Man Utd and Liverpool in talks to create FIFA European PL to replace UEFA CL

villalad21

16 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I mean it's not really in any of their best interests. Their home fans are used to winning, a lot. Look at man u recent years if that was villa it would be one of the best spells in our history. If they joined the mega league and got pissed on every week and finished bottom of the table every year they really wouldn't like it. 

If it did happen I'm certain there'd be some sort of yank sports communism involved, like the winner of the euro elite league next season could only spend 50 million net, with the number increasing in 25 mil increments until bottom of the league could spend like 400 mil of something

all depends how much money they get despite finishing bottom of said table. it might be more than winning the current PL and CL combined if this thing really takes off

i'll be like preseason tournaments. no one cares if they win, they're just happy taking part and making shedloads from being part of it.

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

all depends how much money they get despite finishing bottom of said table. it might be more than winning the current PL and CL combined if this thing really takes off

i'll be like preseason tournaments. no one cares if they win, they're just happy taking part and making shedloads from being part of it.

Contrary to the impression that I admit they sometimes give, fans of these teams are fans of football, not fans of balance sheets.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve already stopped watching the CL, not interested. It has zero sporting merit, it is openly fixed and quite possibly secretly fixed for good measure.

I can't remember the last time I watched a CL. game.  Easily 10+ years ago. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It'll pass if it goes to a vote

1 FA 1 vote, increase to 36 teams, the expansion means that celtic or BATE or Copenhagen have a better chance of making the group stage then that's the Scottish Belarussian and Danish FA voting for it 

If they give the PL minimum 6 but preferably 8 in case of an Arsenal like bad season it may just save the PL. 

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If they give the PL minimum 6 but preferably 8 in case of an Arsenal like bad season it may just save the PL. 

They're looking to give the PL six Champions league places, but offer up some sort of support qualification so that if Man Utd finish seventh they still get to qualify.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve already stopped watching the CL, not interested. It has zero sporting merit, it is openly fixed and quite possibly secretly fixed for good measure.

What's been fixed recently?

Dodgy refs?

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The entire competition is fixed, qualification, seeding, coefficients, avoiding draws of teams from the same country, a league rather than knockout format... everything about the CL lacks integrity as a sporting competition. It is doped for the elite.

I don’t trust the draws either.

Preach.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The entire competition is fixed, qualification, seeding, coefficients, avoiding draws of teams from the same country, a league rather than knockout format... everything about the CL lacks integrity as a sporting competition. It is doped for the elite.

I don’t trust the draws either.

And that's before you look at the financial disparity it creates meaning that the boys club should have repeat members every season 

• Like 2

Historically, after our moment in the European Cup sun back in 1982, we've kind of been 'late to the party' and victims of rule changes over the years. 

1989-90 - League Division 1 Runners Up, which was only good for a UEFA Cup spot where we were ultimately fingered in the San Siro. 

1992-93 - Premier League Runner Up, which was only good for a UEFA Cup spot and a disappointing early exit to Deportivo La Caruna. 

Not long after that, 2nd Place in the Premier League became a Champions League spot. 

1995-96 - we finished 4th in the Premier League, which was only good enough for a UEFA Cup spot and a forgettable experience in the first round against Helsingborgs. 

Not long after that, incredibly, 4th place in our Premier League would allow you to qualify for the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. The farce, that the competition for the cream of European Football could be won by a team who finished 4th in their domestic league the season before. What a crock of brown waste. 

Under MON, we have three successive 6th placed finishes in the Premier League - which of course had their own disappointing exits from the Europa League, including twice to the noisy but good bantered upstarts of Rapid Vienna. The less said about the CSKA Moscow white towel throwing team selection, the better. MON never really recovered from that at Villa really. 

And now it seems that 6th place could get you into the Champions League... WTAF? Cartel nonsense of the highest order and if there's any justice it will all go 'pop.' Yeah, maybe some sour grapes and cognitive bias from me... but WTAF? 

