Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can only imagine he is looking good I’m training. Just struggling to reproduce it on the pitch. 

We persisted with Drinkwater for several games and I can't imagine he looked impressive in training(unless you count giving an impressive headbutt to Jota).

Like any manager, Smith has his favorites. Barkley is one of them and will continue to be given chances to prove himself. El Ghazi wasn't, and as soon as it felt like his purple patch may be over he has never started for us again.

If you notice something, it is absurdly difficult for certain players on our squad to maintain a spot in the starting lineup, no matter how well they play in the few starting chances they get.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We persisted with Drinkwater for several games and I can't imagine he looked impressive in training(unless you count giving an impressive headbutt to Jota).

Like any manager, Smith has his favorites. Barkley is one of them and will continue to be given chances to prove himself. El Ghazi wasn't, and as soon as it felt like his purple patch may be over he has never started for us again.

If you notice something, it is absurdly difficult for certain players on our squad to maintain a spot in the starting lineup, no matter how well they play in the few starting chances they get.

Smith effectively ended El Gaza’s purple patch by dropping him and then Playing him for a half out of position then subbing him at half-time. 

We aren't in a position to be able to spend £30m on squad players that are inconsistent; excellent when they play well but passengers in games when they are not playing well.

As much as I would like us to keep Barkley, there must better out there when you factor in consistency and fitness record.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We aren't in a position to be able to spend £30m on squad players that are inconsistent; excellent when they play well but passengers in games when they are not playing well.

As much as I would like us to keep Barkley, there must better out there when you factor in consistency and fitness record.

I agree, we just brought one

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Something strange going on with him. Before his injury he looked so strong and fast. Both in the Liverpool and Leicester games, he'd drive with the ball, it was one of the main things that stood out for me. 

Now he just looks slow and sluggish. I got the reason for trying to get him back to match fitness quickly. And having Barkley does take some focus away from Jack. 

Something isn't right and I think he needs to be dropped and I imagine he will in the next game.

I think all these calls of lazy and needs to be sent back to Chelsea are extremely harsh. I really don't get what he's done to deserve what almost seems like hatred at this point in time.

It's currently not working out. But saying that we're still getting the points even with him starting and he was only slightly worse than mcginn, traore and Jack yesterday. 

Your 100% wrong mate. Nobody hates him because he's not playing well (it happens to every player). The hate arises from complete lack of effort! 

There is no excuse whatsoever for laziness. It's very bad for team morale to see a player getting away with less that 100% effort. There really is no excuse for laziness. Barkley is a mature man of 27 he therefore 'chooses' to be lazy and that's totally unacceptable in a team game!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

As @Follyfoot states, we were after a couple in the summer that we just couldn't get over the line. - One of them since joined in January.

I do agree there are better options out there to be had for less money.

3 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

There is no excuse whatsoever for laziness. It's very bad for team morale to see a player getting away with less that 100% effort. There really is no excuse for laziness. Barkley is a mature man of 27 he therefore 'chooses' to be lazy and that's totally unacceptable in a team game!

It certainly risks damaging morale for the rest of the squad.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's not our player so I've got very little time for supporting him through bad spells and building up his fitness or confidence, I'd much rather use that time and effort to develop our own players. If he's not pulling his weight, he shouldn't play. If he's not performing well enough to play regularly, he should return to his club. 

Hear! Hear!

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's not our player so I've got very little time for supporting him through bad spells and building up his fitness or confidence, I'd much rather use that time and effort to develop our own players. If he's not pulling his weight, he shouldn't play. If he's not performing well enough to play regularly, he should return to his club. 

100% right mate. He's not our player. Would rather see Ramsey have more game time because he's our future whilst Barkley (hopefully) is very much our past.

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hes won us at least 4 points this season. Although I don't think he is performing well, hes not the only one and i dont think he was our worst player yesterday. Maybe second worst. 

tbf mate I'm not having a go at him for being the 'worst' player yesterday but he was 100% the worst in terms of 'effort'

44 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hes won us at least 4 points this season. Although I don't think he is performing well, hes not the only one and i dont think he was our worst player yesterday. Maybe second worst. 

Martinez was won us points this season that reach double figures and hardly got a look in at Arsenal, he is now worth atleast £70m+.

The critism with Barkley comes because he has been poor since his return and he hardly makes any effort in games either.

I understand the shouts of 'Just returned from a long injury' 'He's recovering from Covid' 'He's played more than he's trained', but this is now also waring a bit thin.

When you review the stats since he's been a Villa player, it doesn't make for good viewing for this "calibre of player" and not one I would even spend £10m signing.

Any funds that may have been set aside for Barkley should be used in unearthing the midfield equivalent of Martinez instead.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Martinez was won us points this season that reach double figures and hardly got a look in at Arsenal, he is now worth atleast £70m+.

The critism with Barkley comes because he has been poor since his return and he hardly makes any effort in games either.

I understand the shouts of 'Just returned from a long injury' 'He's recovering from Covid' 'He's played more than he's trained', but this is now also waring a bit thin.

When you review the stats since he's been a Villa player, it doesn't make for good viewing for this "calibre of player" and not one I would even spend £10m signing.

Any funds that may have been set aside for Barkley should be used in unearthing the midfield equivalent of Martinez instead.

This is it, if he was poor but showing some pressing or defending in position people wont be complaining. Watkins went on a goal drought but people werent ranting about him because he brought something to the team still

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sidmon said:

Is anyone else looking at Ross and as much we want him to succeed here and become a fan favourite, keep seeing his anonymous performances and think "Jack Rodwell" if we signed him permanently? 🤔

Yes right now no way would I sign him but he wouldn't be such a problem if we had an Ndidi in the side and Traore, who runs around a lot but rarely makes a tackle and gives the ball a lot, once yesterday which led to a very dangerous free-kick. Before the injury he was brilliant against liverpool and we played great at arsenal but Trez doing a lot of donkey work. 

• Like 1

It's clear to see we are a worse team with him in it than when he's not.

El Ghazi must be really confused why he's been dropped after scoring so many goals for someone who doesn't even run. 

• Like 2

Â