Man Utd and Liverpool in talks to create FIFA European PL to replace UEFA CL

villalad21

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The problem is that the yanks have a playing base of 24m people, hard to find their viewing base but it's not hard to imagine that the potential is there for the audience in the states to be bigger than it is in the UK 

A glorified MLS plays to the crowd that they want... 

The PL for a long long time now has not been about fans in the stands, we are a tiny market for them, when you throw in Asia as well then the same can be said for European competition and fans, we're outnumbered 

A half empty Old Trafford every game massively reduces the appeal of the TV product though. Whether this would actually happen or not would remain to be seen.

The premier league is the most successful league in the world, by a considerable margin  Liverpool and Manure are being naive compromising it for super League that will only benefit clubs who are not in the premier league, PSG, Bayern, Barca  and all's those clubs who play in league's that hold no real value internationally. 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

We look at Football through the lenses of Villa and being born in Crewe/Exeter/Burton and following lower league football.

What we don't realise is that most of the football world does not care much about Wycombe, Villa, Crystal Palace, Fulham or Middlesbrough.

What most fans in the world (Asia, Most of European countries like Poland, USA, South America) want to see is Juventus vs Man United or Barcelona Vs Liverpool.  [1]

They don't care about FFP, Sky Sports, lawro and his predictions, the FA cup, Saturday 3pm kick off.

Sport is a business and it will favour an option that makes more money. [2]

Not that I like it, but it's happening. [3]

[1] Correct, and the Champions League exists already for those fans.

[2] It is not remotely clear that this plan - whatever it is, since the details have not been made clear yet - would make more money. What *is* going to make more money, is pressuring UEFA's TV deal.

[3] This particular idea is not happening.

• 1 month later...

Interesting Reading:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55131356

Why football is facing major change, despite 'toxicity' of Project Big Picture plan

When Premier League chief executive Richard Masters addressed a parliamentary hearing on 10 November, he delivered a line all English football could agree on, despite the fierce opposition that followed Project Big Picture's unexpected unveiling a month before.

"Change is coming."

Masters was talking about the situation in Europe, where negotiations around the expansion of Uefa's club competitions have been taking place for 17 months now.

However, if England's so-called 'big six' clubs have their way, that "change" will be far more extensive than what appears set to happen on the continent - an expanded format for all European club competitions, including the Champions League group stage.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Fifa and the others have announced that any player who takes part in a European super league will not be able to take part in any of their competitions

Monopoly it is then 

That's probably the end of any super league talks now I'd guess?

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge stating that Bayern would likely not be interested in a European Super League as it would have too much of a negative effect on the national leagues.

Remains to be seen if they still have that stance if it  actually happens.

I mean it's not really in any of their best interests. Their home fans are used to winning, a lot. Look at man u recent years if that was villa it would be one of the best spells in our history. If they joined the mega league and got pissed on every week and finished bottom of the table every year they really wouldn't like it. 

If it did happen I'm certain there'd be some sort of yank sports communism involved, like the winner of the euro elite league next season could only spend 50 million net, with the number increasing in 25 mil increments until bottom of the league could spend like 400 mil of something

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

I mean it's not really in any of their best interests. Their home fans are used to winning, a lot. Look at man u recent years if that was villa it would be one of the best spells in our history. If they joined the mega league and got pissed on every week and finished bottom of the table every year they really wouldn't like it. 

If it did happen I'm certain there'd be some sort of yank sports communism involved, like the winner of the euro elite league next season could only spend 50 million net, with the number increasing in 25 mil increments until bottom of the league could spend like 400 mil of something

As I've said before, it is not in their interests to *join* such a competition, but it is in their interests to plausibly *threaten* to join it, in order to try to extract concessions from domestic authorities.

Hence, talk of the idea will not go away.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

As I've said before, it is not in their interests to *join* such a competition, but it is in their interests to plausibly *threaten* to join it, in order to try to extract concessions from domestic authorities.

Hence, talk of the idea will not go away.

Until they push it too hard by demanding too much and the FAs call their bluff. Not sure the FAs are that competent mind. 

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Until they push it too hard by demanding too much and the FAs call their bluff. Not sure the FAs are that competent mind. 

I don't think we'll ever get to the calling-bluff stage. Both ideas (FAs calling their bluffs, big clubs creating a super league) are so implausible that the 'debate' always end up being tepid and pointless.

The ritual dance they engage in is less irritating than the media hyping the possibility every time it comes up, rather than carefully explaining to people why it's highly unlikely to happen.

As long as the threat remains from the likes of us and Everton and Southampton and Leicester, then the need for restructure will remain. 

There are six companies that have their revenue streams threatened - they'll do whatever it takes to protect or enhance those revenue streams - it almost doesn't matter that those business's are football clubs - this isn't about football. 

Things are coming to a head and in the next couple of years we'll either see the current 'big six' broken up a little as up to ten clubs battle regularly for European football (an option that could be described as a sporting success) or we'll see the split on TV revenues changed to benefit them at the expense of clubs like ours (a business success for the current structure) - which way that goes will depend on how much pressure those clubs can leverage on the games governing bodies.

They've already seen off one massive threat in terms of the Saudi takeover of Newcastle, this one is much more difficult as it involves potentially changing the game for the long term - it's a massive prize if you're Spurs or Arsenal; it's near permanent success, guaranteed - it's putting up a border in the middle of the Premier League and having it enforced. They'll keep pushing and pushing for it until they either get it or it's too late.

This season is a real chance for someone like Everton or us to put a dent in the plan by finishing in the top six - or for Leicester to put a real dent in it by winning the league.

• Like 1

One major change I can see coming in for European SL or revamped Champions league is where a clubs record over 5 years is taken into consideration for qualification for each year.The major worry for the big 6 is they have Champions League squads and Champions league wage bills but are at serious risk of not qualifying especially now with the reemergence of Everton and Leicester and others.

Someone suggested if they used this “historical “method for qualication Arsenal and Tottenham would have qualified for champions league this year.

What I can see happening is expansion of Europa league and Champions league so clubs that finish 10 th will be qualifying and I could see us,Everton,Leicester etc agreeing to it .Probably going to need to reduce size of premier league and get rid of league cup.

These changes make it virtually impossible that one of the big 6 will not qualify for Champions league.

Edited by Only2McInallys

thats the way i read it from them

they've said you're not allowed to play in an alternative tournament to theirs

what they will now do is create and adjust their own competitions to get it as close to a european / world super league as they possibly can, the only thing stopping them from announcing the CL will be a 20 team closed shop league format is that they would need to get it past the 56 FA vote, i think UEFAs next step will be to come up with some way of getting promotion and relegation between cup competitions, the europa league 2 starts next season, i think they'll come up with a system where teams drop and rise through their 3 competitions regardless of their league position, at the moment its only the winner but they'll expand it, the main thing they need to do is address the financial disparity, this £60m for playing in the group stages of the CL or £10m for winning the EL has got to be balanced

IMHO the CL became a joke when they expanded it so that the team that finished 4th in the PL could qualify for the CL.What right has a team that finished 4th got to play in a Champions league ? FFS.It should be for league champions only ( like it used to be )Next thing you know is that the bottom 3 teams will go down and all the other teams will qualify for the CL.

• Like 1

Â