So anyway… we've been victims to a degree of rules changes over the years which means that after our European Cup win, we have still yet to play in the Champions League. And that's an all important statistic for the millennials within the media who think football was only invented in 1992. I'm not sure how I would feel if my fantastic football club finished 6th in the league again and somehow felched it's way into the Champions League. All seem a bit 'smelly money' to me. But that's just my opinion... you don't have to chastise, pillory or hound. 

It's just life innit?

1 minute ago, Raver50032 said:

Historically, after our moment in the European Cup sun back in 1982, we've kind of been 'late to the party' and victims of rule changes over the years. 

1989-90 - League Division 1 Runners Up, which was only good for a UEFA Cup spot where we were ultimately fingered in the San Siro. 

1992-93 - Premier League Runner Up, which was only good for a UEFA Cup spot and a disappointing early exit to Deportivo La Caruna. 

Not long after that, 2nd Place in the Premier League became a Champions League spot. 

1995-96 - we finished 4th in the Premier League, which was only good enough for a UEFA Cup spot and a forgettable experience in the first round against Helsingborgs. 

Not long after that, incredibly, 4th place in our Premier League would allow you to qualify for the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. The farce, that the competition for the cream of European Football could be won by a team who finished 4th in their domestic league the season before. What a crock of brown waste. 

Under MON, we have three successive 6th placed finishes in the Premier League - which of course had their own disappointing exits from the Europa League, including twice to the noisy but good bantered upstarts of Rapid Vienna. The less said about the CSKA Moscow white towel throwing team selection, the better. MON never really recovered from that at Villa really. 

And now it seems that 6th place could get you into the Champions League... WTAF? Cartel nonsense of the highest order and if there's any justice it will all go 'pop.' Yeah, maybe some sour grapes and cognitive bias from me... but WTAF? 

So anyway… we've been victims to a degree of rules changes over the years which means that after our European Cup win, we have still yet to play in the Champions League. And that's an all important statistic for the millennials within the media who think football was only invented in 1992. I'm not sure how I would feel if my fantastic football club finished 6th in the league again and somehow felched it's way into the Champions League. All seem a bit 'smelly money' to me. But that's just my opinion... you don't have to chastise, pillory or hound. 

It's just life innit?

look at the brief history of the uefa cup spot going to the fa cup runners up too

first year the runner up got it we finished 6th and didnt get europe, the year they changed it back to the league position we were runners up in the cup 😂

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

look at the brief history of the uefa cup spot going to the fa cup runners up too

first year the runner up got it we finished 6th and didnt get europe, the year they changed it back to the league position we were runners up in the cup 😂

Crikey - completely overlooked that... Nasty old rules... Grrrrrrr...

I like the champions league. It's the best teams in Europe playing against each other. Sure it's the rich boys club, but so is the Premier League.

Every week I watch Burnley vs Southampton or Crystal Palace vs Newcastle.

It's a nice change to see Bayern play Juventus every now and again. 

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didnt the runner up always get into Europe in 2004 they started the Europa League which meant each league lost a league spot for it. None of the top 5 winning Carling Cup cost us 

7 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I like the champions league. It's the best teams in Europe playing against each other. 

It's only worth watching the knock out phase. The group stages are a farce and the games are terrible. 

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's only worth watching the knock out phase. The group stages are a farce and the games are terrible. 

That's because they fix draw for the group stages so that the big teams always goes through with their seeding and nations placing.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Personally i think more of the top leagues should get more spots. For example the premier league should get 4 automatic spots and 2 qualifier spots and more of the lesser leagues should go into the Champs league qualifiers and not automatically get put into the  Champions league.

I think the top clubs sell the Champions league for what it is and alot of the lesser teams get a free meal ticket/payday which is underserved. Also the current format is set up just to favor a wider European variance among the leagues when clearly alot of the leagues are just a poor standard and are 'just showing up'.

From a Villa fan perspective i see it as a crying shame that some of our players may never get to travel europe and play considering how good they are. But average or shite players get to do it because its fair spreadage of the the euro competition spots.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

Â