Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

47 minutes ago, robby b said:

Demmmm! Hi 👋 I'm glad you mentioned pesticides, I agree. Research has officially shown them as significant contributers to cancer, this is the main reason I buy some organic vegetables and fruit even though they're generally expensive, and why I wash my non-organic vegetables and fruit thoroughly. And I hardly ever buy anything GMO as I don't know how harmful they might turn out to be in the long-term.

As for free sugar (added sugar plus natural sugar in fruit juice), yes, unless consumed moderately it really does cause so many health issues, it's almost certainly one of two main reasons why I now have osteoporosis way before my time. Can't remember for sure but I think the UK consumes more added sugar than any other European country. 🤔Disastrous.

Hey robby! Agree wholeheartedly with this. It took me a while to realise all this. There is a lot of clinical studies that show GMO is very bad for your health 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

5 days to go with sugar and alcohol free January. Results so far from my Withings scale (yeah I know it's not 100% accurate)..

Down 1.2 stone from 14.1 to 12.9, takes me comfortably within my healthy BMI range of 22. 

Body fat down from 15kgs to 12.4kgs.

Muscle mass up from 49kgs to 57kgs.

I've done an hour powerwalk every day, and gone to the gym 3 times a week.

Vascular age down from 72 to 56 (I'm 61).

The wife and I calculated that I've consumed about 16 pints less than I would in a month, 6 gin and tonics, 4-5 whiskeys and a few bottles of wine. This alone totals around 5-6000 calories, which is about 3 days worth of food.

Energy levels are up, mood levels are up and life's generally better. I do hanker for a good scotch or glass of red wine on a Friday though, which will essentially be what I go back to in Feb.

I'm very jealous as i did want to go alcohol free for Jan but decided i wanted to enjoy it instead. I could really do with shifting a stone and i feel like stopping drinking for a month is probably my best chance of doing it.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hey robby! Agree wholeheartedly with this. It took me a while to realise all this. There is a lot of clinical studies that show GMO is very bad for your health 

Whoa! 🧐 I didn't know about GMO clinical studies having already shown that they're bad for people, thank you. I only knew about some pesticide ones. 

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So since i been eating organic my fatty liver has almost been reversed and back to normal, my blood sugars is significantly lower also. That isnt a coincidence for me.

There is enough evidence to show organic is healthier eating.

sigh

you're missing the point. I didn't say organic wasn't healthy :D

Never mind. Carry on

• Like 4

1 hour ago, robby b said:

Whoa! 🧐 I didn't know about GMO clinical studies having already shown that they're bad for people, thank you. I only knew about some pesticide ones. 

We can chat on pm if your interested mate 😃

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's fine. But it doesn't equate to eating healthy = expensive

It means eating organic food is expensive. The two aren't the same thing.

Organic food certainly is expensive. Boo. 🙁 And people really shouldn't be put off eating plenty of vegetables and fruit! I think that eating non-organic fruit and vegetables is healthy (if they're non-GMO, I guess)... apart from the pesticide on them. Or on and in them?! :s I'd like to think that washing the fruit and vegetables gets rid of it but my worry is that some of it might seep into their insides. I don't know, I'm no scientist. I think I'll look into this now...

But a few years ago I spent a few hours reading about pesticides online and I was shocked at several scientists' reports that I read about, which concluded that there may be a possible link to cancer. And I just saw that the WHO have stated that pesticides may lead to cancer, in fact they've decided that glyphosate (still not banned in Europe, used a lot on wheat) is a 'probable human carcinogen'. I'd like to do a little campaigning for less expensive organic food and much less use of potentially harmful pesticides.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, robby b said:

Organic food certainly is expensive. Boo. 🙁 And people really shouldn't be put off eating plenty of vegetables and fruit! I think that eating non-organic fruit and vegetables is healthy (if they're non-GMO, I guess)... apart from the pesticide on them. Or on and in them?! :s I'd like to think that washing the fruit and vegetables gets rid of it but my worry is that some of it might seep into their insides. I don't know, I'm no scientist. I think I'll look into this now...

But a few years ago I spent a few hours reading about pesticides online and I was shocked at several scientists' reports that I read about, especially about one particular pesticide that for some reason (economic?) the EU hadn't banned. I'd like to do a little campaigning for less expensive organic food and much less use of harmful pesticides.

👏👏👏👏

22 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I quite like the idea of the walking treadmill as it's generally low impact and a really easy way to spike your daily low stress cardio which is great for fat loss. I have a cross trainer / bike in my home gym which is great and gets 30-60 minutes a day. However, it does take up a fair bit of space so probably wouldn't work for you.

Have you considered one of those attachments that turns a normal bike into a stationery one?

If you find anything that is collapsible let us know. 

Yeah I did consider those but again it means lugging the bike in from the shed every other day. Low impact cardio is what I really want from the bike tbh.

