New Year 2021

Dodgyknees

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

If recent years are anything to go by, sat drinking and watching Jools Holland and grumbling about how I've never heard of any of the acts, and they're all shit. Look out of the window at the fireworks at midnight. Bed. 

Don't bother, half of this years show is clips from previous years and one of the acts that is on is Ruby sodding Turner

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Don't bother, half of this years show is clips from previous years and one of the acts that is on is Ruby sodding Turner

Actually, I just looked at the lineup. Won't bother. Probably a few episodes of Spiral and/or Vikings instead. 

• Like 1

Was there a show that preceded Jools and the hootenanny on New Year’s Eve? Or is it really the only music show that’s ever taken place to mark the new year?

My earliest memories of New Year’s Eve telly is Clive James. I couldn’t tell you what exactly his show consisted of (a review of the year, I guess?), but if I’m asked to associate a figure with the night, Clive is never far away.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Assume she's wearing a strap on? Not sure it's how Alex envisioned spending New Years Eve when Blur agreed to play for Jooles.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Was there a show that preceded Jools and the hootenanny on New Year’s Eve? Or is it really the only music show that’s ever taken place to mark the new year?

My earliest memories of New Year’s Eve telly is Clive James. I couldn’t tell you what exactly his show consisted of (a review of the year, I guess?), but if I’m asked to associate a figure with the night, Clive is never far away.

I used to love Clive James on new years eve. 

I have on video tape somewhere "The Rock Review of the Decade" which was shown new years eve 1989 and was the first time the full Thriller Video was ever shown. I think it's recorded over 2 tapes it was such a long show. 

Dont them remember doing a yearly one before that though. 

• Like 1

Same as I do every year... be a miserable git!! Can't stand new year at the best of times!

In all seriousness had probably the worst year of my life for various reasons so at best will have a glass or two of something strong, enjoy my own company and the silence in the house and have a think about things going forward in 2021.

Hope its better for us all and hopefully we get back to VP ASAP... I certainly need it!!

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I will check but before word removed Holland and his shitting Gregory Porter and Ruby Turner night of shite became a mainstay there used to be a good night of varied music. 

1985 was Whistle Test 86, similar in 86.

It was varied and different shows  

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This shit, notice how it hasn't really changed much. Even contains some shit Scouse Stand-up telling jokes about "darkies"

• Thanks 1

This is one example. Long example. 

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctwo/england/1986-12-31

Spoiler

19.00: 86 Whistle Test 87

Whistle Test and BBC2 take you into 1987 in the company of Mark Ellen Andy Kershaw 
David Hepworth and Ro Newton

Contributors

Unknown: Mark Ellen
Unknown: Andy Kershaw
Unknown: David Hepworth
Unknown: Ro Newton

19.05: The PoliceSynchronicity Concert

The first showing on television of this highly-acclaimed concert featuring Sting and co on stage in Atlanta, Georgia, filmed by GODLEY AND CREME, formerly of lOcc and now two of Britain's leading video makers.

19.50: Africa Tomorrow

In the wake of Live Aid this documentary examines the continuing problem of feeding and rehabilitating the drought-stricken areas of Africa. With contributions from Bob Geldof David Bowie 
George Michael and many flashbacks to the Live Aid concert in Wembley, the programme examines what the future holds for these Africans. 
Directors STEPHEN BOTTOMORE and CAROLINE WEBB 
Producer RICHARD KEEFE

Contributors

Unknown: Bob Geldof
Unknown: David Bowie
Unknown: George Michael
Directors: Stephen Bottomore
Directors: Caroline Webb
Producer: Richard Keefe

20.35: Double Bill

A second chance to see two of the most successful rock concerts of 1986 Rendez-Vous Houston 'The biggest show ever produced on this planet.' 
This typically Texan claim was how Jean-Michel Jarre 's Houston extravaganza was described earlier this year, a fact subsequently supported by its inclusion in this year's 
Guinness Book of Records. The concert, which took place on 5 April, was part of Houston's sesquicentennial celebrations. It used the ultramodern downtown skyline as both a back-drop and a projection screen for the largest laser show ever given. A crowd of over a million watched it from as far as two miles away. 
Jean-Michel describes his aims, and highlights from the evening's amazing fusion of lights, projections, lasers and music are shown. (R) 
86 Whistle Test 87 continues overleaf

