Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It might make weight loss faster but you still need to be on a calorie deficit for it to work. 

most fad diets convince people they don’t need to worry about calories. But they do. Whether it’s conscious or not

Agree but I don’t think Keto is a fad diet. Its a lifestyle for many people.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

A pal of mine swears low carb is the right diet for him. Doesn’t watch his cal counts at all, but religiously watches carb %. Eats as much as he wants and, crucially, drinks as much as he wants as long as it’s a ‘low carb’ product. Even «low carb» beer and wine. 

Needless to say he’s not losing anywhere near what he should be losing, all because he’s lulled himself into thinking ‘low carb’ is the only thing that matters. 

If I remind him I lost 20 kgs in 80 days counting calories, he says he can’t count calories and it doesn’t work for him. Sure it does, you just don’t want to. It hurts, but it works. 

20kg in 80 days is one hell of a weight loss. That's 3 and a bit stone in about 2 and a half months. Did you manage to keep that off or did you rebound at all? 

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wouldnt that need a deficit of around 1500-2000 calories a week ?

About that. 

500 calorie deficit usually equals a pound a week weight loss. 

20kg is 44lb so losing that over 11 weeks is 4lb a week so 2000 calorie deficit. 

It's not an exact science though. 

It's an extreme loss but doable if you have a high enough BMI to begin with. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

20kg in 80 days is one hell of a weight loss. That's 3 and a bit stone in about 2 and a half months. Did you manage to keep that off or did you rebound at all? 

Fat wise, it’s all still off and then some. I went from 105 kg to 85 kg. I’m 6ft4’’, so wasn’t massively overweight, but still not comfortable in my own body (I grew up playing sports every day, being just slightly fat didn’t really jive with my self perception.) I’m now 88-90 kg, but that increase is all muscle mass. 

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

It's an extreme loss but doable if you are a stubborn **** who is vain enough to do just about anything to look fit. 

FTFY 😉

(My before BMI was 28-ish, iirc.) 

In 2008 I lost 6 stone between January 1st and June the 1st. It's doable. Just don't eat any crap and moderate exercise. Currently I am at 2 stone over 6 weeks. Less regimented and my exercise is pretty much non existent. 

We need to understand, there is nothing like losing weight and how it makes you feel. I can't speak for losing weight, but I know for certain, when I was keeping fit, going the gym, cycling, I just felt so much better in myself, also gets your confidence way up.

I still try to eat healthy, but need to tighten it lately, but being the winter months and not going out on the bike, an I can really tell. The aches are back, tiredness, it's all to do with your diet, fitness and wellbeing.

Edited by foreveryoung

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It might make weight loss faster but you still need to be on a calorie deficit for it to work. 

most fad diets convince people they don’t need to worry about calories. But they do. Whether it’s conscious or not

I didn't calorie count 

I just learned what was high calorie, what's good and what's bad in general and cut out the bad, 18 months with no crisps for example, hardly any sweets, replaced chocolate with brownie protein bites but chocolate stayed around more than everything else, diet coke only, you can lose weight whilst still drinking a lot of diet coke I can tell you that for a fact 

And then shit loads of exercise to create the deficit, I was football 2 or 3 times plus gym probably 4 or 5 hours doing cross fit 

Then did the timing, intermittent fasting which I found easy, eating around exercise, played football at 6pm so no sugar before, not sure of thr science of that but to me it makes sense, if I know I'm going on a 2 hour walk Saturday morning I will eat after not before, that naturally reduces my number or meals and pushes me to the fasting 

Now I eat kind of whatever I want, 2 meals a day, walk 5km with work, play football once no gym but touch wood I'm not putting weight on 

I'm a steady 13 stone always have been. Very slim. It aint difficult. Don't eat crap. Dont snack. Eat marginally healthy meals most nights snacks at works are fruit, yogurts and peanut butter. Binge once a week max. 

Just don't snack and don't make eating chocolate or crisps a daily occurance.

My Mrs is the worst. "I've had a bad day so I'm going to drink wine or eat crap or have a Chinese."

That's great. Except you have a "bad day" every second day. Go for a walk and cook some chicken.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, El Zen said:

FTFY 😉

(My before BMI was 28-ish, iirc.) 

My BMI is similar but it’s deceptive as I have massive legs lol. So really don’t look that overweight. 2000 calorie deficit a day is mad. I’m guessing that included a lot of exercise and / or general movement ?

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I'm a steady 13 stone always have been. Very slim. It aint difficult. Don't eat crap. Dont snack. Eat marginally healthy meals most nights snacks at works are fruit, yogurts and peanut butter. Binge once a week max. 

My Mrs is the worst. "I've had a bad day so I'm going to drink wine or eat crap or have a Chinese."

That's great. Except you have a "bad day" every second day. Go for a walk and cook some chicken.

I think I mentioned, my Mrs is the same. it's hard when you try to look after yourself and watch the Mrs Binge every other day and make excuses for it, especially when she used to be fitter than me, making me go the gym with her. She wouldn't dream of re-joining the gym now.

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My BMI is similar but it’s deceptive as I have massive legs lol. So really don’t look that overweight. 2000 calorie deficit a day is mad. I’m guessing that included a lot of exercise and / or general movement ?

Yes. Plenty of excercise, running mostly. Several 10Ks/week. But diet was the key.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I agree the whole “I’ve had a bad day” mentality is a driver of lots of self-destructive binge behaviours. Learning how to say to yourself “I’ve had a bad day, but I can make tomorrow morning better by looking after myself” is a good skill.

I used to sit up binge drinking and eating snacks by myself after a stressful day, watching TV, generally doing nothing until 2 or 3am. A nice escape for a bit, but feel like shit when you wake up, and then you have another bad day and the cycle continues. Weight piles on very quickly.

Long walks are an amazing way to get this vicious cycle under control. Not always easy at this time of year, but even just 20 min brisk walk will help to get your stress under control, and then you can make more sensible decisions about your evening.

Obviously I don’t always practise what I preach, but I’m getting much better at catching myself when I’m about to go on a binge.

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good on you mate. Do you think this type of diet is just a sustainable way of keeping calories low and ultimately it’s just calories in v calories out.  So if you ate what you wanted but kept the calories in a deficit you would achieve the same weight loss?

Well of course it’s intake vs calories burned yes but because the body is having a reduction of calories it is vital in my view to intake quality calories… not junk. So healthy is the way forward I feel. Of course you can keep going deeper and deeper into which foods are good & bad but the killers are the salty and unnatural man made foods or “processed” foods. Avoid Cheese, biscuits, crackers, bread, sauce, chocolate, sweets etc… all man made if you think about it. I also used the no “yellow” food theory as usually if it’s got a yellowish hue it’s because of hidden trans-fat which is the stuff which kills you. 

I did have Diet Coke as my naughty treat drink and avoided fresh fruit juice as it contains a lot of calories. 

Big tip: Also if you sip 2 litres of water per day your body will release the water it holds with fat. This can help with weight loss and also aids fitness and health generally so all good! 

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

Â