Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done keto before?

My liver function tests came back high again and i think i have fatty liver (via diet not drink as i rarely drink).been reading  a lot that bizarrely keto is good at reversing fatty liver so am gonna give it a shot.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and how did they get on?

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My liver function tests came back high again and i think i have fatty liver (via diet not drink as i rarely drink).been reading  a lot that bizarrely keto is good at reversing fatty liver so am gonna give it a shot.

Michael Moseley was talking keto and its benefits a short time back on the radio and that was a benefit he mentioned, but caveats apply, he always seems decent but he is also selling a book. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Michael Moseley was talking keto and its benefits a short time back on the radio and that was a benefit he mentioned, but caveats apply, he always seems decent but he is also seeing a book. 

Yeah been doing a lot of research as the theory behind it is you have fatty liver because you have insulin resistance caused by high amounts of sugar/carbs. Therefore stopping or absolutely minimising carbs/sugar reverses fatty sugar. Your body runs on the fat in the keto plan.

Im going to do it along with initimimtent fasting. 

The crazy thing about fatty liver is i feel absolutely fine no synptoms nothing. Most people dont realise they have it until its too late, so quite fortunate i got a blood test out in Cyprus that tests you for everything that highlighted the abnormality 

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes, it works, same as all diets you have to put a lot of work in both with the food and then also exercise on the side and eating habit changes

I ate a lot of meat and it was very expensive, rather than chicken with veg and pasta I took the pasta out and ate double chicken 

Edit - intermittent fasting worked easy for me because I don't eat breakfast, there was a guy in my office who was doing it but loved breakfast so much that he wouldn't then eat an evening meal, I couldn't do that 

Told myself a lot of rules with regards to sugar, exercised on the night at 6pm, then played football at 7pm a couple of times a week (also exercised at 6am...) so I had a rule that I wouldn't eat sweets because the evening exercise would just burn that sugar and not fat, then after the exercise usually my fasting period had started and it was too late, with where I am now I've convinced myself that if I'm going for a walk at say 1pm at the weekend I won't eat sugar before it I'll only eat sugar after it, during the heavy exercise days, fasting and keto that meant I had barely any time for sugar, it wasn't that I didn't want it it's that the rules made it not fit in 

The evening exercise meant that I skipped a lot of meals too, 2 times a week I had gym 6am, work all day, gym 6pm, football so the only thing I ate was a big meal at work at around 1pm which would have been scrambled egg with 2 chicken breasts then maybe a shake during the day or a protein snack pack of some description 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yes, it works, same as all diets you have to put a lot of work in both with the food and then also exercise on the side and eating habit changes

I ate a lot of meat and it was very expensive, rather than chicken with veg and pasta I took the pasta out and ate double chicken 

Edit - intermittent fasting worked easy for me because I don't eat breakfast, there was a guy in my office who was doing it but loved breakfast so much that he wouldn't then eat an evening meal, I couldn't do that 

Told myself a lot of rules with regards to sugar, exercised on the night at 6pm, then played football at 7pm a couple of times a week (also exercised at 6am...) so I had a rule that I wouldn't eat sweets because the evening exercise would just burn that sugar and not fat, then after the exercise usually my fasting period had started and it was too late, with where I am now I've convinced myself that if I'm going for a walk at say 1pm at the weekend I won't eat sugar before it I'll only eat sugar after it, during the heavy exercise days, fasting and keto that meant I had barely any time for sugar, it wasn't that I didn't want it it's that the rules made it not fit in 

The evening exercise meant that I skipped a lot of meals too, 2 times a week I had gym 6am, work all day, gym 6pm, football so the only thing I ate was a big meal at work at around 1pm which would have been scrambled egg with 2 chicken breasts then maybe a shake during the day or a protein snack pack of some description 

Thanks for your detailed response thats helpful.

I started the fasting nefore so i can get use to the time without food before i do start the keto. Look you im not a big fan of breakfast its a waste of calories and food.

Ive been doing fasting from 16 hour fast.  Start wating at 11am and stop around 7pm. Im use to this now so that dont bother me.

Just need to make sure i do this properly as you can get high cholesterol,  keto flu as well as other things. I heard you feel amazing after a few weeks and you lose a lot of weight.  Need to lose around 10 pounds by September 

How much do you weigh now? 