Contributors

Unknown: Jean-Michel Jarre

21.30: Pick of the Year

Part One 
The first of two chances to enjoy again highlights from this year's Whistle Tests, including a-ha 
The Housemartins Spandau Ballet The Bangles and The Smiths

21.50: Double Bill

The second of tonight's top rock concerts 
The Prince's Trust 
Birthday Party 
On 20 June, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Prince's Trust, a concert of superstars from the world of pop music performed for 
Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales. The birthday concert took place at Wembley Arena, London and featured 
Big Country, Suzanne Vega Level 42 plus, for one night only, the supergroup 
Birthday Party including Phil Collins 
Midge Ure 
Mark Knopfler Tina Turner 
Rod Stewart 
Elton John 
Eric Clapton 
Joan Armatrading Howard Jones Paul Young and special guests (R)

Contributors

Unknown: Suzanne Vega
Unknown: Phil Collins
Unknown: Midge Ure
Unknown: Mark Knopfler
Unknown: Tina Turner
Unknown: Rod Stewart
Unknown: Elton John
Unknown: Eric Clapton
Unknown: Joan Armatrading
Unknown: Howard Jones
Unknown: Paul Young

23.35: 86 Into 87With Kim Wilde

Go live to see in the New Year with Kim Wilde and friends on the stage of The Goldiggers Club in Chippenham.

Contributors

Unknown: Kim Wilde

0.10: Pick of the Year

Part Two 
More highlights taken from the last Whistle Test series. Including Elvis Costello 
Ted Hawkins , The Waterboys Bloodfire Posse 
The Pogues and Dwight Yoakan Directors TOM CORCORAN DAVID CROFT , MAY MILLER Producers 
JOHN BURROWES , TREVOR DANN Editor MICHAEL APPLETON

Contributors

Unknown: Elvis Costello
Unknown: Ted Hawkins
Unknown: Dwight Yoakan
Directors: Tom Corcoran
Directors: David Croft
Directors: May Miller
Producers: John Burrowes
Producers: Trevor Dann
Editor: Michael Appleton

0.30: Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars

The legendary 1973 concert given by David Bowie
At the end of a highly successful world tour, rock star David Bowie - then adopting the flamboyant and exotic persona of Ziggy Stardust - announced his retirement from the stage. This memorable final concert at the Hammersmith Odeon was filmed by D. A. Pennebaker, famous for such 60s rock documentaries as Don't Look Back and Monterey Pop.
Only recently has this classic Bowie concert been made available to the public. The 17 songs performed include such favourites as 'Ziggy Stardust ', 'Oh! You pretty things', 'Changes', 'Time', 'Suffragette city', and 'Rock 'n' roll suicide'. On stage he is backed by The Spiders From Mars - Mick Ronson, Mick Woodmansey and Trevor Bolder.
Produced and directed by D. A. PENNEBAKER
(First showing on British television)
40 FILMS: page 27

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

This shit, notice how it hasn't really changed much. Even contains some shit Scouse Stand-up telling jokes about "darkies"

Well I had a quick scan through that. 

Appears to be more Russ Abbot than I’d expected, particularly more Russ Abbot singing a song that isn’t “Atmosphere” than I expected.

I like that whoever has uploaded that hasn’t edited out the advert break in the middle.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

"A Shell and BP audience, they're well oiled" 

Urgh

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

If recent years are anything to go by, sat drinking and watching Jools Holland and grumbling about how I've never heard of any of the acts, and they're all shit. Look out of the window at the fireworks at midnight. Bed. 

Had a look so that I could storm in with some belittling of the old man... 

Me Too Yep GIF by South Park

Micheal Kiwanuka and aloe black to be fair are both acts that I'm waiting to get swept up by and something like a good Jools performance can do that (I love love and hate) 

But overall its disappointing 

Off to bed now.  Was hoping to avoid the knobheads setting off fireworks but they started early tonight.   Poor dogs have hated it.  

Happy New Year VTers- hoping 2021 is better than we can possibly hope for. 

• Like 4

Fat and full of buffet type picky food, loads of cheese and cured meats, olives etc... feel sick now and don’t know why we bought that much really. Gonna play some quiz games with the kids now then go to bed. Jools Holland will not be making an appearance here tonight, I’d rather eat gravy and fish than have to endure that rubbish. 

Happy New Year you lot, here’s to three points for the Villa tomorrow! 

• Like 4

Â