Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If you don't eat sugar then your body gets it from other sources. You still need it.

I agree a high sugar diet is terrible.

All I'm saying is telling people to completely cut out sugar isn't enough. You can easily eat zero sugar and still have an incredibly unhealthy diet

Oh you absolutely can if you dont know what your doing. I mean for example on keto there is two types of keto dirty keto and healthy keto.  Thats what ive been doing and can honestly say feels great. 

I also wanted to tiuch on your point about the "protein labels" i agree with you on this point. Ive seen "protein" labelled in bold writing on products but when you actually look at the packaging in more detail its got so much crap in it. Like soy, gmo,  added  salt, high sugar etc people need to be wary of that

4 hours ago, El Zen said:

What’s the harm in getting some of that energy from sugar?

You're changing your tack entirely now. I didn't say there was anything wrog with eating them, I just find that if I cut them out I lose weight and feel healthier. You said they were essential, or words to that effect, so I'm asking what other nutritional benefit sugars bring.

58 minutes ago, Risso said:

You're changing your tack entirely now. I didn't say there was anything wrog with eating them, I just find that if I cut them out I lose weight and feel healthier. You said they were essential, or words to that effect, so I'm asking what other nutritional benefit sugars bring.

Energy. I said sugar has stuff your body needs. Which it does. 

I too eat very little added sugar. But cutting sugar completely is both impossible and pointless. Sugars are a perfectly safe source of energy in moderate amounts, and treating sugar as if it’s haram is making food more complicated than what is good for us. 

59 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I too eat very little added sugar. But cutting sugar completely is both impossible and pointless. Sugars are a perfectly safe source of energy in moderate amounts, and treating sugar as if it’s haram is making food more complicated than what is good for us. 

But you said "You literally need sugar".

You literally don't.

I do agree that a reasonable amount of sugar isn't a problem in a balanced diet. But you don't need it, at all, it's not a vitamin or an essential protein, it's just a source of energy, of which there are many others.

36 minutes ago, Risso said:

But you said "You literally need sugar".

You literally don't.

I do agree that a reasonable amount of sugar isn't a problem in a balanced diet. But you don't need it, at all, it's not a vitamin or an essential protein, it's just a source of energy, of which there are many others.

Well, you literally do. Glucose is sugar. And you literally need it.

My only concern is really to say that nutriants like sugar, fat whatever and so on - none of them are inherently bad for you. They all contain valuable resources your body needs to function. I wholeheartedly agree that we should limit our intake of sugar and sugar rich foods and drinks (added or otherwise) and that limiting your intake of carb heavy foods like bread and pasta is a good idea if you want to keep your weight down and you don’t burn an unusual amount of energy per day.

But I hate trends that tell people they can’t eat any of this or any of that if they want to lose weight. You can eat some of this and some of that, and maintain a perfectly healthy diet, and lose weight. I lost lots and lots of weight very fast while still having a bit of spaghetti every now and then - I just didn’t eat a giant megabowl of it. And then have seconds. I had a moderate amount that allowed me to stay under my daily calorie budget.

Eating well doesn’t have to be  religiously dogmatic. Perfectly safe nutriants shouldn’t be described as ‘toxins’ and treated like they’re like arsenic for your body. Sugar is energy. Energy is good. You will die without it. Too much energy is bad. Too much sugar is bad. 

Edited by El Zen

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Its not impossible. A lot of people do it and live healthy lives. 

No one is disputing the 'moderate amounts' but what is a moderate amount? Most people eat more than the recommended 30g of sugar a day.  

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not impossible. A lot of people do it and live healthy lives. 

No one is disputing the 'moderate amounts' but what is a moderate amount? Most people eat more than the recommended 30g of sugar a day.  

Most people in Western society eat too much sugar. I agree. Many people worldwide would benefit from eating more. Agree? 

A moderate amount depends entirely on your individual energy use, which for most of us varies from day to day, and is impossible to put a fixed number on. I work out a lot. I burn a lot of calories every day. I need a lot of energy to maintain my activity levels. I am also 6ft4 and weigh 90kg. I can and should eat more sugar and other energy sources than someone who doesn’t work out, someone who is smaller, a woman, etc and so on. 

Please show me an actual, real mealplan that literally contains zero forms of sugar. 

Edited by El Zen

I often do Intermittent Fasting when I know I'm about to have a blowout in order to try and manage calorie intake. For example I'm now watching the rugby, drinking beers and eating nachos with guac, cheese and refried beans. So I skipped breakfast, had a small lunch and have done over an hour on the cross trainer to do 17k steps today. Let's me have the blowout guilt free. 

