugar is drugs its no addictive.  I love a bit of chocolate but obviously ive been off it while doing keto. My con.

cern is if i come off and have a  chocolate the urge will come back for them more regularly. So i will need to be very careful once im back to my ideal weight.

Alot of it is down to insulin resistance it makes us crave carbs and sugar. Our bodies can run on either glucose and sugar or fat. I always use to think running off fat was worse but now i can honestly say its from sugar.

Im ok without bread rice. Potatoes i miss abit but the other two easy for me to give up

In your case giving up beer definitely helps. Ive never really like beer so dont have that issue. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Good advice.BMI and weighing yourself regularly is not really good as it can be demotivating. 

Best way to measure yourself is by seeing how tight or loose your clothes are getting. If your gonna weigh yourself do it only once a week at the same time and day. I tend to weigh myself sunday mornings

My advice is just to be consistent.

If you're tracking how much you actually weigh, then make sure you weigh yourself at the same time every week (preferably first thing in the morning). If you're tracking your BMI then that's fine, but just track the progress and not the category it puts you in.

If you start at 32 then ignore whether that makes you obese, just track that it's moving in the right direction.

The worst thing to do is to track your weight, note that you've lost, say, 2 stone, and then measure your BMI and get told you're "obese" and get demotivated or think what you're doing isn't working.

I'm 6'2" and weigh around 16 stone. But my build is quite big. I don't think anyone would say I was fat (apart from carrying a few christmas pounds at the moment), but my BMI puts me as "obese".

To lose enough weight to put me into the very very top end of "normal", I'd have to lose over 3 stone. I'd look ridiculous :D 

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To lose enough weight to put me into the very very top end of "normal", I'd have to lose over 3 stone. I'd look ridiculous :D 

I shouldn't worry there :P 

sub-buzz-26389-1538678277-15.webp

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I've put on a few winter pounds and want to lose 15lbs quick.

Anyone tried intermittent fasting?

I always try to get 6-10k steps in before I eat breakfast (school run and then crosstrainer) and sometimes skip breakfast altogether on a rest day. I find it works well. You'll need to distract yourself when you first start doing it as you'll be used to eating at certain times. Have a glass of water or go for a walk or something and the hunger usually passes within 20/30 minutes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I always try to get 6-10k steps in before I eat breakfast (school run and then crosstrainer) and sometimes skip breakfast altogether on a rest day. I find it works well. You'll need to distract yourself when you first start doing it as you'll be used to eating at certain times. Have a glass of water or go for a walk or something and the hunger usually passes within 20/30 minutes. 

I've started today. Got up at 7:30. Had a coffee but no food. 9:30 now and getting a few rumbles. 2 hours to go..

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I've started today. Got up at 7:30. Had a coffee but no food. 9:30 now and getting a few rumbles. 2 hours to go..

You'll see some people say that having coffee doesn't count as true IF. 

Ignore them! 

Good luck with it and if you find it enjoyable let me know and I can try and source some good YouTube videos on it. 

Just remember to distract yourself and that it's perfectly okay to be hungry. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

You'll see some people say that having coffee doesn't count as true IF. 

Ignore them! 

Good luck with it and if you find it enjoyable let me know and I can try and source some good YouTube videos on it. 

Just remember to distract yourself and that it's perfectly okay to be hungry. 

Some breaking of that fast with 1-2kcal of coffee!

Edited by fightoffyour

Cutting out pasta is really hard for me. I love it, it's easy. I eat seafood but no land animals so my options are limited somewhat. 

But refined carbohydrates are a weight loss killer. The added cheese doesn't help either. 

I'd love to eat salmon every night but its expensive. 

Edited by maqroll

32 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Cutting out pasta is really hard for me. I love it, it's easy. I eat seafood but no land animals so my options are limited somewhat. 

But refined carbohydrates are a weight loss killer. The added cheese doesn't help either. 

I'd love to eat salmon every night but its expensive. 

Just eat less through the rest of the day and cut down the portions, then a bit of pasta for dinner is no problem. 

46 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Some breaking of that fast with 1-2kcal of coffee!

Depending on the coffee it can actually be a lot more than that. A Latte can be anywhere from 100-200 kcal. However, I think the complaints are more that it's a stimulant. 

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

get yourself on to this -

See the source image

im joking, dont, i think that was my rock bottom for dieting, horrible stuff that even melting cant save

I actually really like their products. Their factory is near here and they've got a wider range. Their 'tasty' is good and kinda like a normal smoked one and their spreadable is great. You're right on the standard one though that it is a weird consistency and perhaps too much fat has been taken out. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Depending on the coffee it can actually be a lot more than that. A Latte can be anywhere from 100-200 kcal. However, I think the complaints are more that it's a stimulant.

A mug of cream with a shot of an espresso added will obviously be more!

I don't intermittent fast well (I'm not trying to) because I usually have to snack late at night or struggle to sleep getting hungry, but I try to put off eating breakfast for a while after waking up. That involves coffee or tea with dash of milk (a few more actual calories there). Not sure I'd be able to do that without a bit of caffeine, and I'm not planning to find out. But with it I can do a workout or go for a morning run, at least when it's warmer out.

I watch what I eat very carefully, but have a cup or three of black coffee daily. Sugar free (beware of fructose and lactose) drink and coffee doesn’t count. 

• Like 2

Â