Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Just on recruitment, our 5 signings this year that have completely transformed our squad cost less than 1 of the blokes Chelsea brought off the bench yesterday. 

Not only does that put things into perspective, it also shows that we don't need another pot of gold, 1 or 2 more clever signings and we'll be flying. 

40 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just on recruitment, our 5 signings this year that have completely transformed our squad cost less than 1 of the blokes Chelsea brought off the bench yesterday. 

Not only does that put things into perspective, it also shows that we don't need another pot of gold, 1 or 2 more clever signings and we'll be flying. 

Transformed our first XI not our squad really.  Our squad depth is weak and I think over time we need a lot more than 1 or 2 clever signings to be really competitive over a long season.

Chelsea’s bench was scary, yes they are playing poorly at the moment but looking at our bench, we are a world apart in that area.  Fortunately our first XI plus a couple of others are awesome at the moment and generally available.

So who are the big players in the championship currently?

Aarons, Sarr, Brooks, Cantwell, Buendia, King, Kelly?

There has been a fair bit of stripping of talent from the Champ recently in Watkins, Cash, Bowen, Benrahma etc, what true talent do you think we should look at from the champ?

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

There has been a fair bit of stripping of talent from the Champ recently in Watkins, Cash, Bowen, Benrahma etc, what true talent do you think we should look at from the champ?

The lad from Reading seems to be getting a lot a praise

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Tyler Adams 

Krystian Bielik

Possibly Emile Smith Rowe (I mention him a lot... I don't know if Arsenal would sell but he is one whom definitely interests me)

This one is probably unrealistic, but rumors are that Lampard could get sacked -- Mason Mount (or one of the many other "attacking mids" they have.

Left Back is a very tough position for us imo. We definitely need someone who can cover (maybe a full fledged backup). Someone mentioned it (i forget who) but we shouldn't be going out to sign backups, we should be signing players to first team roles that knock the current player to the bench. I just don't know who would buy for a 'reasonable' price that is an immediate upgrade. Rico Henry gets mentioned a lot but I don't know if 1. He's an immediate upgrade on Targett, and 2. would be worth the price that Brentford would want for him. (i also have mentioned a few times that he is a SHA fan as well)

I was reading the comments on the BBC website after our game last night. No Chelsea fan had a good word for either Frank Lampard or Mason Mount. 

Although a MysonMason posted that he thought, “Mason was the best player on the pitch and couldn’t believe that VAR hadn’t intervened to send off Jack Grealish.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And adeyemi, ongeune, okafor and maybe wober even though he's bounced around a bit already 

If all of them get 2/3 years game time then feed in to Leipzig then they could have one hell of a team... Which will finish 2nd and then get cherry picked by bayern... 

Yeah, they have some recruitment team to get all these in

24 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Soutter and Collins (both CB’s) at Stoke are worth looking at.  

Brentford have a few useful players still (Henry, Dasilva, Canos, Mbeumo).

Josh King perhaps?  Not keen on him myself though and would avoid.

Not many quality strikers to be had at present, Toney?  Campbell would have been worth a look but now injured for the rest of the season.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-aston-villa-26-yr-old-in-line-for-jan-loan-as-smith-plan-revealed/

A recruitment source has told Football Insider Villa are not planning to sell Guilbert either in January or next summer.

Aston Villa are ready to loan out Frederic Guilbert in January so he can get regular first-team football, Football Insider can reveal.

The Frenchman has not featured in the Premier League this season with Matty Cash and Ahmed Elmohamady in front of him in the pecking order.

Dean Smith and the Midland giants’ hierarchy want the right-back to return to Villa next season to challenge for a first-team spot.

A bit confusing, so what, we are just dossing him about until Elmo leaves? lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

12 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

This 

Although for me LB and RW are less vital than the other 3 positions. 

If we got those 5 positions and kept Barkley over the next two windows, it’s eye watering to think what could happen moving forward.

Just for fun (over the next two windows)

Rico Henry 

Tuanzebe

Kalvin Phillips 

Barkley

Rashica 

Abraham 

Now that's a bad boy list.

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

One thing which impacts what I think/thought we needed in jan, are we playing 433 or 4321 these days?, as I think dependsnt on which we use changes slightly what we need....

Looks like we have mostly moved to a 4231 now?

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

he actually looks pretty sick...

I’ve watched two reading games and he’s class. They’ve got another player who links up

really well with him. Definitely worth getting in. Especially before he developed further and costs a load of money