Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

You can buy walking treadmills that fold up. Never tried one but a previous colleague loved theirs and used to do walking meetings on it. 

I am fairly active and relatively fit so would want something that I can actually run on (anything in the 12 km/h mark is fine) or a bike I can ride on for between 30 mins and 1 hr at a time. I think I may have to go down the bike route but bit of a minefield.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I am fairly active and relatively fit so would want something that I can actually run on (anything in the 12 km/h mark is fine) or a bike I can ride on for between 30 mins and 1 hr at a time. I think I may have to go down the bike route but bit of a minefield.

I quite like the idea of the walking treadmill as it's generally low impact and a really easy way to spike your daily low stress cardio which is great for fat loss. I have a cross trainer / bike in my home gym which is great and gets 30-60 minutes a day. However, it does take up a fair bit of space so probably wouldn't work for you.

Have you considered one of those attachments that turns a normal bike into a stationery one?

If you find anything that is collapsible let us know. 

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yeah if you have a bike you could just buy a Turbo Trainer. I've got a wahoo Kickr that links to an app for speed distance calories etc. I tend to use it in the winter, as I do cycle quite alot but I'm a fair weather cyclist. 😂

I've also got a bracket that connects to my bike to hold my tablet, so I can watch a movie or sports while I'm exercising, as we all know it can be boring cycling to nowhere.

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

peloton arrived today. hoping it's the answer because i really need to shift this timber.

I’m pretty sure the theory that “it cost a fortune so I’ll definitely use it” has been debunked many times.

Good luck though.

I still have a few more beers to finish before I hit the diet. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’m pretty sure the theory that “it cost a fortune so I’ll definitely use it” has been debunked many times.

Good luck though.

I still have a few more beers to finish before I hit the diet. 

using it isn't the worry to be honest. i'm confident i'll stick at it

the diet is another story however. i just love food too much

22 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

How much are you looking to lose? as long as you can keep your eating to a level where you are taking in no more than your maintenance calories then as long as you are willing to put a decent effort in with the exercise you could lose a couple of pounds a week.

I like my food as well and have a stone I want to shift by mid March. I've decided the best way for me is to do that is to run 6 mile a day so burn around 5000 cals over the week and get the other 2000 cals from dieting over the week. It means I don't have to deprive myself too much on the eating side.

You need to do what is best for you. If you can happily bang out the exercising and diet then great. If you struggle with one or the other then don't beat yourself up just drill down on the one you can do. 

26 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Eat around the peloton classes, use them to create rules and then be sensible, do a afternoon class to reduce the size of your lunch, do a 10am class and don't eat before and that way you've taken breakfast out and reduced it to 2 meals a day, don't eat sugar before going on it and don't do it until 6pm on the night that way you won't eat sugar all day, or if you do eat before the bike you'll reduce your portions and eat lighter stuff, you can't fit a sandwich in because it'll mess you up but you can eat a banana or a pepper or something like that and do the class no problem 

Pick the meal that you have the most trouble with and base your peloton times to mess it up, if your problem is that mid afternoon you like a chocolate bar and a bag of crisps do a 5pm class and tell yourself that the chocolate and crisps will ruin it 

It plays with your head but at the same time it makes sense 

• Thanks 1

Trying to eat healthy is a absolute scam. It costs SO much more money. Went to a organic shop on weekend ro grab some low/zero sugar foods and cost so much money

Convinced they want us to be overweight and unhealthy 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Trying to eat healthy is a absolute scam. It costs SO much more money. Went to a organic shop on weekend ro grab some low/zero sugar foods and cost so much money

What do you mean by low/zero sugar foods? Can you give examples

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why do you need to eat expensive organic food to eat healthy? 

