Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

Gifts from my wife:

• Gift set with 4 different bottles of Ommegang Brewery Belgian quadruple ale and a glass
  • Single-malt Scotch edition of Anthon Berg liquor-filled mini chocolate bottles
  • Set of nice margarita glasses
  • Battery-operated corkscrew

I think she’s on to me.

We had such a palaver trying to get hold of a box of Elizabeth Shaw Famous Names Cherry liqueur chocolates.  These are absolutely essential to us but we just completely forgot about them.

Mrs Sidcow went to 7 different shops on Xmas Eve and ended up with some massively inferior Aldi own brand. 

We knew her nephew who works for Sainsburys was coming round later on to socially distance pick up and drop off some presents so asked him to bring some if they had any in store. 

Bless him he turned up with the Famous Names box but he'd actually got it from Aldi...who for us only had their own brand. 

I've just created a reminder on my phone for late November next year to seek out and buy them. Can't cope with that kind of panic again. 

Some controversial items on the Xela family Christmas dinner option list today

As well as the standard turkey, gammon, piggy blankets, roasties, stuffing, sprouts, parsnips and carrots, there were also peas, red cabbage, swede mash and cauliflower cheese.

No yorkies though, which was a shame. 

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Some controversial items on the Xela family Christmas dinner option list today

As well as the standard turkey, gammon, piggy blankets, roasties, stuffing, sprouts, parsnips and carrots, there were also peas, red cabbage, swede mash and cauliflower cheese.

No yorkies though, which was a shame. 

Why are peas controversial? Pretty standard vegetable. 

Amongst all the CDs I had for Christmas, I received a new cardigan. Bit **** random, oh apparently the circa 25 year old cardigan I wear in the house (put a cardigan on, the heating doesn’t need to go on) has seen better days and is to be retired. 

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd have said the gammon was more controversial than anything listed as such, and even then, only slightly

Gammon is never controversial or out of place, goes with everything, even fish and chips. 

On 25/12/2020 at 01:04, Tegis said:

Captain Haddock dictionary. Best present ever, customers of mine wont know what hit them

image.png.f6ed853eb13055f0c5f25ee214ac6782.png

That's absolute class. Gonna store that and give it to my dad next year. Brilliant. 

I got some kind of garden thingy for my kitchen. My girl knows I like gadgets and plants/gardening, so it was a laugh. Should be fun to try out. 

https://eu.clickandgrow.com/products/the-smart-garden-3

Christmas Day was very unChristmas like.
We had to change plans and have the buffet at the in-laws planned for Boxing Day on Christmas Day. It was quite underwhelming. 
Christmas dinner today will hopefully save the season. 

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

Christmas Day was very unChristmas like.
We had to change plans and have the buffet at the in-laws planned for Boxing Day on Christmas Day. It was quite underwhelming. 
Christmas dinner today will hopefully save the season. 

Tbf I think a lot of people feel the same.  Yesterday was just another day for me,  didn't feel particularly festive - just lots of work till bed time.  The missus and I didn't even have a drink and that just isn't like us.  People going home today so quiet day until 3 i reckon. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Tbf I think a lot of people feel the same.  Yesterday was just another day for me,  didn't feel particularly festive - just lots of work till bed time.  The missus and I didn't even have a drink and that just isn't like us.  People going home today so quiet day until 3 i reckon. 

My brother is here (usually living alone, vulnerable so he’s in our bubble) but I’m hoping he goes home after the dinner today. He’s a miserable bastard at the best of times and he’s had a tough year. He doesn’t get involved in anything and wants to be waited on all day.

We’re having dinner early so we’ll see how it goes.

So 1.00am this morning I heard my son talking to god on the big white telephone. 

Went up to check on him and you could tell he was setting in for a session. 

Went and got him a pint glass of water and a plastic bin for the side of his bed. 

He kept at it dry retching for ages, finally got back into bed, a few sips of water later and he's retching into the bin.  Half an hour later he finally seems to have got to sleep so I thought I would get the sick bin emptied and rinsed so it's not a horror to clean in the morning. 

I'm swilling it out when I hear him going again, I'd only had it for about a bloody minute.  Peg it into the bedroom and there he is heaving into his waste paper basket. Aaghh. Fortunately it had a bin bag in it managed to swap the bins and 2.30 am I'm double bagging his bin for the dustbin. 

He's 18 and had spent all day drinking, wine at the table, Disaronno, then cans and cans of Stella. I knew he was bladdered and told him a couple of times he'd had enough but they just won't be told at that age will they. 

Anyway that was the end of my Christmas Day. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

My brother is here (usually living alone, vulnerable so he’s in our bubble) but I’m hoping he goes home after the dinner today. He’s a miserable bastard at the best of times and he’s had a tough year. He doesn’t get involved in anything and wants to be waited on all day.

We’re having dinner early so we’ll see how it goes.

Hope you have a good day dude. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He's 18 and had spent all day drinking, wine at the table, Disaronno, then cans and cans of Stella. I knew he was bladdered and told him a couple of times he'd had enough but they just won't be told at that age will they

Ah, youth. Takes me back. How's his hangover going? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's fine thanks.  I had a bit of a headache when I first woke up but a couple of paracetamol sorted that out. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As I write Mrs Sidcow is about to take him up a cup of tea. The verdict will be in shortly but early betting is on a humdinger. 

As an aside when I have a really bad hangover, the ONLY thing I want for my first meal as McDonalds cheeseburgers. 

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Then you've never had a REALLY bad hangover. The REALLY bad ones cannot tolerate any food at all - it would be vomited straight back up. Sips of water, ibuprofen, lying very still in a darkened room and crying with the pain is my experience. But for a MEDIUM to BAD one, then yes, I agree - hot greasy food is the answer (although my preference would be a full English). 

kenneth-williams-gif-8.gif&key=dbf257a78

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Then you've never had a REALLY bad hangover. The REALLY bad ones cannot tolerate any food at all - it would be vomited straight back up. Sips of water, ibuprofen, lying very still in a darkened room and crying with the pain is my experience. But for a MEDIUM to BAD one, then yes, I agree - hot greasy food is the answer (although my preference would be a full English). 

Exactly.  I can remember finding out what my limit is for the first time like it was yesterday, for some reason I sat with my head stuck out the opening of the French windows puking on the patio.  Good luck to Sidcow Jr.

• Thanks 1

Â