I'm 6ft and 70kg, started last year at 74kg so not far off 10lbs last year at that was not really trying to lose weight, I didn't diet I just followed some simple stuff and ate well, the main reason I lost weight was I went back to office after the lockdown meaning that I was walking more and I started playing football again once a week

Taking up exercise again was enough for that kind of weight loss for me rather than having to go to an extreme like keto 

I walk home when I'm in the office which is a 5km walk 3 or 4 times a week, maybe 2km walk there + metro then walk home, I'd say that's the biggest thing keeping the weight off me for now 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

How much do you weigh now? 

I'm 6ft and 70kg, started last year at 74kg so not far off 10lbs last year at that was not really trying to lose weight, I didn't diet I just followed some simple stuff and ate well, the main reason I lost weight was I went back to office after the lockdown meaning that I was walking more and I started playing football again once a week

Taking up exercise again was enough for that kind of weight loss for me rather than having to go to an extreme like keto 

I walk home when I'm in the office which is a 5km walk 3 or 4 times a week, maybe 2km walk there + metro then walk home, I'd say that's the biggest thing keeping the weight off me for now 

Thats exactly where i am at mate! Im just under 74kg and want to get to 70kg.

Diets work if be patient and stick to them.i was really over weight about 9 months ago the heaviest ive been. I lost about 9 pounds when i did the strict diet from end of july. Luckily im about the same now but still need to lose 9 pounds further.

Your success story is great mate. Well done. Bet you feel great.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats exactly where i am at mate! Im just under 74kg and want to get to 70kg.

Diets work if be patient and stick to them.i was really over weight about 9 months ago the heaviest ive been. I lost about 9 pounds when i did the strict diet from end of july. Luckily im about the same now but still need to lose 9 pounds further.

Your success story is great mate. Well done. Bet you feel great.

Yeah I had to buy new clothes which kind of made it special even if that also cost a fortune 😂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2022 at 17:12, villa4europe said:

Yeah I had to buy new clothes which kind of made it special even if that also cost a fortune 😂 

Just to update.  So been doing keto last two weeks and ive lost 4 pounds already. Been doing it with intermittent fasting. My window is around 11.30-7.30 pm so about a 16 hour fast. Its actually not been too bad as i thought.

I have had literally very little sugar and man i feel so much more fresher. Sugar is absolute poison and its a scandal they are not doing more to decrease the amount of sugar in people's diets

• Like 1

I'm fine with everything, weight for my height, but recently i had a blood test and I have borderline high cholesterol. I have been less active lately, and whilst my weight is ok (6'3 / 190cm - 85kg) my diet isn't the best.

Getting back to daily exercise, and a better diet should bring it back to normal range I guess.

Anyone else had this?

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's why I liked keto and fasting, I think it did better at ingraining the common sense and normalising it, of course I knew not to eat tons of sugar or a McDonald's at 11pm but I still did before 

It forced me to have that control 

One issue is i had my gallbladder out in my mid twenties (had gallstones and doctor lied to me telling me gallbladder does nothing which is a complete lie) so i have to take a gallbladder formula  on keto to help break down the fats im eating. 

But so far feeling good just trying to eat the right kind of fats so my cholesterol doesnt go through the roof

I need to buy a treadmill or exercise bike. I play football once a week but struggling to get out to the gym in the evenings and working from home means I never go at lunch. Space is an issue so the equipment will be in our open plan living area. Ideally I want something that folds away - so something like a peloton bike is probably a no go. Anyone done anything similar recently?

36 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I need to buy a treadmill or exercise bike. I play football once a week but struggling to get out to the gym in the evenings and working from home means I never go at lunch. Space is an issue so the equipment will be in our open plan living area. Ideally I want something that folds away - so something like a peloton bike is probably a no go. Anyone done anything similar recently?

You can buy walking treadmills that fold up. Never tried one but a previous colleague loved theirs and used to do walking meetings on it. 

Weighed myself for the first time in about 10 weeks and just before a chest infection and injury stopped me exercising. That period also includes Christmas where my diet fell apart. Somehow I've actually lost a kilo. I think that's mostly muscle though as the belly is definitely bigger than it was. 

Â