Man Utd and Liverpool in talks to create FIFA European PL to replace UEFA CL

villalad21

The source described it as "potentially the most important development in world club football for decades".

That is exactly right. It is very important because that will take all the enjoyment out of football as it will be a select few that are always in this league.

Copying the SPL plan it seems. 

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

Discrepancy in the thread title, this is nothing to do with UEFA nor affects the Champions League

This is something that has FIFA backing it which is a different organisation to UEFA

It clearly does affect the Champions League though, because it would impossible for clubs to play in both competitions *and* their domestic leagues, there just isn't enough time in a season. 

43 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It clearly does affect the Champions League though, because it would impossible for clubs to play in both competitions *and* their domestic leagues, there just isn't enough time in a season. 

If you haven't noticed, it's all about the money.

They will still put a case forward to compete in the Champions League as well, it will be their cup competition.

The point I was making though is that this is nothing to do with UEFA, even if this goes ahead, UEFA aren't just going to drop their own money spinning tournaments.

If they don't leave their domestic leagues they will treat them in the same way as they do the current cup competitions by playing fringe players and kids.

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

They have too or no deal IMO.

+ no way back. 

If they had the choice they wouldn't, as by avoiding relegation by playing their reserves they can still claim the premier league TV money

Personally I'd kick them out and state they have to return at the bottom of the pyramid if they ever decided to return

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Junxs said:

If they had the choice they wouldn't, as by avoiding relegation by playing their reserves they can still claim the premier league TV money

Personally I'd kick them out and state they have to return at the bottom of the pyramid if they ever decided to return

This would be the worst part of it. The humiliation of playing against their reserves. They would need to be cut adrift, but I doubt they would be, because of money.

31 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Agreed, if they swan off to join this and abandon English football, they should have to drop to the bottom of the pyramid and fight their way back through their national leagues if they decide to come back - like Bury are having to do, like Rangers had to (I know Rangers are in Scotland, but the same principle applies). 

6 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

This would be the worst part of it. The humiliation of playing against their reserves. They would need to be cut adrift, but I doubt they would be, because of money.

If their reserves were allowed to play in English football, it should be severely restricted, and they should be limited to the Championship with no means for promotion. Why should they be allowed to gobble up the Super League money and the premier league money as well....

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

If their reserves were allowed to play in English football, it should be severely restricted, and they should be limited to the Championship with no means for promotion. Why should they be allowed to gobble up the Super League money and the premier league money as well....

I agree of course, but am cynical...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Man Utd and Liverpool should be sent back down to the lowest tier of English football as punishment for this.

Replace them with Celtic and Rangers.

Celtic and Rangers would be just as bad as them if this happened.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

If you haven't noticed, it's all about the money.

I have indeed noticed that; I wrote a post saying as much that is only a few posts back.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

They will still put a case forward to compete in the Champions League as well, it will be their cup competition.

It seems very unlikely that UEFA would simply accept that as a settled state of affairs without a fight, since it massively devalues their own competition. I don't really see why UEFA would allow teams competing in the EUPL to play in the Champions League; if nothing else, barring them would force them to choose.

In any case, there are only 7 days in a week, so playing in 3 competitions means playing a game every 2-3 days. I find it hard to believe clubs will want to do that; they complain endlessly about fixture congestion already.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

The point I was making though is that this is nothing to do with UEFA, even if this goes ahead, UEFA aren't just going to drop their own money spinning tournaments.

If they don't leave their domestic leagues they will treat them in the same way as they do the current cup competitions by playing fringe players and kids.

What you have done there is identify two practical challenges in this idea ever happening:

1] 'Playing fringe players and kids' in the league would simply mean that they do not finish in the European qualifying spots in their domestic leagues;

2] UEFA are indeed unlikely to drop the Champions League, which might potentially remain more popular.