Having done some research I can go one of three ways:

1. Expensive folding bike - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/folding-connected-exercise-bike-eb-fold/_/R-p-326799

- Seems like it has decent reviews looking around
- Has a 6kg flywheel so better than other lower cost foldable bikes
- Connects to apps if I wanted to use them
- You've got space for an iPad

2. Cheap folding bike - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marcy-Unisexs-Foldable-Compact-Exercise/dp/B0090OKG38/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=marcy+foldable+exercise+bike&qid=1643214811&s=sports&sprefix=marcys+foldab%2Csports%2C90&sr=1-3

- Seems to do everything you need it to
- Good reviews and decent price
- This is really basic for just sitting in front of the telly and pedalling

3. Go all out and recreate a Peloton bike - https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/schwinn-ic8-indoor-cycle-my19.html

- This seems to be just as good as the Pelton bike for a fraction of the the price
- Can sign up to the Peloton app for £12.99 pm rather than the £40 per month one
- It has cadence to link up to the app
- Space for iPad/phone, bottles, weights and two sided pedals with cage or clips
- Obviously will take up a lot more space!

Not sure which one to go for. I am currently minded to go for the cheap one as I will do other exercise so not sure I need to spend the money. Then again would love to use the Peloton app and seems like people actually love it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i hear you but these are not really approved on the keto diet.

A dairy milk is around 60p but a protein bar is double that. Thats my point why? Why cant the protein bar be 60p and the dairy milk the more unhealthy thing cost more as its worse for you?

Organic is better for you as doesnt have shit like GMOs and chemicals that can give us health issues.

Screenshot_20220126-164707_Chrome.jpg.fecc1daf7c824efa5a73ed7b5101a75c.jpg

And this is from the WHO website:

"Pesticides are chemicals used in agriculture to protect crops against insects, fungi, weeds and other pests. In addition to their use in agriculture, pesticides are also used to protect public health in controlling the vectors of tropical diseases, such as mosquitoes.

But pesticides are also potentially toxic to humans. They may induce adverse health effects including cancer, effects on reproduction, immune or nervous systems."

https://www.who.int/news-room/questions-and-answers/item/food-safety-pesticide-residue

Edited by robby b

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yeah I did consider those but again it means lugging the bike in from the shed every other day. Low impact cardio is what I really want from the bike tbh.

Having done some research I can go one of three ways:

1. Expensive folding bike - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/folding-connected-exercise-bike-eb-fold/_/R-p-326799

- Seems like it has decent reviews looking around
- Has a 6kg flywheel so better than other lower cost foldable bikes
- Connects to apps if I wanted to use them
- You've got space for an iPad

2. Cheap folding bike - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marcy-Unisexs-Foldable-Compact-Exercise/dp/B0090OKG38/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=marcy+foldable+exercise+bike&qid=1643214811&s=sports&sprefix=marcys+foldab%2Csports%2C90&sr=1-3

- Seems to do everything you need it to
- Good reviews and decent price
- This is really basic for just sitting in front of the telly and pedalling

3. Go all out and recreate a Peloton bike - https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/schwinn-ic8-indoor-cycle-my19.html

- This seems to be just as good as the Pelton bike for a fraction of the the price
- Can sign up to the Peloton app for £12.99 pm rather than the £40 per month one
- It has cadence to link up to the app
- Space for iPad/phone, bottles, weights and two sided pedals with cage or clips
- Obviously will take up a lot more space!

Not sure which one to go for. I am currently minded to go for the cheap one as I will do other exercise so not sure I need to spend the money. Then again would love to use the Peloton app and seems like people actually love it.

I assume that setting it up in the shed is a no go then? 

Of the first two, if you can afford it I'd get the first. Compared to some of the options around it's not that expensive and as they say 'buy cheap, buy twice'. The one I bought was a tad more expensive then that and whilst it's good, sometimes I do wish I had a better version. 

Whichever one you do buy let us know your thoughts on it when you've had it a while. 

Peleton does sound good but the price puts me off. I also can never hear about it and not think about this video. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I assume that setting it up in the shed is a no go then? 

Of the first two, if you can afford it I'd get the first. Compared to some of the options around it's not that expensive and as they say 'buy cheap, buy twice'. The one I bought was a tad more expensive then that and whilst it's good, sometimes I do wish I had a better version. 

Whichever one you do buy let us know your thoughts on it when you've had it a while. 

Peleton does sound good but the price puts me off. I also can never hear about it and not think about this video. 

Thanks mate - yeah it's got all our storage bits in there as well as the mower/strimmer etc. I've got space in the office upstairs but I didn't want a bike taking up all the space so thought something that can fold up would be better. I think I may go with the first one thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to drop 2.5lbs this week and now down to 13st 1lb so only 1lb off my target weight. 

Really happy with that. 

Expecting a slight rebound next week though as out tonight and going to the football on Tuesday. Will try to be sensible but two nights out in 4 days will be tricky. 

Thinking I might now aim for 12.5 stone as feel it's achievable and will give a cushion for any enviable rebound when I do stop. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ketos the best. Lost a total of 1 stone and 6 pounds. Id highly recommend it for anyone that wants to lose weight 

All my large t shirts are too baggy now and so are alot of my medium trackies. I never thought id ever be able to get back the weight i am currently. Lightest ive been in 10 years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ketos the best. Lost a total of 1 stone and 6 pounds. Id highly recommend it for anyone that wants to lose weight 

All my large t shirts are too baggy now and so are alot of my medium trackies. I never thought id ever be able to get back the weight i am currently. Lightest ive been in 10 years.

have you looked into the composition of the weight loss  ? quite often its just liquid and muscle on these types of diet and the weight gain ( return to original weight)  is quite rapid once you come off them .

