Tempering expectations

Greenfly

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Yep. All of that (still secretly wishing for a EL spot though).

That's fair. I think it's achievable. I just don't want us all turning on Deano if it doesn't happen, which is likely.

• Like 3

I agree. It's been spoken about on here before. Smith's streaky results + social media weirdness has led to some very entitled fans.

When we were robbed at West Ham the moaning was surprising bearing in mind the good performance.

7 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, especially after browsing Villa twitter. I know that place is an absolute cesspool, but there's a running theme of our fans getting spoilt by our good form this season.

I'm seeing it all over; talk of some players not being good enough, despite us residing in the top six half a season after avoiding the drop by one point. People saying anything less than an EL spot this season would be a failure, considering the general consensus originally was an upper bottom half finish with no relegation concerns would be a successful season.

We're in danger of becoming a spoilt fanbase, and I'm worried it's going to happen soon. Look at Wolves - they've tasted some success, now they've hit hard times there all turning in Nuno. That could easily happen to us too.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it's something that needs to be said and remembered. We're doing extremely well. This next month will be very tough, probably the toughest period of the whole season. Things might not go well, but it does not erase the good work we've already done.

Let's just temper or expectations a little, ok? 10th would've been a fantastic finish at the start of the season, and that hasn't changed.

That's the problem with social media. I find that the most vocal, extreme and frequent posters are absolute morons. Everything's very short termist and immediate nowadays, again not helped by the media searching for and giving opinions rather than reporting news.

Off topic a touch, but the articles of whether Arsenal are in a relegation fight were ridiculous at this stage of the season. And look even more stupid now they've won a few games. How can you be in a relegation battle after one third of the season? Equally, now it's all about Man U challenging for the title. A couple of months ago, it was that Ole needed to go. I'd hate to be a football manager nowadays.

Answer your original point, I think most villa fans would be OK with mid table.

• Like 1

I think some fans would see finishing 10th as a wasted opportunity after the start we’ve had.

normally you would have a very well defined top 6 by now, so unless some drastic happened fans would generally know their teams place.

However this season as been anything from typical so far. With how tightly packed the top half is and being well in the mix, some fans would think this is a good opportunity to break into Europe (I’ll put my hands up and say part of me thinks along that line) however if we didn’t achieve it I wouldn’t be massively disappointed considering where we’ve come from. I’d actually be slightly concerned about getting that much success so soon after staying up (but what a story)

If any fans are allowed back in VP before the end of the season I'd be willing to bet money we hear some boos at some point. This is one of the most reasoned places to discuss Villa and there are still numerous people who only ever to post to criticise.

• Like 2

Thing is the league is so tight we could easy find ourselves finishing below pool, man u, Leicester, spurs, City, arsenal, soton, Everton, and if they keep getting results urgh west ham and finish about 12th. That would still be a great result but be gutting after doing so well for so long. We should really have beat the scrub teams like Brighton and Burnley 

Edited by VillaJ100

4 hours ago, Greenfly said:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, especially after browsing Villa twitter. I know that place is an absolute cesspool, but there's a running theme of our fans getting spoilt by our good form this season.

I'm seeing it all over; talk of some players not being good enough, despite us residing in the top six half a season after avoiding the drop by one point. People saying anything less than an EL spot this season would be a failure, considering the general consensus originally was an upper bottom half finish with no relegation concerns would be a successful season.

We're in danger of becoming a spoilt fanbase, and I'm worried it's going to happen soon. Look at Wolves - they've tasted some success, now they've hit hard times there all turning in Nuno. That could easily happen to us too.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it's something that needs to be said and remembered. We're doing extremely well. This next month will be very tough, probably the toughest period of the whole season. Things might not go well, but it does not erase the good work we've already done.

Let's just temper or expectations a little, ok? 10th would've been a fantastic finish at the start of the season, and that hasn't changed.

Great post, I'd go a bit further too and say that a lot of people who all of a sudden acting like we should bet everyone every week seem to be the same that were calling for Smith to go last season about this time of year and when we had the losing run in the Championship after the Forest 5-5. Whereas a lot of the people who were saying to keep the faith in Dean are those who've been consistently saying not to get too carried away with our early season form. It's pretty obvious that expecting our thin squad (we have little beyond a competitive well coached first eleven) to win every week will turn into being massively pissed off when we have the inevitable bad run and the usual overreactions about the head coach begin again.

It's not just Villa fans, it's all football fans these days, I really don't know how you can say that Smith hasn't earned our faith yet. He's done everything that has been asked of him, probably a year or two before the owners thought realistic and he's shown he can turn a bad run around twice. I think he will only get better and I think if we can build a team around Jack that grows together under his coaching this club has no limit. That is long term though and to keep it all together long term it would be good if the fanbase doesn't collectively shit the bed if we finish 12th this year.

• Like 2

We've not exactly been spoilt during the years, so can understand the relief of actually performing well at the top level. That said, i've been around a bit too long to fall in the "optimist trap". We have an exiting team atm, but are over-archieving compared to some teams that are even better on paper. 

All honour to Deano and staff for that, but honestly, we are only a Jack injury away from dropping down again. Let's see what happens. Im preparing for the worst, and ofc hoping for the best. UTV no matter what.

Edit: The last time we played in europa we had a very good side. Carew, Milner, Young etc. Then we sold our best players, Laursen retired and the downfall started. Memory also brings me back to a time where I thought Nathan Delfouneso was going to be next Pele 😳

Edited by K-Carlsen
  • Like 1

I think most sensible Villa fans realise we're performing way above expectations at the minute. We very nearly went down and it's like watching a different team this season.

Like most, i was hoping not to be in a relegation scrap this season, and to carry on improving year on year. I'm still sticking to that as we're only a couple of injuries away from a crisis, like we experienced last year. Anything else is a bonus and another reason to be proud of the club.

I'd argue the fans on twitter probably aren't as invested as the majority of sensible villa fans, and should stick to winning the league this season firmly on FIFA or football manager.

• Like 2

Â