These problems interact with each other. If these teams do not finish at the top of their national leagues, or even get relegated, then it will be harder to argue that the EUPL represents the best sides in their country, even if they cannot be relegated from the EUPL. Similarly, a new sporting venture carries inherent risk. They sometimes fail, like the North American Soccer League or the XFL or the Stanford Series. Promises of money are not always delivered, and ratings can be fickle. It would be ironic if the Champions League brand turned out to be stronger than the brand of the clubs themselves.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It took about a week for the eye-catching parts of the last Big Idea to fall apart. I am open to being wrong, but I suspect a similar fate will befall this Big Idea too

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One other thing I should say on this, is that it would be much better if sports correspondents occasionally kicked the tyres on some of these ideas, rather than obviously performing a role as an uncritical conduit for press releases.

LOL

-----

‘Man Utd in talks over CL expansion not European Premier League’

'Man Utd executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has denied being involved in talks over a breakaway European Premier League, but says the club are part of discussions over an expanded Champions League from 2024 onwards.

United and Liverpool were named in reports on Tuesday as being among the clubs in talks over the new competition, which was said to be backed by American investment bank JP Morgan.

Woodward addressed the issue on a conference call with investors after the club published their year-end financial results.

[...]

A number of bodies within the continental game view the reports of a breakaway as part of the usual negotiating pattern which arises when a change in format is proposed to the Champions League.

[...]

FIFA was reported as having backed the plans for a breakaway competition, and is privately unhappy that its statement on Tuesday was not interpreted as a straightforward denial of any involvement.

The world governing body’s executives are understood to view the reports that they have backed it as nonsense.'

more on link: https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-champions-league-european-premier-league-ed-woodward

------

Sports journalists do your jobs for a day challenge.

AdeptFaroffAsianelephant-max-1mb.gif

57 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Man Utd and Liverpool should be sent back down to the lowest tier of English football as punishment for this.

Replace them with Celtic and Rangers.

No,  that is not a good idea IMO.

It would be a war and kill Scottish football for good.

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What you have done there is identify two practical challenges in this idea ever happening:

1] 'Playing fringe players and kids' in the league would simply mean that they do not finish in the European qualifying spots in their domestic leagues;

2] UEFA are indeed unlikely to drop the Champions League, which might potentially remain more popular.

These problems interact with each other. If these teams do not finish at the top of their national leagues, or even get relegated, then it will be harder to argue that the EUPL represents the best sides in their country, even if they cannot be relegated from the EUPL. Similarly, a new sporting venture carries inherent risk. They sometimes fail, like the North American Soccer League or the XFL or the Stanford Series. Promises of money are not always delivered, and ratings can be fickle. It would be ironic if the Champions League brand turned out to be stronger than the brand of the clubs themselves.

That's just it though, money talks, they will make a deal with UEFA for all members of super league to automatically enter the Champions League. UEFA won't say no to that as it adds more prestige to their tournament so will allow it.

That's why I was making the point of the them playing their reserves in the domestic league as their place in both European competitions will be assured. They will point to the fact that they cant qualify through their domestic leagues as they are also playing in another league. You just know they will come to some kind of arrangement, the greedy  b******s

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

That's just it though, money talks, they will make a deal with UEFA for all members of super league to automatically enter the Champions League. UEFA won't say no to that as it adds more prestige to their tournament so will allow it.

That's why I was making the point of the them playing their reserves in the domestic league as their place in both European competitions will be assured. They will point to the fact that they cant qualify through their domestic leagues as they are also playing in another league. You just know they will come to some kind of arrangement, the greedy  b******s

I wouldn't worry too much about hypotheticals because the story is complete and utter bollocks anyway.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I wouldn't worry too much about hypotheticals because the story is complete and utter bollocks anyway.

I don't think its is this time unfortunately, I've been reading about it, been in the works for 6 months and it's as far as clubs just needing to give their signatures apparently.

JP Morgan have apparently prepared a loan of $6bn to kickstart it.

I've got a very bad feeling about this, seems a lot more than the usual super league rumours that surface every few years. 

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

I don't think its is this time unfortunately, I've been reading about it, been in the works for 6 months and it's as far as clubs just needing to give their signatures apparently.

JP Morgan have apparently prepared a loan of $6bn to kickstart it.

I've got a very bad feeling about this, seems a lot more than the usual super league rumours that surface every few years. 

Check the link above. Woodward denied that it was a thing at all during an earnings call. I doubt he's lying to investors about the topic.

Â