Have you or someone you know had Covid-19?

Genie

Have you or someone close to you had Covid-19  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had Covid-19?

• Yes, I have had a positive test
    • I haven’t had it but a close family member/friend/colleague/someone I know first hand has
    • No I have not had a positive test neither do I know a close friend/family member/colleague/someone I know first hand who has
    • I am fairly confident I have had it but did not do a test

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

ISTR we had at least two VT regulars who had it quite badly - @Davkaus and @LakotaDakota

Yeah I had it in mid-March. I was quite bad for one night, when I was coughing so badly I was struggling to breathe and came pretty close to calling 999, but the cough tailed off over the next couple of days.

I went a solid 3 months being literally unable to taste or smell anything, and things still aren't normal now, I threw out quite a lot of food that smelled bad, then I realised a few weeks ago that I now perceive onions and petrol to smell the same, which is just bizarre.

My brother-in-law - Matron of the cancer ward at the QA in Cosham - had it horribly, as did my sister-in-law, thankfully they are both OK now. My sister - one of the London Elite 🙄 - was utterly convinced she had it in Feb, she paid for several test kits, I think she gave up after the third test came back negative like all the others.

Edited by bielesibub

Not had it and neither has my parents but know a bunch of people who have had it. Most of them with almost no issues and one who was sick as a dog for more than a month and is still feeling the effects 3 months later. A friend of mine had an old classmate who died from it in April. She was 29 and a bit overweight but no other issues.

I had it at the end of March. Didn't know at the time, because the media then was all about ventilators and breathing difficulties. When I later saw there 6 different groups for symptoms, then I realised. Group 3 matched mine. It was rough for 2 and a bit days, but ironically i didn't go to hospital because of worry about the virus and not wanting to clog up the NHS. I had fairly severe stomach pains and upset, fever, headache, loss of smell ( still got that a bit) muscle aches in legs for a few weeks, very slight breathing issue briefly on 2 days. The smell thing, I didn't even notice till it started coming back - brief moments of ordinary smells, but stronger, then nothing. Wierd.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I amended the wording to capture colleagues. 
Really the intention of that option was people we trust first hand. Not a friend of a friend kind of scenario.

In that case my vote was definitely miscast, as I do trust my neighbour (she's a hospital doctor).

Still don't know if what the wife and I had - persisting right through December, January and February - was COVID or not. She certainly lost taste and smell, I didn't notice that so much, but I had a big loss of appetite, and felt generally awful. 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Luckily that has absolutely nothing to do with this poll but thanks for sharing.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

This is the important bit. People shouldn’t jump to the conclusion that this is some sort of tool to build a conspiracy theory which seems to have happened.

Please take the poll for what it is.

I think maybe you read more of an accusation in to my musings than was intended. I haven’t said the poll is wrong and I haven’t presumed a reason for the poll.

I was chatting stats..

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Still don't know if what the wife and I had - persisting right through December, January and February - was COVID or not. She certainly lost taste and smell, I didn't notice that so much, but I had a big loss of appetite, and felt generally awful. 

There was a lot of this around at the time. The vile company I worked for had a lot of absentees. I was off work with it and it proper knocked me on my arse. My wife had a whole week off which is unprecedented, she's not a skiver like me.

Both far too early for COVID based on what we know, but if we're told in a year that it actually arrived in December I wouldn't be that surprised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

First suspected cases are three members of a choir in Yorkshire returning from Wuhan around 17th December

57 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

There was a lot of this around at the time. The vile company I worked for had a lot of absentees. I was off work with it and it proper knocked me on my arse. My wife had a whole week off which is unprecedented, she's not a skiver like me.

Both far too early for COVID based on what we know, but if we're told in a year that it actually arrived in December I wouldn't be that surprised.

Suspect I might have had it (mildly) in March but haven’t had a test as they were somewhat scarce then. 
It was the official cause of death for my auntie in May (in a care home). She’d been at deaths door for several years though so if anything it would have been the straw that broke the camels back. 
My brother is a paramedic and says he’s seeing about 5 or 6 cases a day in brum right now. 
Other than that, my family and social circles have been largely untouched. Even of those working in the NHS, only a couple I know have had positive tests and they’ve both had very mild symptoms. 

