Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i hear you but these are not really approved on the keto diet.

A dairy milk is around 60p but a protein bar is double that. Thats my point why? Why cant the protein bar be 60p and the dairy milk the more unhealthy thing cost more as its worse for you?

Organic is better for you as doesnt have shit like GMOs and chemicals that can give us health issues.

Why does a more niche product cost more? Probably it’s more expensive to produce and/because it’s made in smaller quantities.

Sure, the dairy milk could be forced to be more expensive by raising the tax on sugar such that it reached a higher minimum price point, but then many people wouldn’t be able to afford a little bit of chocolate or a protein bar. And the protein bars pricing would probably just increase anyway since it’s still supposed to be the premium product.

Without getting into a discussion about the possible harms of fake sugar, is Coke Zero much cheaper than the standard now? I don’t think so. The prices just increase in line with one another.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Yeah basically I'm going to use the bike as much as possible and try and cut out a few things from my diet like snacking mainly. I'm looking to shift a good 3-4 stone before my florida holiday in September so if i lose 2-3lbs a week that's perfectly doable if my maths is correct 

You'll lose a stone in the first month without too much trouble because a lot of that will be water weight. You'll struggle to lose 3 pounds a week after that unless you can significantly reduced your calories to around 1500 a day or less i would say. Either that or spend at least an hour on the bike every day.

Im my experience weight loss is much more about diet than exercise. I went to the gym 3 times a week for years and basically maintained the same weight, it was only once i started eating 1700 calories a day that the weight started to shift,.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Why does a more niche product cost more? Probably it’s more expensive to produce and/because it’s made in smaller quantities.

Sure, the dairy milk could be forced to be more expensive by raising the tax on sugar such that it reached a higher minimum price point, but then many people wouldn’t be able to afford a little bit of chocolate or a protein bar. And the protein bars pricing would probably just increase anyway since it’s still supposed to be the premium product.

Without getting into a discussion about the possible harms of fake sugar, is Coke Zero much cheaper than the standard now? I don’t think so. The prices just increase in line with one another.

The protein bar is the premium product as you say a sit has a lot more to it in terms of macros. It's more difficult to produce and doesn't benefit from larger scale manufacturing like a dairy milk would. 

There are options out there if people want a sweet treat. Things like zero calorie syrups you can add to porridge or something or healthy/protein yoghurts aren't overly expensive. However, I'm not convinced that people need to have a treat every day, especially when trying to lose weight. Have an apple or something instead. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah this stuff is pretty good but the organic is still more pricey.

But look at if your looking at my more low to zero sugar items such as snacks hiw expensive they are in comparison to a sugar biscuit pack. For example custard creams are around the 40p mark. I waa looking at some sugar free diablo biscuits and they were £2!

You don't need to eat organic food to be healthy or lose weight

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

You'll lose a stone in the first month without too much trouble because a lot of that will be water weight. You'll struggle to lose 3 pounds a week after that unless you can significantly reduced your calories to around 1500 a day or less i would say. Either that or spend at least an hour on the bike every day.

Im my experience weight loss is much more about diet than exercise. I went to the gym 3 times a week for years and basically maintained the same weight, it was only once i started eating 1700 calories a day that the weight started to shift,.

This.

It'll drop off you at first. After that 3 pounds a week will be quite hard to maintain. As long as you're averaging a pound a week then you're doing just fine

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

It'll drop off you at first. After that 3 pounds a week will be quite hard to maintain. As long as you're averaging a pound a week then you're doing just fine

Yup. 

But even a pound a week can be difficult at times especially the longer into it and lower your body fat percentage is. Some weeks you'll plateau (especially if you've started aggressively and don't have much room to drop more calories), some weeks you might have put a little muscle on and be doing body recomp. 

Remember it's a marathon and not a sprint. Allowing one week for each pound of fat is sensible as you say. This could be 30 or 40 weeks depending how much you have to lose. 

The one bit that upping the exercise does help with is allowing you more calories to eat each day. I'd be on 2000 a day without exercising but can get that to 2750 most days by doing a few hours of exercise (understand not everyone can). This allows me to eat a lot more and get my macro's in, which helps with sleep and recovery. 

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Yup. 

But even a pound a week can be difficult at times especially the longer into it and lower your body fat percentage is. Some weeks you'll plateau (especially if you've started aggressively and don't have much room to drop more calories), some weeks you might have put a little muscle on and be doing body recomp. 

Remember it's a marathon and not a sprint. Allowing one week for each pound of fat is sensible as you say. This could be 30 or 40 weeks depending how much you have to lose. 

The one bit that upping the exercise does help with is allowing you more calories to eat each day. I'd be on 2000 a day without exercising but can get that to 2750 most days by doing a few hours of exercise (understand not everyone can). This allows me to eat a lot more and get my macro's in, which helps with sleep and recovery. 

Yeah that's why I said average. Some weeks you'll lose nothing, some weeks you'll even put on weight, some weeks you'll lose 3 pounds. You need to concentrate on the trend overtime. As long as it's a downwards trend then you're fine

57 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Probably becaude diet drinks are not good for us either!

