Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

if flirting with europe or relegation i think we'll spend. if we're 10th/11th, comfortably safe, but no real chance of europe i don't think we'll do anything

I think we were at maximum FFP this summer and so have no leeway to spend, except borrowing from the summer transfer pot.

Just now, ender4 said:

I think we were at maximum FFP this summer and so have no leeway to spend, except borrowing from the summer transfer pot.

We still have wiggle room this year, even keeping numbers reasonable; A shed load more is possible but would add undue pressure. 

There is no difference ffp wise between this year and next.

Not saying we will spend, or even that we should, just that we can.

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

if we have a very realistic chance of europe i think we'll do just that.

on a totally separate note, if comfortably mid table, i really hope we take the FA cup properly seriously.

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We still have wiggle room this year, even keeping numbers reasonable; A shed load more is possible but would add undue pressure. 

There is no difference ffp wise between this year and next.

Not saying we will spend, or even that we should, just that we can.

I had understood that we had a lot of potential headroom.

I hope that, if we can show that we are not in a relegation battle at Christmas, we can go back in for Rashica in January and he will be more attracted as we can show that we will be in a position to push on for Europe.

It would give us another "gamechanging" option and mean that Jack/Ross/Milot could rotate (be rested)/come off the bench to change/impact games when needed. 

We could have done with that kind of impact on Friday night and Ross, with his recent injury, could have started from the bench.

We will have Wes back hopefully, so have options at 9, but wide and "10" is where we need options for me.  

35 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Could get a loan or two with option to buy at later date which is one way many teams have got round FFP. Sure Spurs signed a player on an 18 month loan deal a while back.

We're still actually in a decent position if we can get 4 points from our next two games. Just had a look and Everton got Newcastle and Man. United next up so with their red cards and injuries they could easily draw those two games or lose of them.

Liverpool have West Ham, Man. City and Leicester as next three so with their issues at the back I only see them winning one of those. Chelsea and Spurs have good fixtures so those two will probably get in top 4.

Way this season is shaping up to be Leicester style one where an outsider or two can break into top 6 at least if they really go for it.

No good us saying "ah we'll give it a go in a season or two" when top 6 will all be back to their best and barely losing a game up to xmas. Sometimes tomorrow never comes in football as we discovered from 2009 onwards.

Edit: Likes of Lansbury and Taylor will only have 6 months left on their deal so you'd think we can finally those two off the wage bill (must be 70k a week for those two combined). Certainly need to get in a younger LB to challenge Targett as we've done on the right side so Taylor out would give us the scope to do it.

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Because it’s traditional, because Saturdays used to be about the football, it’s not actually important to the results or the league table or anything tangible but it used to be part of the fabric of football, in this country at least.

I find it sad that we won’t play a Saturday game until December, I don’t think it’s right to be playing games at 7pm on a Sunday.

I agree with the traditional values, bit like you said, it doesnt axtually matter

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Edit: Likes of Lansbury and Taylor will only have 6 months left on their deal so you'd think we can finally those two off the wage bill (must be 70k a week for those two combined). Certainly need to get in a younger LB to challenge Targett as we've done on the right side so Taylor out would give us the scope to do it.

Knowing that the likes of Lansbury, Taylor and Elmo will be leaving this summer, I'd like to see the club line-up one or two of their eventual replacements in the January window. Bring in a loanee as well and the squad should be solid enough until the end of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Could get a loan or two with option to buy at later date which is one way many teams have got round FFP. Sure Spurs signed a player on an 18 month loan deal a while back.

We're still actually in a decent position if we can get 4 points from our next two games. Just had a look and Everton got Newcastle and Man. United next up so with their red cards and injuries they could easily draw those two games or lose of them.

Liverpool have West Ham, Man. City and Leicester as next three so with their issues at the back I only see them winning one of those. Chelsea and Spurs have good fixtures so those two will probably get in top 4.

Way this season is shaping up to be Leicester style one where an outsider or two can break into top 6 at least if they really go for it.

No good us saying "ah we'll give it a go in a season or two" when top 6 will all be back to their best and barely losing a game up to xmas. Sometimes tomorrow never comes in football as we discovered from 2009 onwards.

I’d like to think that one of our main objectives in the next window or two will be to get a LB that can REPLACE  Targett. For me he’s just not fit or fast enough, think we need a much better physical specimen. 

• Like 1

Just realised that Arsenal (who we play after Southampton), have a UEFA cup game 2 days before our game on the 7th. 

Since it’s a intl break after my understanding is they just have to lump it. This can’t hurt our chances. It’s only Molde who they play but they are the only other team to have won in their group so far. Even if it means 3-4 players not as fresh as normal we might be able to capitalise.

• Like 2

On 26/10/2020 at 13:52, nick76 said:

Based on what? Gut feel, Villa Mgt or Board saying or your own calcs? Just interested.  

A few things:

Near the end of the transfer window, Dean Smith saying we would only get more incomings if we had outgoings first.

Purslow explaining how the first two years we would hindered by being partly under Premier League rules and partly under EFL rules.  Only in the third year, would we have 3 years under Premier League FFP rules.

I did a quick analysis in the transfer thread (about 500 pages ago) where i looked at our probable turnover less wages and what that would leave us i terms of transfer funds each year. It seemed we were pretty close to the maximum allowed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Just realised that Arsenal (who we play after Southampton), have a UEFA cup game 2 days before our game on the 7th. 

Since it’s a intl break after my understanding is they just have to lump it. This can’t hurt our chances. It’s only Molde who they play but they are the only other team to have won in their group so far. Even if it means 3-4 players not as fresh as normal we might be able to capitalise.

I think that all (bar one) of those Saturday 3pm Kick offs are yet to be moved for PPV broadcasts (see my rant in that thread, I mean seriously it's a week and a half away and we don't have an accurate schedule), but I also believe you're right that no matches will be played on the Monday of the international break.

Our game vs Arsenal will therefore almost certainly take place on the Sunday, but I think (again, correct me if I'm wrong) that there is a minimum 48 hours between a club's fixtures. We could then theoretically play them at 8pm on the Saturday night as an alternative, which is the latest kick off time there's been.

On 26/10/2020 at 14:36, GingerCollins29 said:

I agree with the traditional values, bit like you said, it doesnt axtually matter

it's near end of season...you're in a relegation fight...your game is monday night, all your rivals win at the weekend, putting you in the bottom 3 when you were say, 16th and 2 pts clear at start of the weekend. probably would add to the pressure. think it's naive to say it doesn't matter at all...but right now, yes i agree with you

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

It will be moved to the Sunday, just waiting for TV to pick it up (only two games selected on the Sunday so far). Can see it being the 7.15pm kick off.

• Like 1

I'm glad that our game is on Sunday, last week I hated watching PL games after our loss. Atleast you could watch other games with intention for a win. Especially now with me being isolated because of Covid, it would be good to have couple of matches in the pipeline by watching them and looking at Villa benefits plus PL fantasy lol. Would be nice if we can go up top this weekend even if that was for a week.

• Like 1

Â