When I've tried similar diets over the years I've quite often lost 2 kilos a week , but its too rapid a weight loss and never been sustainable 

In Jan I stopped eating crisps , sweets and biscuits  and I've been going to the gym 4 days a week  , some weight training and rowing and cross trainer ( I've finally learnt my lesson after countless knee ops and painkillers , to give up running  ) ... no cutting out carbs with meals  , i still have Chinese take away and "normal meals " ( if you can call a meal without any veg normal :) )  .. it just means I've stopped eating a packet of biscuits at 11 pm when I'm watching a late night film and eating 3 or 4 bars of chocolate at my desk when I'm working 

4 weeks in and the scales hadn't budged  (some of this  would be due to the weight training and putting on muscle)  , the temptation was to go extreme , something like keto  , but I've stayed on my routine , and now I'm starting to see the benefits as I get into weeks 7 - 8  ..

I lived on a diet of sweets and snacks   for the last 20 odd years I can't expect it to all be resolved in 2 months  ... but I'm hoping as this new regime isn't really a strict regime , it will be an easier lifestyle to follow and stick to 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

have you looked into the composition of the weight loss  ? quite often its just liquid and muscle on these types of diet and the weight gain ( return to original weight)  is quite rapid once you come off them .

When I've tried similar diets over the years I've quite often lost 2 kilos a week , but its too rapid a weight loss and never been sustainable 

In Jan I stopped eating crisps , sweets and biscuits  and I've been going to the gym 4 days a week  , some weight training and rowing and cross trainer ( I've finally learnt my lesson after countless knee ops and painkillers , to give up running  ) ... no cutting out carbs with meals  , i still have Chinese take away and "normal meals " ( if you can call a meal without any veg normal :) )  .. it just means I've stopped eating a packet of biscuits at 11 pm when I'm watching a late night film and eating 3 or 4 bars of chocolate at my desk when I'm working 

4 weeks in and the scales hadn't budged  (some of this  would be due to the weight training and putting on muscle)  , the temptation was to go extreme , something like keto  , but I've stayed on my routine , and now I'm starting to see the benefits as I get into weeks 7 - 8  ..

I lived on a diet of sweets and snacks   for the last 20 odd years I can't expect it to all be resolved in 2 months  ... but I'm hoping as this new regime isn't really a strict regime , it will be an easier lifestyle to follow and stick to 

Good question tone. So i have been trying to do this gradually and not try lose excessive amounts for the reasoning you mentioned. There was a couple weeks i didnt lose or gain which i was happy with as long as i didnt put on. I want to try train my body to be at this weight so it doesnt balloon of i decide to come off. Whats also is key here a few weeks ago i had to break keto as a wedding cake tasting and i ate  alot of cake. Was expecting to put on but i actually lost that week i think because of the intermittent fasting. Im doing 11.30-7.30pm eating window which i think is the maon reason of the weight loss. Im skipping breakfast and juat going straight to lunch.

Im slowly bringing little parts of sugar back in like berries,  low sugar peanut butter. But nothing crazy. Seems this is best way.  I was on a high carb diet before with way too much sugar. I wont be going back to that way of living again. 

Sounds like your doing well tone. Stick with it. Its a journey. This has been since august ive lost so its been a long process but getting to where i want to be. Id recomend you try intermittent fasting. Start simple  like 10-7 or 8pm then gradually make it longer. The first few days are abit shit but when you overcome that you will feel great.

Edited by Demitri_C

I did Keto for 4 weeks about a year ago, the first week is certainly very interesting with the sugar withdrawals.

Its both incredibly hard and easy at the same time. Easy in the sense that you don't really have to watch the calories so as long as you are happy with what you are eating its all good. Its tough in the sense that its very restrictive and you can get bored of meat and cheese very quickly when that's essentially all you are eating.

The energy boost and lack of junk food cravings are a revelation though, waking up in the morning ready to go and without the normal sluggish first hour. Its even hard to get to sleep at times.

If you can do it its definitely worth a try.

Any diet will give you a high amount of weightloss in the first couple of weeks and it will largely be water weight. So I wouldn't worry too much about that, at least at first.

I've posted about keto before. At the start of the pandemic in January 2020, I was nearly 18 stone, well 17 st 10lb to be precise. By the end of that summer after following a keto diet and upping my exercise a bit I was down to about 13st 7. I'm 6'1" and quite a big build for reference. I probably looked a bit scrawny at that point. It's pretty well stayed off, and I'm about 14'7" now, which is probably a bit high on the BMI charts, but I feel healthy and am in 34" trousers so is OK for me. I don't stick it to religously now, but if I have a blow out at the weekend, a few days on keto and I'm back to what I consider my healthy weight.

• Like 3

Â