Just now, El Zen said:

You don't but the point is right, healthy food is generally more expensive especially if you're comparing it to the frozen food aisle or pretty much all of Iceland / farm foods 

I'd say being poor and not knowing how to cook is a huge hindrance 

But I'd also say that everyone should learn how to cook, it's not hard and it's fun 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

You don't but the point is right, healthy food is generally more expensive especially if you're comparing it to the frozen food aisle or pretty much all of Iceland / farm foods 

I'd say being poor and not knowing how to cook is a huge hindrance 

But I'd also say that everyone should learn how to cook, it's not hard and it's fun 

Yeah, sure, crap food is too accessible and often the cheapest/easiest option. Obesity and socio-economic variables probably correlate. 

But that doesn’t mean you can’t eat healthy on a sensible budget. For starters, you don’t need to eat organic food to lose weight. It makes no difference.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

How much are you looking to lose? as long as you can keep your eating to a level where you are taking in no more than your maintenance calories then as long as you are willing to put a decent effort in with the exercise you could lose a couple of pounds a week.

I like my food as well and have a stone I want to shift by mid March. I've decided the best way for me is to do that is to run 6 mile a day so burn around 5000 cals over the week and get the other 2000 cals from dieting over the week. It means I don't have to deprive myself too much on the eating side.

You need to do what is best for you. If you can happily bang out the exercising and diet then great. If you struggle with one or the other then don't beat yourself up just drill down on the one you can do. 

Yeah basically I'm going to use the bike as much as possible and try and cut out a few things from my diet like snacking mainly. I'm looking to shift a good 3-4 stone before my florida holiday in September so if i lose 2-3lbs a week that's perfectly doable if my maths is correct 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Zen said:

It doesnt hide the point at why organic food is a lot more expensive?

Also when you go tesco morrisons or which ever supermarket why is alaays the junk food always on offer and not the healthier  food?

If eating healtier was cheaper i bet more people wouldnt have obesity,  insulin resistance and othe health issues. Make eating healthier cheaper and i bet we see less people having issues due to their diets

Vegetables are healthy food and aren't expensive, especially if you buy the irregular ones. Stock up on mushrooms, carrots, onions and the like. They're low sugar, low calorie and filling. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Vegetables are healthy food and aren't expensive, especially if you buy the irregular ones. Stock up on mushrooms, carrots, onions and the like. They're low sugar, low calorie and filling. 

Yeah this stuff is pretty good but the organic is still more pricey.

But look at if your looking at my more low to zero sugar items such as snacks hiw expensive they are in comparison to a sugar biscuit pack. For example custard creams are around the 40p mark. I waa looking at some sugar free diablo biscuits and they were £2!

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah this stuff is pretty good but the organic is still more pricey.

But look at if your looking at my more low to zero sugar items such as snacks hiw expensive they are in comparison to a sugar biscuit pack. For example custard creams are around the 40p mark. I waa looking at some sugar free diablo biscuits and they were £2!

Then don't buy organic. Is it better for you? Yes. Is it necessary for healthy eating? No. 

If you're desperate for a sweet treat snack then try going somewhere like B&M to buy some protein bars. I really like the Scismx range and they're about £1 each. Sounds a lot but it's basically what a chocolate bar costs. It also gives about 15g of protein and less than 1g of sugar (try to ignore all the artificial sweeteners that'll be rotting your insides). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Then don't buy organic. Is it better for you? Yes. Is it necessary for healthy eating? No. 

If you're desperate for a sweet treat snack then try going somewhere like B&M to buy some protein bars. I really like the Scismx range and they're about £1 each. Sounds a lot but it's basically what a chocolate bar costs. It also gives about 15g of protein and less than 1g of sugar (try to ignore all the artificial sweeteners that'll be rotting your insides). 

Yeah i hear you but these are not really approved on the keto diet.

A dairy milk is around 60p but a protein bar is double that. Thats my point why? Why cant the protein bar be 60p and the dairy milk the more unhealthy thing cost more as its worse for you?

Organic is better for you as doesnt have shit like GMOs and chemicals that can give us health issues.

Â