On 19/03/2022 at 08:46, Rds1983 said:

Managed to hit my target weight! Have dropped from nearly 15 stone to under 13. Feeling so much better at this weight and feel I can keep pushing through to at least 12.5 stone which would give a nice rebound buffer. 

Screenshot_20220319_084442.jpg

Fantastic stuff keep it up. How do you feel?

I lost another pound this week.

1 stone,  8 pounds lost in total for me

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Fantastic stuff keep it up. How do you feel?

I lost another pound this week.

1 stone,  8 pounds lost in total for me

Thanks. Feel really good. Much better weight for me, especially as I've managed to keep most of the muscle I had. Going to keep at it and try to get abs for the first time since I was in my early 20s.

Keep at it bud. Losing a stone and a half already is really good progress. 

On 11/03/2022 at 20:36, El Zen said:

Well, you literally do. Glucose is sugar. And you literally need it.

Incorrect. You do not need to consume any dietary glucose or sugar at all. The required amount is literally 0.

The liver is perfectly capable of producing all of the glucose you need (hepatic gluconeogenesis).

Sugar has no nutritional value at all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, regular_john said:

Incorrect. You do not need to consume any dietary glucose or sugar at all. The required amount is literally 0.

The liver is perfectly capable of producing all of the glucose you need (hepatic gluconeogenesis).

Sugar has no nutritional value at all.

But your body uses sugar. Sugar has nutritional value. The problem is too much sugar. Some sugar is perfectly fine and useful. Sugar is an energy source, not a toxin. It isn’t inherently evil or bad for you. Just don’t eat more of it than your body can use. It’s not that f***ing complicated. We have to stop turning food into dogma - it’s just not healthy. 

I say this as someone who really doesn’t eat a lot of sugar anyway. I agree that too much sugar is a big problem for many, many people in our part of the world. But for many, a bit of sugar is a perfectly safe and useful source of energy. 

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

But your body uses sugar. Sugar has nutritional value. The  problem is too much sugar. Some sugar is perfectly fine and useful. Sugar is an energy source, not a toxin. It isn’t inherently evil or bad for you. Just don’t eat more of it than your body can use. It’s not that f***ing complicated. We have to stop turning food into dogma - it’s just not healthy. 

I say this as someone who really doesn’t eat a lot of sugar anyway. I agree that too much sugar is a big problem for many, many people in our part of the world. But for many, a bit of sugar is a perfectly safe and useful source of energy. 

I have to say el zen i had to break my no/minimal sugar aa i had an event. So had abit if sugar but not huge amounts. I felt like crap the next day. Tired,  lethargic, brain fog and craving shit food.

Sugar is poison (thats my opinion) not fact before we go for round 2 again el zen with our debate 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Thanks. Feel really good. Much better weight for me, especially as I've managed to keep most of the muscle I had. Going to keep at it and try to get abs for the first time since I was in my early 20s.

Keep at it bud. Losing a stone and a half already is really good progress. 

Thats great. What you should do if you haven't already have a picture of when you was big to what you currently are side by side. I never realised how bad i looked before until i out a side by side pic.

Its so inspiring and makes you feel great after

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to say el zen i had to break my no/minimal sugar aa i had an event. So had abit if sugar but not huge amounts. I felt like crap the next day. Tired,  lethargic, brain fog and craving shit food.

Sugar is poison (thats my opinion) not fact before we go for round 2 again el zen with our debate 😃

You do what works for you, buddy 👊

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, El Zen said:

You do what works for you, buddy 👊

Absolutely mate. 

I am 100% convinced bread gives me problems in my stomach.  Since i stopped eating it i dont get the problem. I have it and i feel crappy. I thought it might be gluten intolerance but i eat gluten in other things and i am ok

4 hours ago, El Zen said:

But your body uses sugar. Sugar has nutritional value. The problem is too much sugar. Some sugar is perfectly fine and useful. Sugar is an energy source, not a toxin. It isn’t inherently evil or bad for you. Just don’t eat more of it than your body can use. It’s not that f***ing complicated. We have to stop turning food into dogma - it’s just not healthy. 

Yes and no. The body can make use of glucose, obviously, but as I said - the body is perfectly capable of making enough glucose to meet its own needs. Sugar isn't just glucose though, it's also part fructose, which the body cannot use in any meaningful way. 

Small amounts of sugar are obviously not harmful per se but there's so bloody much of the stuff in the modern diet. Just by having cereals for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and pasta/rice for dinner, you can easily end up having 20+ tsp per day without ever eating anything 'sweet'

• Like 1

Â