Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's both.

There must be a physical reason why I am always hungry. 
But mentally I'm able to control that because I know that if I just ate whenever and whatever I wanted then I'd be absolutely massive.

I mean I'm not exactly skinny but I'm not fat. But it takes effort to keep myself at that level.

Some people aren't mentally able to do that.

Or, more importantly imo, they don't know how.

People don't know how they get fat, and they don't know how to lose it. We're not taught

As an example, when my missus was on a diet she would be 100% on that diet, mentally and physically and would lose shed loads of weight.

The only problem was when she decided she wanted to stop, the weight would return. It's portion size and hunger she struggles with. 

3 hours ago, Risso said:

I don't know if you found this Dem, but on the keto diet I rarely if ever feel hungry, and after a few days the normal cravings you get disappear. It's maybe not for everybody, but once I get into it I find it the easiest thing to stick to.

Ill tell you what mart, that is 100% how i feel. Pre keto i really was affected to chocolate i would have quite abit daily.  I thought there is no way keto is going to make these cravings go but bloody hell it has. I might get the odd temptation in the supwrmarket but thats about it. Like you say i dont feel that hungry either which is great.

Keto for me has been best diet ive done without question.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The problem with this is I am always hungry. Literally.

Unless it's the half an hour to an hour after I eat a huge meal (and I mean huge), I am genuinely always hungry

That means you have insulin resistance stevo

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nah. It could mean that, but I don't have that.

Have you done a blood test and measured your blood sugars (HbA1c)? Most people who are always hungry have insulin resistance 

Might be worth looking into

I've not done Keto before , but have cut carbs out my diet before , which seems to be the main gist of Keto ? ... used to find it made me piss all the time  , probably 4 or 5 times in the night so I never got a decent sleep 

have you had that with Keto ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I've not done Keto before , but have cut carbs out my diet before , which seems to be the main gist of Keto ? ... used to find it made me piss all the time  , probably 4 or 5 times in the night so I never got a decent sleep 

have you had that with Keto ? 

Its not just cutting carbs, its having zero sugar. The theory  is you have to eat fat, so along with your vegtables and protein your body burns fat instead of glucose/sugar.

It's crazy as when i was reading up on it i was like how the feck can you lose weight eating fat? But it bloody works of you stick to it and do it properly with intermittent fasting. Have a look on my social media big tone and look at what a slob i looked 

Also with the piss thing, no i havent had that to be honest. @Risso have you had that?

Edited by Demitri_C

Not sure about pissing in the night but I do piss around 5/6 times a day. 

I eat one keto meal at 5.30pm each day. The rest is coffee/water. I have no desire to snack nor do I feel hungry.

Spoiler

Keto also gives you (gave me anyway) rock hard stiffies and a desire to the roger the missus more often than not.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Have you done a blood test and measured your blood sugars (HbA1c)? Most people who are always hungry have insulin resistance 

Might be worth looking into

I’ve had my blood sugars tested and they were fine

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Fat doesn’t make you fat

Yep thats why keto works. Didnt realise this before reseraching and trialling keto. Its a absolute myth. If you have the chouce of eating sugar or fat, fats better. As long as you eat your veggies too

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve had my blood sugars tested and they were fine

Thats good. You had a liver function test?

11 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Your body needs both sugar and fat.

Not really. I mean you could run that way but sugar is terrible for you. Its so bad for us. Not just that but milk, bread etc is also not good for us

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not really. I mean you could run that way but sugar is terrible for you. Its so bad for us. Not just that but milk, bread etc is also not good for us

This is, I’m sorry, laughably simplistic and unnuanced. You literally need sugar, and both milk and bread contain essential nutriants. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, El Zen said:

This is, I’m sorry, laughably simplistic and unnuanced. You literally need sugar, and both milk and bread contain essential nutriants. 

This is where we differ, when i was eating that stuff i had fatty liver, high sugar (pre diabetic) and high ferritin levels. Now all my levels are back to healty levels and my liver is no longer needed.

You can get all your nutrients from eating lots of veggies. You dont need sugar, its not good for you. Gives us so many health problems. If your going to have milk your better off having coconut, almond or oat milk. As for bread well i dont need to tell you its not really good for our bodies

Edited by Demitri_C

You’re talking about having too much sugar, milk and bread. That is not the same thing. 

A healthy diet can easily contain some sugar, milk and bread. To suggest otherwise is just plainly absurd and potentially harmful.

And you really need to remember that sugar comes in many, many forms. It’s still sugar.

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep thats why keto works. Didnt realise this before reseraching and trialling keto. Its a absolute myth. If you have the chouce of eating sugar or fat, fats better. As long as you eat your veggies too

You need both.

You can eat whatever you want as long as you eat less calories than you burn (in terms of weight loss). You could eat nothing but sugar, as long as your calories are low then you'll lose weight. It wouldn't be very healthy but you'd lose weight. SImilarly you could never touch a gram of sugar in your life, but if you're eating 3000 calories a day you'll pile on the pounds. Obviously the ideal solution is to have a healthy, balanced, calorie controlled diet.

The point is, cutting out sugar isn't enough. It would certainly help, because sugar is incredibly high in calories, but you still need to be eating less calories than you burn. That is literally the most important part of any diet. If the calories aren't low enough, you won't lose weight

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You need both.

You can eat whatever you want as long as you eat less calories than you burn (in terms of weight loss). You could eat nothing but sugar, as long as your calories are low then you'll lose weight. It wouldn't be very healthy but you'd lose weight. SImilarly you could never touch a gram of sugar in your life, but if you're eating 3000 calories a day you'll pile on the pounds. Obviously the ideal solution is to have a healthy, balanced, calorie controlled diet.

The point is, cutting out sugar isn't enough. It would certainly help, because sugar is incredibly high in calories, but you still need to be eating less calories than you burn. That is literally the most important part of any diet. If the calories aren't low enough, you won't lose weight

I dont think you need them both personally. Alot of people on keto dont eat sugar and live ok. Im not saying you cant run off fat and sugar all im saying is having a diet on high sugar is really bad for us. Its shit but that's the way it is.

I can only speak on my own experience but since giving up sugar its really made me healthier and lose weight more. Ive done slimming world, weight watchers, shake diet (the absolute worst i would not recommend that to anyone) but bar far in terms of how you feel, and being healthy keto is by far the best

I can almost guarantee you are still eating sugar in some form or another, Dem. 

Eating lots of sugar is obviously bad for you. I also eat a lot less sugar than most people around me, and would typically try to educate people on the dangers of eating too much sugar. 

But I also want to educate people on the pointlessness, and potential harm, in talking about food, nutrition and diets in terms of absolutes. 

Sugar in and of itself isn’t dangerous. It’s a valuable source of energy that our brain and body needs. It’s why we crave it. You’ll find sugar naturally occurring in a wide range of food. It’s okay and good to eat some of that food.

Too much sugar, which is a problem in most of Western society, can be very, very dangerous indeed. But that doesn’t mean healthy = zero sugar. That is just completely false.

Edited by El Zen

Â