But i get your point. I just think if there was more a effort to reduce the cost of healthier meals/alternatives it will be better for the nhs and our health

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Probably becaude diet drinks are not good for us either!

But i get your point. I just think if there was more a effort to reduce the cost of healthier meals/alternatives it will be better for the nhs and our health

I did say without getting into a discussion about fake sugar, but my point there was that (as far as I know) in the UK the legislation on sugar has only forced the price of regular Coke up, not Diet or Zero (unlike in Poland where the sugar tax includes substitutes), and yet the prices of all of them went up together.

It would make more sense for the regular to be the most expensive (again, without debating the effects on health of sugar/fake sugar besides calories), but I imagine the manufacturer doesn’t want that because the disparity in price would just kill off one of (the main one actually) their product lines, exactly as you’re saying it should and would be beneficial to all.

So up all of the prices go, healthy or not.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You dont but as stated doesnt have the crap like GMOs in it

It doesn't. But you still don't need to eat organic food to be healthy. So arguing that it's too expensive to maintain a healthy lifestyle is wrong.

It's expensive to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you only want to eat organic stuff. Sure. But you don't need to do that. You're making it more expensive for yourself.

Just eat normal veg. It's cheap as ****

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It doesn't. But you still don't need to eat organic food to be healthy. So arguing that it's too expensive to maintain a healthy lifestyle is wrong.

It's expensive to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you only want to eat organic stuff. Sure. But you don't need to do that. You're making it more expensive for yourself.

Just eat normal veg. It's cheap as ****

I do eat veg plenty of it. 

But meat wise i prefer organic as its got less chemicials and better for you same with penaut butter etc because it has less to no sugar (which is what causes most health issues) and less crap like GMO pesticides etc

5 days to go with sugar and alcohol free January. Results so far from my Withings scale (yeah I know it's not 100% accurate)..

Down 1.2 stone from 14.1 to 12.9, takes me comfortably within my healthy BMI range of 22. 

Body fat down from 15kgs to 12.4kgs.

Muscle mass up from 49kgs to 57kgs.

I've done an hour powerwalk every day, and gone to the gym 3 times a week.

Vascular age down from 72 to 56 (I'm 61).

The wife and I calculated that I've consumed about 16 pints less than I would in a month, 6 gin and tonics, 4-5 whiskeys and a few bottles of wine. This alone totals around 5-6000 calories, which is about 3 days worth of food.

Energy levels are up, mood levels are up and life's generally better. I do hanker for a good scotch or glass of red wine on a Friday though, which will essentially be what I go back to in Feb.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i hear you but these are not really approved on the keto diet.

A dairy milk is around 60p but a protein bar is double that. Thats my point why? Why cant the protein bar be 60p and the dairy milk the more unhealthy thing cost more as its worse for you?

Organic is better for you as doesnt have shit like GMOs and chemicals that can give us health issues.

Going on Keto you need to suffer a little to beat the sugar cravings. They will go away.

If you eat artificially sweetened stuff you won't beat these cravings, you'll maintain them. You can satisfy them by continuing to eat the sugar free food but it's not like they are zero calories.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

But meat wise i prefer organic as its got less chemicials and better for you same with penaut butter etc because it has less to no sugar (which is what causes most health issues) and less crap like GMO pesticides etc

Demmmm! Hi 👋 I'm glad you mentioned pesticides, I agree. Some research has  shown them as possible contributers to cancer, this is the main reason I buy some organic vegetables and fruit even though they're generally expensive (and why I wash my non-organic vegetables and fruit thoroughly). I don't want to take the risk. If eating and drinking a lot of chemicals can have negative consequences then I want to reduce the amount I have. I hardly ever buy anything GMO as I don't know if that might turn out to be harmful in the long-term.

As for free sugar (added sugar plus natural sugar in fruit juice), yes, unless consumed moderately it really does cause so many health issues, it's almost certainly one of two main reasons why I now have osteoporosis way before my time. Can't remember for sure but I think the UK consumes more added sugar than any other European country. 🤔 Pretty disastrous.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's fine. But it doesn't equate to eating healthy = expensive

It means eating organic food is expensive. The two aren't the same thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Going on Keto you need to suffer a little to beat the sugar cravings. They will go away.

If you eat artificially sweetened stuff you won't beat these cravings, you'll maintain them. You can satisfy them by continuing to eat the sugar free food but it's not like they are zero calories.

Thanks for your advice mr dogg. Im aiming for the sugar free stuff as thats helping deal with the cravings.long term wint be a option but for now as using this and will hopefully ease off them in next few days/weeks!

Yeah meals are really good but not having fruits also abit challenging. I only have a handful of berries 

Im trying to eat as regularly (the snakcing) as i dont want to spike insulin. It helps the intermittent fasting thats for sure.

Id recommend it to anyone for weight loss

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's fine. But it doesn't equate to eating healthy = expensive

It means eating organic food is expensive. The two aren't the same thing.

So since i been eating organic my fatty liver has almost been reversed and back to normal, my blood sugars is significantly lower also. That isnt a coincidence for me.

There is enough evidence to show organic is healthier eating.

Â