Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

A mug of cream with a shot of an espresso added will obviously be more!

I don't intermittent fast well (I'm not trying to) because I usually have to snack late at night or struggle to sleep getting hungry, but I try to put off eating breakfast for a while after waking up. That involves coffee or tea with dash of milk (a few more actual calories there). Not sure I'd be able to do that without a bit of caffeine, and I'm not planning to find out. But with it I can do a workout or go for a morning run, at least when it's warmer out.

I completely agree with having coffee. Essential to even be awake let alone do some exercise while fasting. I have about 2 a day but have switched milk out for almond milk. 

• Like 1

When you eat really isn’t that important. What and how much is all that really matters.

Skipping breakfast mostly just helps keep your cals total for the day down (I am aware there are theories that say there is added weight loss benefits to skipping breakfast specifically, but the cals saved is more important regardless.) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don't really get it. I do it naturally most days as I don’t eat breakfast. So I could easily not eat from 20:30-14:00. I still put on weight 

It still largely comes down to calories in vs calories out. Intermittent fasting just helps keep the calories in down. It does supposedly offer some other benefits.

• Like 1

Just now, El Zen said:

When you eat really isn’t that important. What and how much is all that really matters.

Skipping breakfast mostly just helps keep your cals total for the day down (I am aware there are theories that say there is added weight loss benefits to skipping breakfast specifically, but the cals saved is more important regardless.) 

Beat me to it by seconds pffftttt. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, maqroll said:

I've put on a few winter pounds and want to lose 15lbs quick.

Anyone tried intermittent fasting?

Yea ive been doing it for a few months and it works. Ive lost 2 stone through that and keto. Also has a hell of a lot of health benefits.  My advice would be start easy. Do a window of 10am-8pm of  eating.  Then eventually start increasing that from like either 11am -8pm or 10am-7pm. I currently do 11.30-7.30pm window and this works for me without being starving. But you need to stick with every day. You cant just do 4 days a week and 3 fays you dont. You have to do it every day to see results 

First few days are hard but once you overcome it you will be great

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don't really get it. I do it naturally most days as I don’t eat breakfast. So I could easily not eat from 20:30-14:00. I still put on weight 

You probably either have too much sugar in your diet, on a high carb diet or both then mate

I don't know if you found this Dem, but on the keto diet I rarely if ever feel hungry, and after a few days the normal cravings you get disappear. It's maybe not for everybody, but once I get into it I find it the easiest thing to stick to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Risso said:

I don't know if you found this Dem, but on the keto diet I rarely if ever feel hungry, and after a few days the normal cravings you get disappear. It's maybe not for everybody, but once I get into it I find it the easiest thing to stick to.

Protein and fibre fills you up and helps ease hunger. I still eat carbs as see them as essential fuel although I try to keep this relatively low (200-250g a day) but eat a lot of protein (nearly 300g a day) and I rarely get hungry despite being in a large calorie deficit and doing a lot of exercise. 

On 09/03/2022 at 12:47, maqroll said:

I've put on a few winter pounds and want to lose 15lbs quick.

Anyone tried intermittent fasting?

It works. But you still need to calorie control.

Don't think that having a small feeding window means you can eat whatever you want :) 

17 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

This

vvvvv

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Don't think that having a small feeding window means you can eat whatever you want :) 

9 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Simplified I know but I just eat when I'm hungry, sometimes there are greens and sometimes there are chips. More often than not there is meat

The problem with this is I am always hungry. Literally.

Unless it's the half an hour to an hour after I eat a huge meal (and I mean huge), I am genuinely always hungry

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, El Zen said:

It's not just calories in/out though. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that fasting works because it allows your insulin leveles to get really low,  When you're insulin levels are low, your body uses its stored fat as energy. Keto is based on a similar premise in that if your body isn't getting carbs, it's can't store them as fat, so has to burn fat for energy. So if you have say, 1,500 calories a day, IF says you'll lose more weight if you confine those to a restricted  time range, rather than consuming them over the course of 18 hours. I do intermittent fasting sort of by default, as on keto I'm never hungry enough for breakfast, so I tend to eat between midday and 6pm.

Edited by Risso

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

It's not just calories in/out though. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that fasting works because it allows your insulin leveles to get really low,  When you're insulin levels are low, your body uses its stored fat as energy. Keto is based on a similar premise in that if your body isn't getting carbs, it's can't store them as fat, so has to burn fat for energy. So if you have say, 1,500 calories a day, IF says you'll lose more weight if you confine those to a restricted  time range, rather than consuming them over the course of 18 hours. I do intermittent fasting sort of by default, as on keto I'm never hungry enough for breakfast, so I tend to eat between midday and 6pm.

That's true but @El Zen's point is you can't just do a keto diet or fasting and then eat 3000 calories a day in your feeding window anyway.

Doesn't matter if it's keto, or IF or Atkins or whatever. If you eat too many calories you won't lose weight

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The problem with this is I am always hungry. Literally.

Unless it's the half an hour to an hour after I eat a huge meal (and I mean huge), I am genuinely always hungry

I've never really had that problem. I'm no stick insect by any means but I've never had that special relationship with food. 

I do think it's a mental issue and not a physical one, but that is just my opinion as I know people do struggle with it

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I've never really had that problem. I'm no stick insect by any means but I've never had that special relationship with food. 

I do think it's a mental issue and not a physical one, but that is just my opinion as I know people do struggle with it

It's both.

There must be a physical reason why I am always hungry. 
But mentally I'm able to control that because I know that if I just ate whenever and whatever I wanted then I'd be absolutely massive.

I mean I'm not exactly skinny but I'm not fat. But it takes effort to keep myself at that level.

Some people aren't mentally able to do that.

Or, more importantly imo, they don't know how.

People don't know how they get fat, and they don't know how to lose it. We're not taught

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Other than pasta, I eat pretty healthy. 

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Other than pasta, I eat pretty healthy. 

"healthy" doesn't mean low calorie.

You could exclusively eat mcdonalds and taco bell, if you're eating below your calorie maintenance you'd lose weight.

Similarly you could eat salad for every meal, if there's enough calories in it you'll put on weight.

That doesn't mean you're wrong to eat healthy, of course. It just means that if you're struggling to lose weight, then it might be worth tracking your calories for a few days to understand how many you're eating and where they come from.

You'd be surprised.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"healthy" doesn't mean low calorie.

You could exclusively eat mcdonalds and taco bell, if you're eating below your calorie maintenance you'd lose weight.

Similarly you could eat salad for every meal, if there's enough calories in it you'll put on weight.

That doesn't mean you're wrong to eat healthy, of course. It just means that if you're struggling to lose weight, then it might be worth tracking your calories for a few days to understand how many you're eating and where they come from.

You'd be surprised.

I'm coming in around 2000 a day so far which is 500 fewer than recommended.

It's easy for me to lose weight, I've just never tried fasting. 

• Like 1

Â