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t know anyone that died in the holocaust and I’ve never met anyone that’s been shot.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think maybe you read more of an accusation in to my musings than was intended. I haven’t said the poll is wrong and I haven’t presumed a reason for the poll.

I was chatting stats..

What was meant by the Holocaust and being shot comment then? Its completely irrelevant.
This is a small poll about the good men and women of VT’s experience of the virus after a couple of people I know said they didn’t know of a single person who had it.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

What was meant by the Holocaust and being shot comment then? Its completely irrelevant.
This is a small poll about the good men and women of VT’s experience of the virus after a couple of people I know said they didn’t know of a single person who had it.

What was meant by that, was that a small poll can show less accurate results than a large poll. It’s kind of a statement of fact.

I don’t know anyone lost in the holocaust, or 9/11, or IRA bombings, or a car crash, or asbestosis, and so if I take part in a small number poll, I will skew the result away from the more accurate figure. 

It really isn’t irrelevant, it just might not be what you want to read. I thought I’d talk about stats and polls, I hadn’t appreciated your thread wasn’t to be used for that. But again, it really wasn’t my intention to pick a fight and I wasn’t claiming you were on the side of David Icke or any of those. I can’t really see what there is to get upset about to be honest? But clearly you are, so I’m happy to just shut up about it.

4-C1-E1-CB9-883-C-4-E95-92-ED-2-DF8-C88-

Hello Sir, we’re doing a survey about how you got into the town centre today. Can I ask, did you drive, walk, use public transport or “other”?

@chrisp65 : This is a waste of time and effort. How many people are you going to survey? I’ve never even seen a volcano erupt.

:lol: 

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

4-C1-E1-CB9-883-C-4-E95-92-ED-2-DF8-C88-

Hello Sir, we’re doing a survey about how you got into the town centre today. Can I ask, did you drive, walk, use public transport or “other”?

@chrisp65 : This is a waste of time and effort. How many people are you going to survey? I’ve never even seen a volcano erupt.

:lol: 

Well I did offer to shut up.

But let’s keep banging on about it.

If there was already a survey about how you got in to town, and there were already 370,000 participants, this would likely be more accurate than a poorly thought out survey where the options are changed after the poll has already started and something less than 370,000 people take part.

Just my opinion, man.

• Haha 1

Not known by me, but a friend of my daughter had this to say: 

Yesterday was an anniversary, of sorts. 6 months since I was tested positive for Covid-19. 6 months of being sick. Of learning about the virus along with medical professionals. Of finding my new normal. As we move towards the winter months, on the brink of a second wave, and lockdown looms large, I wanted to speak, again, about how we need to be taking this seriously. I wanted to talk about how I check my o2 levels frequently, monitor my heart rate constantly, take inhalers and medications to try and soothe my scarred and tired lungs, relieve the pain in my joints, boost my immune system. I can’t leave the house without a walking stick now. I was approved for a blue disabled parking badge, forcing me to acknowledge my new limitations. I sleep for hours at a time and still feel exhausted, completely debilitated by fatigue. Symptoms come and go, and even now, six months later, new symptoms are affecting my everyday life. I still can’t work, I still can’t be spontaneous. Even taking a shower is a carefully planned and considered event, and - depending on whether or not I faint in the shower - anything up to a couple of hours is needed to rest afterwards. I am still in my 20s. I was healthy before I caught covid. Now making a sandwich feels like an accomplishment. I know that lockdown feels scarier in the winter, that longer evenings and colder days feel lonelier. But understand that covid hasn’t gone anywhere, and the ‘two week and it’s done’ narrative isn’t always true. Be careful. Be safe. Be responsible. Wear your mask. Look after yourself and your loved ones. Stay healthy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I know this wasn't what @Genie was saying in the OP, but I've seen this argument in various places (not VT) from various people. That they don't know anyone who had it so it can't be true.

@chrisp65 's post highlights why. People can't wrap their head around big numbers. 

They can't comprehend that while 40,000 dead is a huge number when you're talking about people dying, it's a tiny number in terms of proportion of the population.

• Like 2

Â